Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 7

Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

SayAnything - I have the same peer pressure with the same ridiculous mentality.

Good job saying no, and not picking up a glass while cooking. I "play the tape to the end" when I'm cooking. The classy glass of wine while cooking doesn't look so innocent when I see myself passed out at the end of the night, and how limited my life feels the next morning between headache, regret, and intensified agoraphobic tendencies!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

I'm about to force myself out of the house. I think I'll take the dog to my parents. They have a bigger yard for her to wander around. I realized I haven't opened my curtains all week. Sounds weird, but I recognize that as a sign that I'm feeling a little more depressed than usual. Time to be a part of life. Going to dinner tonight with a friend I've had since middle school.

I don't know how you guys, with all this added stress cope so well. I still sometimes have days where I fight going to get wine hour by hour. I'm grateful that it's not every day though.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

DI - I've posted something similar where I feel bad for some of the problems I'm hearing here, IOP, and AA.

I think while others have more or less problems we all have one common one. Addiction.

We're still going to need to work on it. In IOP, hardly anyone seems to talk about current cravings. Maybe because the courts are testing then randomly all the time. I think if I knew I'd be tested any hour, fail and go to jail, cravings would be more easily squished knowing consequences are very severe.

I'm just saying your concerns are as valid as anyone else.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
I had a very angry day. My husband was complaining about Easter plans and I said you get to at least drink. He said it's not his fault I can't handle my liquor. I just let that one go. Then I go buy his moms gift ant lunch and eat at a BBQ lunch. I'm in a weight loss challenge and he joked, I thought it was weight off and not weight on. Typically I get the jokes, he's not an *******, but people at work we're being difficult, so I told him to knock off the comments.

He apologized and said the joke was lost. I know now. I was mad because people don't want to take the time to do their work. Just shrug their hands, say I don't know let's ignore the problem. Ugh!

So then I'm like getting a bad case of the fu????k its and start thinking about Southern Comfort. IOP last night was a presentation about how to budget money. Two hours!

So I'm driving to IOP, knowing that hubby is out having drinks and watching sports tonight. I'm tired as hell going to work two hours earlier to go to IOP, and maintain 50 work hrs.

I start envisioning what I'm going to say to the counselor, like a smart ass, I'm Hungry on a weight loss thing, Angry about work and Easter, Loney, hubby gone tonight and Tired. See if he picks up on what I just did HALT.

Group was ok tonight. By time it was my turn, it as time to go but I shared how I almost just said screw this and bought a bottle but came to group instead.

On the way home, I decided not to buy the booze again. Would've been easy too, especially with hubby out.

I bought Oreo brownies. I'm like 7 pounds over my BMI. I decided eff the diet.

Now I'm fed, with kitty and in bed.

I wonder about the drama too. I feel bored and I do like a bit of crazy and different. I'm sticking to IOP but I don't think it is the best. I really enjoy the counselor . However, he talks about his life lots, and it feels like just a share fest and almost only about court, guns, sports. It's been two weeks and he's not covered relapse info or talked about cravings. I still don't have a plan or phone number to reach them if I miss a day. So unorganized, I think my first IOP was better years ago. I still have addiction handouts, brain information, really good stuff. They no longer had night IOP though. I wonder if an AA meeting would've worked just as fine without all the cost if IOP for tonight's craving.

Ramble ramble, I'll stop now.

Have to get to work early to do AA!
So glad that you stayed strong, torn; you showed great resolve. Happy for, and very proud of, you.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingIn View Post
Oops. . . Hit send too early. Anyway in dream my former friend was being nice to me. Invited me out to watch some live music. In the dream it felt very normal and natural. Woke up today with feelings of loss, sadness and loneliness. I don't miss who she became, but I miss who she was.
Funny, isn't it, how people enter our dream world as if in a previous time or as if they have never left our conscious world or physical world. It is odd how they can exist in that subconscious state without any hint of reality. I have read where in dreams our subconscious attempts to resolve what our consciousness fails to do.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SayAnything View Post
My sister has things going on and I feel kind of helpless here. She lives about 3 hours drive from me and went through a really crappy, crazy divorce in the last couple of years. Her ex wasted no time and got remarried (good riddance and poor new wife!) But it's been hard on the kids. Her teenage daughter has been cutting and had been in the hospital briefly for it. Now she just found out that she's been drinking. Not party drinking with her friends, but drinking alone at night, mostly to sleep and to replace the cutting. It's heart-breaking. I don't want to see her end up on this board someday. I wish I knew what to do. I don't get to see her often and my kids are closer to her younger brother's age. I guess the good thing is that she (my sister) is free of her oppressive marriage and is a much stronger person that provides a safe home for her kids. And at least they found out what they're dealing with. It was really tough, especially on my sister, when our mom died 8 years ago. They were really close. I know she misses having her to talk to. I'm not the greatest of comforting shoulders to cry on.

