Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 2

Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Day 5 begins. I feel ok not drinking and I know I'll continue to feel better BUT I'm worried about the day that will come when I feel so good and so normal that I forget I have a problem and pick up a drink again.
I've been thinking about this a lot too...
Old 01-01-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Fdm

Made a crockpot vegetarian chili today, took a good nap, did a little shopping, went to the car wash and just finished a hard 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Back to work tomorrow. :-( Back to stress.

Wish me luck!

War Eagle!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

5 days today - Happy to bring in the new year sober Happy New Year to all of you
Old 01-01-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 5 begins. I feel ok not drinking and I know I'll continue to feel better BUT I'm worried about the day that will come when I feel so good and so normal that I forget I have a problem and pick up a drink again.
Regular posting here helped me - it's hard to argue the problem when it's there in black and white...or it was for me anyway.

D
Old 01-01-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

I actually felt the same way when I quit a 20 year smoking addiction, the first 6 months were difficult but I am not even tempted any more some 10 years later. I am strengthened by the fact that I just accomplished sobriety during the holiday season that allowed drinking at every turn. I will never feel totally free but am confident that it will get easier like conquering my smoking addiction did. I found companionship and support in an online chat group (years ago) for smoking cessation which was one of the keys to my success, I'm hoping to find the same here, I hope you do as well!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Thanks folks. I am heading out into a situation that might be triggering for me. Can't really avoid it. Posting here to affirm I won't pick up and will check in again when I get back.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Thanks folks. I am heading out into a situation that might be triggering for me. Can't really avoid it. Posting here to affirm I won't pick up and will check in again when I get back.
Very cool , see you when you're back
Old 01-02-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 121313 View Post
I actually felt the same way when I quit a 20 year smoking addiction, the first 6 months were difficult but I am not even tempted any more some 10 years later. I am strengthened by the fact that I just accomplished sobriety during the holiday season that allowed drinking at every turn. I will never feel totally free but am confident that it will get easier like conquering my smoking addiction did. I found companionship and support in an online chat group (years ago) for smoking cessation which was one of the keys to my success, I'm hoping to find the same here, I hope you do as well!
Thanks for sharing, knowing that there is a path ahead in all this is very encouraging.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Back safe and sound and in one piece!

Nite nite all. Day 5 over and out.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Well done TigerLili! It's really strange, you go to sleep, but it's the middle of the day where I am.

I read about AVKR (or something like that, don't remember the acronym), about the Addictiv Voice. And as I was reading about it, the same time I decided that I wont drink again. And instead of blaming myself and feeling guilty and thinking I am an alcoholic, I will just not drink anymore. I don't need to blame myself. I did what I did, but now I have to move forward. And the moment I decided this, I felt so relived again!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 20. Keeping on going..
Old 01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Day 6!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muhv View Post
Well done TigerLili! It's really strange, you go to sleep, but it's the middle of the day where I am.

I read about AVKR (or something like that, don't remember the acronym), about the Addictiv Voice. And as I was reading about it, the same time I decided that I wont drink again. And instead of blaming myself and feeling guilty and thinking I am an alcoholic, I will just not drink anymore. I don't need to blame myself. I did what I did, but now I have to move forward. And the moment I decided this, I felt so relived again!
Learning to recognise the addictive voice (AV) has really helped me.

PS it's about 7am Friday here :-)
Old 01-02-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Fdm

Tough tonight.

Between having an incompetent coasting boss, feeling like a number at work, and no "friends" at work, I'm struggling tonight.

I love what I do, but hate the environment. Lots of sneaky snakes, backstabbers, cloak and dagger secrecy, and overall dumbassery.

I'm good at what I do too.

Like I said, I'm struggling.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

6 days for me today - Trying to breath through my anxiety & keep busy (keeping busy isn't usually a problem for me) it's the "taking it easy" when I need to. Don't take that first drink - I wish it was just as simple as that....it should be. On my way to the gym with my son. You all are doing GREAT!!!! You encourage me
Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep asking yourself how would drinking help any of that fdm
D
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Day 12.The AV is getting to me some today, telling me all the expected ridiculous ******** that I know is not true (mostly, as the permanence starts to freak me out, that drinking normally is an option at some point). I know it's not. I know that 1000% and yet the voice is there. It's crazy, really. Not dissimilar to my mom's voice in my head -- I know the words aren't true but they affect me nonetheless.

Those thoughts aside, I feel really, really good. NYE was fun and after stumbling through my initial responses when people offered me a glass of champagne, it was totally fine. I was more quiet than usual but I didn't make a fool of myself either. A net positive.

Welcome to the recent joiners! The check-in with this group really helps me.

Jackie
Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 122213 View Post
Day 12.The AV is getting to me some today, telling me all the expected ridiculous ******** that I know is not true (mostly, as the permanence starts to freak me out, that drinking normally is an option at some point). I know it's not. I know that 1000% and yet the voice is there. It's crazy, really.
My AV is saying the exact same things to me tonight.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rule #1. The AV lies to get what it wants.

D
Old 01-02-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Hi all
Not sure if this is where I should be posting. Need somewhere to check into. This is day one for me :/