Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 9

Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Congrats Casinva and dsober on five months sober! Way to go!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Thanks dSober and Glee! My youngest (15) who is in NY actually remembered and sent me a text, which was really sweet. Hubby gave me a card. I'm thinking to myself - if this is what it's going to be like every month, I can get used to this!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Casinva - it's nice that your family supports your sobriety.

I hope everyone has a great day!!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

I've been neglecting my faith for a long time. I know it is because I know that I have been living outside of God's will for me. Tonight I was having those familiar feelings of anxiety and sadness that led me to drink. I decided I'd fight these feelings by spending time in God's word. I simply opened my bible to where the bookmark was and this is what I read "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self control, perseverance; and to perseverance godliness..." And the passage goes on.

I know not everyone is a believer, but this was almost like God laying out recovery. Trust in him, do good, learn about him and what he desires for you, practice self- control and persevere during those difficult times. He will reward your efforts. Break it down to two words: self-control and perseverance.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by casinva View Post
I'm thinking to myself - if this is what it's going to be like every month, I can get used to this!
Me too. My kids always loved me, and I them. But now it shows a lot more!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingIn View Post
I've been neglecting my faith for a long time.
I've been developing mine for a long time, especially lately.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I miss the Febbies. Welcome Dsober!

I bought a Pruis after the accident. So honestly my husband and I failed terribly at being sober. I feel like this is goal out of reach, yet I want it. Crazy.

Glee keep strong, you inspire me.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Miss you, too, torn. You are always in my thoughts and heart.

Don't let the desire for sobriety drop from your radar screen. I truly believe it will progress from a blip to an all-encompassing reality for you.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
I feel like this is goal out of reach.
Why?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Torn - Change can seem overwhelming; that's why people take sobriety one day at a time. Remember to call on us before you drink. Together we strengthen each others' resolve. For me, personally, coming here helped talk me down from the ledge when I had cravings early on. There is always someone on SR any time of day or night.

DiggingIn - Your deepening spirituality is a real gift of sobriety. Mine has deepened in sobriety, for sure. I was raised in a religious family but my adolescent experiences left me thinking that God abandoned me. When I went to AA five months ago, I was ticked off that we were expected to say a couple prayers, but desperate enough to get sober to ignore my frustration. Since then, I've grown more spiritual, and even come to believe that I have a higher power - though I'm still trying to figure out how to access it.

DSober - what's your spiritual process been like?

Leigh - Always a pleasure to hear from you! I picture you all purple, pink, sparkly and surrounded by stars!!

Have a nice day Febbies!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
DSober - what's your spiritual process been like?
Oh boy, I knew I was gonna get asked that sooner or later. Thanks for asking.

In a nutshell, it was very long and painful. I described the beginnings of my recovery here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...where-god.html

Since then, I've been continuing to enhance my recovery and plan to continue to do so for the rest of my life. I feel fantastic now and fully expect to feel better every day, except for some occasional glitches of course.

Hmm, relooking at my post back then, maybe I should have a talk with my sponsor about the sobriety date he assigned me since I couldn't remember.... Nah, I like it here.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Oh boy, I knew I was gonna get asked that sooner or later. Thanks for asking.

In a nutshell, it was very long and painful. I described the beginnings of my recovery here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...where-god.html

Since then, I've been continuing to enhance my recovery and plan to continue to do so for the rest of my life. I feel fantastic now and fully expect to feel better every day, except for some occasional glitches of course.

Hmm, relooking at my post back then, maybe I should have a talk with my sponsor about the sobriety date he assigned me since I couldn't remember.... Nah, I like it here.
Stick with the Febbies; they are an amazing group which now includes dSober.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Hi all, still following along, still sober.

I finished Kick the drink easily by Jason Vale. I cant recomend it enough. I really feel free as I actually dont want to drink! It takes no effort to avoid something you dont want to do!

Ive been doing a lot of fishing, a lot of reading and DVD watching about fishing and general study its good to find something to take up your time. Ive also started going to church every sunday and continuing with my counselling.

take care all.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Now cut that out Leigh.

I love this place.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you can do it Torn.
There's easier ways and harder ways tho.

The worst way is to put off doing anything until you lose just about everything.
That was my way.

Be smarter than me

D
Old 07-26-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Gazza - Congratulations on 5 months sober. I am so glad that you're out there enjoying your sober life, simply and fully!

dsober - I read your thread on finding your spiritual journey. It was a long read, but an interesting one. I would best describe my spiritual status as budding, and I'm hopefully optimistic that it will continue to grow. I have a sense that my growth in sobriety and my spirituality are one in the same. Having faith is so new to me that I don't have words to describe it yet, just feelings/senses about it every now and then, something that I am unable to quantify, describe, or explain, that I struggle to put into words.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I feel like a disappointment. I care so deeply about other people, even people I don't know including this. I screwed up and I lost some points today for school, but on the otherhand school is going great. My husband has no idea I have a secret vodka stash, I'm ashamed. I'm also mad that my therapy cost thousands I'm glad I quit when I did, but the bills are still there.

I'm pretty happy and fortunate to know all of you.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never too late to write a new ending to your story Torn
D
Old 07-27-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
I'm pretty happy and fortunate to know all of you.
I feel the same way now torn except I'd change the word "pretty" to "VERY". That includes YOU! You are very special to me! You're special because you're here and you're trying.

The past is finished. It's a closed book for me now. You just keep coming back and you will see that you can close yours too and start a whole new one. A wonderful new book with amazing chapters that aren't yet written or even imagined.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I have a sense that my growth in sobriety and my spirituality are one in the same...
I feel they're intermingled but not quite the same, at least at first. They depend upon each other, to be sure. It's obvious at first. While some currently believe otherwise, you can't grow your spirituality while intoxicated. It's also hard to achieve initial sobriety without some kind of spirituality. You must achieve some basic level of both to really begin your journey. After that, you're more correct, IMHO. I now see ongoing and increased sobriety as very much the same thing as ongoing and increased spirituality.