I haven't told anyone my struggles with alcohol. They know I drink occasionally, but I have no family in town and no one has any idea the extent of my dependence or of my decision to abstain. I'm thinking maybe I should share this with her because it might be helpful. Or it might be more of a burden for her to know. IDK. All my family think I'm perfect and the perfect mother. But if it could help her deal with her daughter, then it's time to shatter that image. I always feel guilty when they say, "You're such a great mom!" etc. Not that I'm not a good mom in a lot of ways, but they don't know what it's like for me here.

Last night, I was cooking dinner, and I actually started to reach for my glass of wine. I love having a glass (or 2) while I'm cooking! It felt really weird having to stop in my tracks for a second and think, "I don't drink anymore." There was just a moment of sadness and regret, but then it passed. I know it's early in my recovery, but it kind of threw me. I guess it probably won't be the last time.

bunny!
Hey, SA. If I was in your sister's shoes, I think that I would want my sister to share her struggles with me. It might give me that sense of "at least I am not alone in this; this happens to other good people, too". But that is just me, family dynamics can be very complicated.

When I open a certain cabinet in my kitchen, I see the everyday wine glasses - my previous "go-to" wine glasses. Not often but sometimes, I reach for one before realizing I don't drink any more and sometimes I get that sense of "loss" but mostly it's now a "thank God, no more" moment; it will get easier with time, I promise.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
SayAnything - I have the same peer pressure with the same ridiculous mentality.

Good job saying no, and not picking up a glass while cooking. I "play the tape to the end" when I'm cooking. The classy glass of wine while cooking doesn't look so innocent when I see myself passed out at the end of the night, and how limited my life feels the next morning between headache, regret, and intensified agoraphobic tendencies!
Good grief, YES. I used to feel so sophisticated and metropolitan when I had a glass of wine in hand when cooking. Just another "illusion".
Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

I have had a really difficult week. Been battling a couple different viruses, one of which has settled in my lungs which is bad news for me. I have all my meds, inhalers, nebulizers, etc., but every "attack" to that area seems to further weaken my respiratory system.

Also, since my Mom's death in December my brother has been a very difficult person; he was totally uninvolved in my Mom's care (but I never "called him on it") and has now completely distanced himself from me and the rest of the family. I have tried to reach him by landline, cell, and by e-mail dozens of time with no response. I finally saw him yesterday and he would not even speak to me - it was a totally one-sided conversation with me asking for understanding regarding the alienation, telling him that I loved him and did not want to lose him and on and on; he completely ignored me (sad to say, I think he delighted in this) and would not even look at me. I have lost tons of sleep over this situation over the last few months. This alienation also separates me from my sister-in-law and nieces and nephews.

I have been pretty much of a basket case - there has been must so much loss recently and cumulatively in my life and I am finding it so hard to deal with this unnecessary and cruel one.

The thought of a glass of wine (actually more) crossed my mind more than once yesterday.

So, anyway, I am truly sick, tired and numb.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

SL - I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. I'm also sorry your brother is distancing himself. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I know we are always are going to be in recovery and that's why the wine thought crept up. I'm glad you said no to the AV and are here with the Febbies.

