Class of January 2013 pt 5

Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many Happy Returns Siesta

D
Old 02-23-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Siesta -- Congratulations on 50 days! Fantastic!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Hi all ... I haven't posted in what seems like ages, but wanted to touch base. Obviously, I'm hopelessly out of date with everyone's journey toward sobriety.

Woodhead ... I did catch your post and, like others, you and your son are in my prayers. Stressful times create the temptation to drink, but you have stood strong. You should feel good about that.

Day 55 for me. My wife and I went to dinner last night and I wished I could have enjoyed a glass of wine, but we all know where that would have led. Instead I had ice tea and rejoiced when the bill came ... eating out is so much cheaper when you don't drink alcohol!

Besides avoiding the negative effects of drinking, the other side of the spectrum ... the positive effects of not drinking have been tremendous. Every so often I do the math in my head of how much money I've saved this year by not drinking. Incredible.

I'm also feeling better physically than I have in years. For years I was a distance runner, but my motivation and ambition slowly ebbed away ... especially over the last few years. Yet one more thing that alcohol took from me. Now I'm beginning to feel the old competitive juices flowing and am excited to get back to running. I've lost about 10 pounds so that, in and of itself, will make a tremendous difference.

Even though I don't post here often, I frequently draw strength from knowing that this community of souls exists. When I think of the commitment each of you has made to better your life, I can only draw strength from that realization. We're not perfect, but we've displayed the courage to face down our demons and fears, and become the people we dream of being.

Great job classmates! Soon February will be in our rear view mirror as we make our way through March.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks to all of you who have offered your thoughts on my situation. I'm still reeling from my son's actions and arrests - it's as if I don't know him anymore. He is not the sweet little boy that I used to take fishing. He has made a bad path that will follow him the rest of his life. When he gets out of jail I will welcome him with open arms, and if he wants it we can begin again.

Thanks again SR buddies. You are one of the main reasons that I am 40 days sober today.
Best,
W
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hi, everybody. I haven't been posting too much either, but I read everyone's posts on a regular basis. For those struggling, hang in there because you are worth it. And congrats to those hitting milestones!

As for me, everything is just a whirlwind right now. Still seeing my counselor and naturopath. Reached out to a woman with 19 years in the program and I am so glad I did. We met for coffee on Wednesday and she took me to a meeting last night. It was my first meeting since I was 21 years old. It was a birthday and speaker's meeting and it was great. I got numbers from a few people, including the number of another probation officer in the program. I did see one person I used to supervise, but I had only supervised her for a couple of months and she was pretty toxic at that time. I am pretty sure she had no clue who I was...and if she did know, I realized I just didn't care. I needed to be there and so does she, so it is all good.

Another thing that spoke to me was a woman who got up and accepted her 15 year coin. She said something about having two kids and how she was so happy they have never seen their mom drunk. This hit home for me, because after a lengthy time trying, I found out this week that I am pregnant. Crazy how things fall into place, huh? I definitely think it happened now for a reason. Before I got sober, I think my body and the powers that be we're telling me, "Lady, you are sooooo not ready for this." I want more than anything to be able to say my kids never saw their mom drunk, but I know I have to take it a day at a time. But today, I won't drink and I can honestly say that is the best feeling right now.

I do recognize the pink cloud phenomenon and I know it isn't all puppies and rainbows since I quit, but I honestly feel great right now. In the past when I have tried to quit, one of my downfalls was being such a Negative Nancy and hating the thought of never being able to drink again. I went into every situation resentful and angry, and I really feel like it aided in my relapses and failure at the time. So, I am just trying to stay positive and take it one step at a time, but also allowing myself to actually be happy (what a concept).

Anyway, thanks for giving me this space to talk about this, even if my post is a little lengthy I really feel bonded with you all on this journey and am grateful for my January 2013 pals.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good morning class.

Another sober day ahead thanks to all of you Am feeling good and am planning to work from home all day then go to the Saturday night speaker meeting. My gf who is struggling wants to come with me again. She was interested in the Big Book and asked to borrow mine but I am a little reluctant (mine is a dedicated gift) so I will buy her her own copy
I was looking up our little class and it's funny but unlike the rooms of AA, it seems that the majority of the Jan class members are female. I wonder why, maybe because women are more comfortable communicating and sharing through this medium??
Don't mind me, I always wonder about one thing or another...I m the eternally curious type.

Siesta: Congrats on 50 days! you rock.
Whodey: nice to hear from you. 55 days is awesome and I agree with you, looking at the money saved is a real motivator (I'm buying a laptop as a reward and that's something which unlike beer I will have and use for years).
Woodhead: congrats on 40 days. You are truly inspiring. Seeing you staying sober with your stress is a very powerful message that we don't have to pick up NO MATTER WHAT! Thank you!
Melacole: I am so glad you hooked up with a friend and went back to the rooms. I am in AA too (love it) and while I do believe that other methods work and AA might not be for everyone I also notice that many do not even try it because they are too shy to go alone. Even I who is not the shy type was a bit nervous getting back. Congratulations on your pregnancy girl and it's awesome that it happens now that you are in recovery.

