Administrator

Class of January 2014 Part 9

Our last part is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-8-a-20.html

D
Old 05-11-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Class,

Happy Mothers Day to all the wonderful moms out there.

Wishing all of you a wonderful day today and always.

The nerve pain is back and it is awful. I'm going to have to take some time away from the computer. I wanted to let you know so you wouldn't just think I'm not checking in anymore. I hold each and everyone of you in my heart. That will not change.

I'll try to peek in from time to time if I'm able.

I would love to keep up by phone so if any of you like, we'll do that.

I'll still be praying for you and wishing you WELL!

L&L,
Kris
Old 05-11-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better soon Kris - take care

D
Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all you Mommy's out there!

111 days sober today! I really miss posting in here but I am just so eat up for time now days With DUI classes and AA and work and....I could go on and on but I wont lol.

I have been feeling great! Working on my 4th step which is a personal house cleaning, and boy do I need it, I had forgotten some of the DARK **** I had done in my life...oh well as they say the truth shall set you free!

Congrats to all those with 4 months either coming up, or come and gone! We are freaking doing it! While sometimes life still sucks, these moments are temporary, and they too shall pass!

Heard a great quote the other day - "How beautiful it is to stay silent when someone expects you to be enraged" Being a guy who has really easy to push buttons, this little mantra has changed my life, I just gotta remember that there are certain things I can and cant control in this life, but I will always be able to control my reaction to things.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Our thoughts are with you Kris, feel better.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kris, I know I haven't posted for awhile but just checking in and saw your post. I hope that you are able to get some treatment and relief for your pain. Sending you all my love and healing thoughts. Hi everyone else and so proud of how you are all doing. I am ok just been sorting myself out. Thinking of you all xxx
Old 05-11-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love that quote Irelander - thanks for sharing it - great to hear from you!

Kris - sending healing thoughts and prayers.

Happy Mothers day to all the moms who are celebrating today.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I'm checking in on a relaxing and peaceful Mother's Day, feeling quite content and grounded today and hoping the same for everyone. I hope all the Mom's out there were honored today, I know from first hand experience it's a labor of love.

Kris, I hope you find some relief from the pain soon, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lovely quote, IreLander and the saying "Silence is Golden" rings true. The tongue is mightier than the sword also comes to mind; words spoken in anger can leave scars that last a lifetime.

Sending hugs and warm wishes to all my classmates.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Kris for your continued support. Always think of yourself first and please take good care of yourself. We will be fine and we will be forever grateful for your caring personality.

Hope to see you back on again if you come back sometime in the future.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So I basically spent time at my mom's grave today and reflected on how much she meant to me. I kinda had a very cold awkward situation pop up recently last week with some family and I decided to vent on facebook rather indirectly how I felt about feeling like I'm not part of my extended family anymore and that my mom was my only protector. I may offend some extended family as a result and it might be considered a very off color status update from me but I needed to be honest about how I feel about my family and allow them to realize that... Maybe a weird time to reveal on Mother's Day but hey, it needed to be a little bittersweet.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((scf)))

d
Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

God gave us friends to make up for our relatives.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello group!!
figured I should start to try posting again since someone on here told me it would a good idea.

4 months and 3 days today. In all honesty, I miss drinking, and almost every day has been a battle. But battling on!
Don't know what else to do. I know I can't drink, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to. Hopefully more time will. I'm trying to think of another situation in life that compares to this? hmmmmmm......
Maybe like someone with really bad lactose intolerance? They want ice cream sooo bad but know it makes them sick, but they really, really crave it so they think "Maybe if I just have a spoonful? but its so good they can't stop and eat the whole bowl and they get horribly sick. For a few months the memory is fresh and they don't dare eat it until one day.....oooo that chocolate sundae looks soooooo good.
I don't know, Im rambling!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

SCF: My mom was the glue that held our family together, and the link between me and my extended family. It is hard to feel like you lost a lot more than one person.