I know being sick isn't any fun. I'm still coughing and wheezing. I'm worried about it also going in the lungs. Please take care and see a doctor if you need too and try and get some rest. :hug
Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Thanks, torn. Doc's on board. So true, we are always going to be in recovery; our old coping "tools" will always come to mind and that demonic, s.o.b AV will always try to find a way back in - always searching for an open window or a door left ajar.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

((((SoberLeigh)))) You sound like you're at your tipping point. Being sick can make everything seem overwhelming. Good job not drinking. Family dynamics are a challenge. I don't know your role in the family, but here I see a nurturing, sensitive, empathic individual with a really big heart. Now that your brother knows how you feel, the ball is in his court to decide on how enmeshed he will be with the family. We need to let folks know they are welcome in our lives and we also need respect their choices of how much time they spend with us. One of the best things my mother did for our relationship was give me space to heal and grow, to stop telling me to spend more time with her, to stop telling our extended family she felt abandoned, to accept me and let me be me.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you're in a bad place SL, physical illness seems to make all other problems feel far, far worse, I hope the pain becomes more bearable soon, you certainly don't deserve to be unhappy you're a beacon of hope in here

I remembered an interesting fact that felt like an apt metaphor for when bad times hit, it was that buildings such as skyscrapers used to be built as solid and rigid as possible, the idea being that the tougher they are the more of an earthequake they could stand, but the concept was flawed in that a completly rigid structure in an earthquake ends up shaking itself apart. What they do now is build the structure to flex and bend with force, so that any force acting on it doesn't damage the structure because it has some give, I found in the last month or so that when a bad time or seemingly impossible emotion knocks at my door, I just let it in. The earthquake happens but I just allow myself to feel it and sooner or later it subsides. It's not an easy ride at all, but I think this is where I failed in the past. I tell myself "It hurts." then I reply to myself "I know, keep going."

Hope all are well out there and wishing everyone all the strength in the world
Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Thanks, dear Febbies -

Gleefan - You are right; hard as it is, I am have to and am going to give my brother space. Very sadly, I don't think that he will re-enter my life but at least, as he is not deaf, he knows how I feel.

LonelyShadow - So true. I do have to let the emotion in, experience it, deal with it and find a place for it within my being where it can do no harm.

Love to all; so glad you are in my life.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

I really hope the situation gets better soon SoberLeigh, I'd say focus on getting yourself physically well first of all
Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
I really hope the situation gets better soon SoberLeigh, I'd say focus on getting yourself physically well first of all
Thanks, LS. I do need to concentrate on getting well; not to be too graphic but crying just creates more mucous and that just further aggravates an already aggravated respiratory system which doesn't need more aggravation.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

SL - I hope there's someone around to fix you a bowl of soup!

image-1986902845.jpg

Feel better soon!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Soberleigh Sorry to hear about your mother's passing and your brother being difficult. Wish there was something I ould do. Sending you get thoughts and prayers.

On the cravings thing in the book 'under the influence' it says these are often caused by nutrition. After drinking the cells of the body adjust to the prescence of alcohol and become accustomed to it. They cry out for it. The book mentions avoiding cafine, pastry, sugar and high GI foods. Its basically a diet for hypoglycemia. Ive also heard there are AA groups called No Whites Allowed where people only eat low GI foods, no white sugar, flour, spuds etc.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
Soberleigh Sorry to hear about your mother's passing and your brother being difficult. Wish there was something I ould do. Sending you get thoughts and prayers.

On the cravings thing in the book 'under the influence' it says these are often caused by nutrition. After drinking the cells of the body adjust to the prescence of alcohol and become accustomed to it. They cry out for it. The book mentions avoiding cafine, pastry, sugar and high GI foods. Its basically a diet for hypoglycemia. Ive also heard there are AA groups called No Whites Allowed where people only eat low GI foods, no white sugar, flour, spuds etc.
Thanks, Gazza.

Uh-oh; I am doomed, so doomed, as caffeine and sugar are staples. On the bright side, I also consume really great foods daily (almonds, blueberries, flaxseeds, yogurt, whole grains, green veggies, very lean meat). But I have been a real Cookie Monster as far back as I can remember and coffee is my first thought in the morning. I will take your advice to heart, though, and start really cutting back. Warning, warning, I may be a Royal B.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Gazza, I've read that as well. We crave sugars after quitting the drinks. My old book was quitting drinking without AA. It said the same thing about diet.

I understand the concept, but it was booze or brownies last night. : )

One battle at a time. Sugar is next to go!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Torn - and when the AV is really screaming, you can put a couple scoops of ice cream atop the brownie and, if that doesn't quite do it, you can pour hot chocolate atop the ice cream and you can progress to adding M & M's or Nestle's Chocolate Chip morsels.

Happy you chose the brownie, torn.