Wishing everyone a good and sober week end. Will touch base on Monday after my week end work marathon.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Carlotta, you were talking about the majority being female in class, on my SR profile page I have the video of Helen Reddy 'I Am Woman'...lol.. love that song! .......Had a great day with my friend and cousin, hope everyone is having a super Saturday...Love & Peace Nell.♥
Old 02-23-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Hey everyone –
Sending you good thoughts Woodhead, sorry to hear about your son. We all had lessons to learn and only in our own way, hopefully this is his and he can get a new perspective on life when it is through. Good for you for keeping it together, having a drink would only make this situation much, much harder on you.
Serenity – who knows who is really “behind the wheel” when we are in a blackout. We’ve all done things we’re not proud of, I just happened to get caught, but you can use the fear that you feel now as fuel. This is a learning opportunity for all of us. You don’t have to ever feel this way again, you can beat it and you will!
Carlotta, I would be in for a chat, logistics might be hard with all of us spread out over the world, but if we can make it work I’m game! I love this group and I feel lucky to be a part of it.
James, I’ve thought the same thing, we do a lot of Happy Hours at work and often I was the organizer, so it’s going to be a change for me to show up and not drink – or not show up at all. I would say as little as possible – “Thanks, I’m just not drinking tonight” – other people will think what they want to think anyway, so why give them any ammunition for gossip.
Nel – I love positive people like that, wish I could be more like that sometimes!
Whodey – I agree, it’s a pretty awesome group, and it’s a great feeling knowing I have support from people who know spot-on exactly how I feel.
Melacole – congrats on your news!

As far as me, I’m struggling a little today, not so much with the idea of actually drinking, but just with letting go of certain parts of my life that involved alcohol. I had lunch with a girlfriend today, she was talking about going out for drinks with some other friends, hitting on the bartender, being silly – I don’t think she’s an alcoholic, just enjoying a night of drinks with friends, and it just came over me that I will never have another of those nights. Not that I won’t have lots of fun times with friends – but there will never be “another round’ for me. After seeing her, I knew I wasn’t going to drink – actually I just wanted a cigarette really bad, though I didn’t have one of those either – but it did make me nostalgic for drinking in a way that’s pretty dangerous for someone like me. I know I need to take off the rose colored glasses pretty quickly.
Another thing circling around in my head is that I have a huge crush on guy I work with. I just got married this past November, and he is married as well, but we’ve had a flirtation for a while that got sort of physical over the summer. Just a kiss, and I told my husband about it at the time, and after that we kind of kept our distance just realizing we were treading on dangerous ground. But the past couple of weeks we’ve been sort of paying attention to each other again, and I don’t know what it is about him that I am so attracted to him, but I am, and it makes me feel crazy guilty. Just randomly, he is in recovery and is 10 years sober, so if I ever wanted to talk about my situation with anyone at work it would be him, though I don’t know if that would be a good idea either, to start getting emotionally vulnerable around him. I don’t know, he’s on my mind a lot in a way I wish he weren’t.
No matter what, it’s another sober day for me!
Thanks for listening gang, Alison
Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

You are married now. Make a list of the top ten things you're thankful for in your husband, and avoid your crush like the plague. You can't control the thoughts that pop into your head, but you can control how long they stay there. Be ruthless.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us find that when we give up our drug of choice we'll subconsciously find other ways to catch a buzz.

You wouldn't be the first to fall for romantic attachments, affairs or crushes in early recovery Alison - the giddyness intrigue and drama can get quite heady...and yeah, intoxicating.

I'd pour cold water on this one - it can't lead anywhere good.

oh and you will have good times again - noone would stay in recovery if we didn't...don't let your inner addict try that one on

D
Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
A lot of us find that when we give up our drug of choice we'll subconsciously find other ways to catch a buzz.

You wouldn't be the first to fall for romantic attachments, affairs or crushes in early recovery Alison - the giddyness intrigue and drama can get quite heady...and yeah, intoxicating.

I'd pour cold water on this one - it can't lead anywhere good.

D
Thank you Gilmer and Dee. Dee, you are exactly right, because that's exactly how I feel around him - buzzed and giddy. Definitely a replacement for a buzz of another kind. It makes me feel so self-destructive, like ok, I can't screw up my life with alcohol anymore, how about a good old-fashioned affair instead?? Ugh, I get so sick of myself sometimes. Thanks for the great insight you guys. Dee, I think I'm printing your post out, it's a keeper.

-Alison
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Congrats Melacole!! My husband and I are just starting to try for a baby. My Drinking was the only reason we weren't trying sooner, now I feel I can finally handle everything

Whodey good to hear from you!