Arctic - it's great to hear from you but sorry to hear you are struggling. In the past I have really had a hard time with just removing alcohol. I feel like I had to make some big changes in my life or else I would just obsess about "what was missing'. Even if it's taking up a new hobby, or a new exercise, or just something to kind of get excited about and take up some mental energy, it can really help. If day after day is just hanging on, you can burn out on sobriety when really tough times come.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted your feelings, ArticSA. Getting it out there and validating them will help get them out of your head, and sharing with others who understand what you are sharing helps. I agree with Adee, I think we need to start filling our time with more rewarding and productive activities. I took the first step today and enrolled in a yoga class that starts a week from tomorrow, something I have wanted to do for many years.

For years ArticSA, drinking was our idea of fun, relaxation and escape. You hit your bottom with alcohol when it stopped working for you. It turned on you Artic and you fought to escape it! Don't allow your AV to take up space in your head. Write it out, if you must, the reasons you decided to quit. In times like this, it is easy to forget and fall prey to the lure of pleasurable times that haven't existed in many years.

The class I signed up for is offered through the community center. Why not take a look at what is being offered in your area? Give yourself something to look forward to, Artic, some me time that will recharge your batteries.

You can do this ArticSA and we are here to offer our support and encouragement.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey arctic

to stop myself from missing drinking I really had to change my life - find new goals, new priorities, new rewards, new coping strategies....

how much have you done in changing your life apart from the non drinking?

D
Old 05-12-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
I'm glad you posted your feelings, ArticSA. Getting it out there and validating them will help get them out of your head, and sharing with others who understand what you are sharing helps. I agree with Adee, I think we need to start filling our time with more rewarding and productive activities. I took the first step today and enrolled in a yoga class that starts a week from tomorrow, something I have wanted to do for many years.

For years ArticSA, drinking was our idea of fun, relaxation and escape. You hit your bottom with alcohol when it stopped working for you. It turned on you Artic and you fought to escape it! Don't allow your AV to take up space in your head. Write it out, if you must, the reasons you decided to quit. In times like this, it is easy to forget and fall prey to the lure of pleasurable times that haven't existed in many years.

The class I signed up for is offered through the community center. Why not take a look at what is being offered in your area? Give yourself something to look forward to, Artic, some me time that will recharge your batteries.

You can do this ArticSA and we are here to offer our support and encouragement.
Really wonderful words, thanks. I find myself reading them over and over again. It did turn on me didn't it?!?! I need to keep telling myself its the enemy, not an old friend dearly missed. The enemy!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey arctic

to stop myself from missing drinking I really had to change my life - find new goals, new priorities, new rewards, new coping strategies....

how much have you done in changing your life apart from the non drinking?

D
Not much Dee....I did get my my wonderful new boy, an older, gentle huge white Quarterhorse gelding. He is turning out to be huge motivation. He does a LOT of doody,heheh. And the other day I was out there for an hour and half shoveling and hauling manure in the 70 degree heat(not adjusted yet, felt like the Sahara Desert) and I simply, no way, could've done that hungover.

The hard part is, my biggest triggers are boating, cook-outs, and just family get togethers with extended family. Also me and my hubby used to spend so many evenings just sitting together drinking till we got drunk and being ridiculous and feeling young and silly and it was so much fun.

I can't very well stop hanging out with my family/husband. I know I sound like Im just making problems or whining but gosh, I am really, truly worried and almost sick when I think about this summer when I will be SURROUNDED by open water and sunshine and oldies playing on the radio and 14 people drinking..........am I supposed to beg off all these get togethers?!?
Oy vey....
Old 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's good to remember that just because you've done all these things drinking in the past, it's definitely time for a change.

Don't be afraid not to go to things if you feel vulnerable. You will be able to do anything in time - but don't rush it

Make sure you have support and use it Arctic

D
Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Arctic, I wrote you a very long post, referring to your posts going back to more than a year ago, wanting to make you see the cycle you are repeating. How can I reach you, tell you that you are romanticizing something that has caused you nothing but despair. The memories that are flooding your brain now are selective, your conniving AV trying to lure you back into the cycle. If it is romantic times with your husband you are craving, try going for long walks together in the evening, date nights with a sitter set up in advance, massage, anything is better than sitting together polishing of 30 beers, so NOT romantic or fun. Play the tape through Artic, it's not going to be a night sitting together enjoying a drink or two, by now you know how the story will end.

Now, snap out of it so I can get off of my and you can shut down that AV and continue this journey