Everyone else hope all is going well! (Especially woodhead, sorry about your son)
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Sorry if I sounded harsh or judgmental, Alison. I meant to be "tough," because I have had to be tough on myself. All my life those attractions were my major buzz. I'm bipolar, and they're a huge symptom of my disease. After I got medicated (and my marriage improved), the wild attractions lessened--and I started hitting the bottle! I replaced crushes with alcohol! So that's why I sounded stern--I have had to be stern with myself.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Good morning class I could not sleep my insomnia has been bad the last few weeks. My husband has gone from having a beer at the beginning of the year to about 4 mix drinks a night which is less then I ever drank, but it is seriously getting on my nerves lately! I think its just my insomnia and hormones right now but I feel irritated by his nightly few drinks! I know the worse part of my insomnia will pass the more sober days I get, last year it took about 4 months ugh!....Okay sorry, I guess I'm a little grouchy from lack of sleep. Let me start over good morning class I hope everyone has a great sober Sunday!! Off to drink some coffee and watch the sun come up. Alison I agree with our chief (Dee) on the situation, I hope things will get better for you.... I hear my coffee calling me, good morning again class. Love & Peace Nell♥
Old 02-24-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Just keeping the men's end up, so to speak, seeing as how the girls are in the majority here!

I am a tiny bit grisly as I picked up the grill from the hob and didn't realise it was hot so I now have 3 HUGE blisters on my left hand. London is noisy and dirty but vibrant which makes for a change. I can't believe how many attractive young women there are. (I know half the people in London are women = 4 million women but it is amazing how many are young and attractive). I don't know if I am just getting older or it is the comparison with rural Italy where most of the women are farmer's wives and look more at home with the chickens than in D&G.

Anyway, affairs are a no go area when you are married, Alison. I nearly lost my wife because I had a very short fling with a long standing friend. Frankly I don't really know why she stood by me, what with the alcoholism as well! Anyway, she did and I am truly grateful.

Otherwise not much to report except congratulations to my little daffodils for winning their rugby match yesterday. Thankfully my internet connection is really good so I can watch the matches here.

Good luck, Lunetta. I read somewhere that couples are 50% less likely to conceive if they are heavy drinkers. Don't know if that was true and I don't think they were referring to it only being a brewer's droop thing either.

Touch base later...
Old 02-24-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Hi all. Home again and back to work tomorrow. Great to hear how well so many people are doing. Hugs and lots of positive thoughts to those of you battling at the moment.

I agree with all those voices of wisdom, Alison - you can't help your thoughts but don't act. I came really close to having an affair when I was married and I'm really glad that I didn't and that that's one less regret to deal with now that I'm sober. So admire your honesty, by the way!

Thanks for reminding us that people wouldn't stay sober if there weren't great benefits, Dee. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on the fun. Just the AV having a go, I know...
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Day 28 yesterday and another test passed : went out for a meal and had a diet coke, 2 glasses of water and a bottomless cup of coffee. The friendly in-laws wondered aloud if I was thirsty , but were otherwise too polite to ask directly why I wasn't having the usual glass of wine ... I'm not ready yet to go "public" and was grateful for their British reserve! :-)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Hello,

It's good to hear about everyone's experiences. I can so relate to the sloshing of liquids we take to replace the booze. Replacing 5 glasses of wine with 5 glasses of Perrier will definitely make you feel bloated.

I had a ping of regrets reading about pregnancy. I tried desperately to be pregnant with assisted procreation these last 2 years and even though I didn't drink during those tries, I know that years of abusing the stuff harmed my fertility. It's too late for me now, I can't be a mom anymore so it's ironic that only now, I decided to quit for good. I guess my baby will be my new-found sober me...

Sundays are terrific Sunday blues for me but I'm grateful to be sober. Someone who has been sober for 20 years told me that it's the first year that is hard. Somehow this helps me be gentle with myself knowing it's not going to be all rosy...

Right now, I'm just trying to understand where all my anger and impatience come from. I can hardly recognise the bitch I've become. I hope I'll be kinder and gentler very soon...

Peace and tranquility to you all this Sunday.

DP
Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Well done on not drinking Liz

Congrats Melacole

Bounced looks as if its heading to a showdown in the last match

Dorothy i could have written that last post anger and impatience thats for sure and my poor hubby is having the brunt of it no wonder he keeps asking if I want wine I was a much nicer drunk opps.

Hairdressers was ok yesterday I realised though that I am isolating and going into myself not a good sign. Its also finally sunk in that some of the tiredness is due to depression and stress ahhhh I am so fed up of feeling down and feeling sorry for myself i need to work on getting out of this rut. So instead of sitting around with a face like a slapped dap today I have kept myself busy and started a exercise program on my cross trainer

Hope you are all having a lovely relaxing sober sunday I am going to have a nice relaxing bath and come out smelling of fruit salad (newly purchased bath goodies yesterday) then grovel on phone to hubby and apologise about the unprintable text i sent him earlier about a tin of salmon oh dear it really was much worse than any drunk texts i ever sent.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Ha ha Rosieblue,

I think we should be much more gentle with ourselves. It's OK to have all the issues swelling back up. Our brain wiring needs to completely re-learn a way of coping and functioning. ..

The tiredness is so normal, even after nearly 2 months of sobriety. Our bodies are adjusting to being alcohol free when it used it to "fuel" itself with it for at least over 10 years.

Being aware of it is a good first step, then understanding how it cuts us off from people we love will help in moving us towards better self-love.

Thanks for sharing your text story.