Class Of November 2012 - Part 4

Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon Thanume

D
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link June! I spent a good 30 mins when I got in and read your post looking for something here!

Well this morning I have woken up for the 50th day in a row without a hangover. I'm feeling great mentally but the lymphodeama in my legs has returned. It may simply be that I did a lot of walking yesterday or it could be that I'm eating someting. My ankles were like balloons and they are still painful to walk on this morning. It kind of perf me off because I've been feeling great. Back to clean eating for a bit as this helps too.

I've got a lot of tidying to do so I'll have a New Girl and Bang Goes the Theory day and speed tidy in the breaks!

Have a great weekend.

S x
Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanume View Post
Tonight I discovered the secret to soberly surviving a work Xmas party....just get yourself a massive head cold!! I absolutely had no cravings or uncomfortability being around liquor, or smelling it on people. Funny thing is I was sick at last years party too, but convinced myself that hot toddys & whiskey would somehow be a good cure all (they're not). I got to spend some good time with my wife, got home early/safely & am going to bed with a clear conscience. Good luck to everyone this weekend!!
Hope you feel better soon Thanume. I'm getting a stuffy nose and perhaps it's a blessing in disguise.

When I got in last night (caught the last train home) I was thankful I was home safely and felt tired but happy. I have good memories of last night.

S x
Old 12-15-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Thanume - hope you feel better but am glad that you made it through the party and woke feeling good about yourself.

Since my cousin is here this weekend, we'll do some local things, including visiting a store that makes really good artisan chocolate! He and my dh had beer last night and I had my sparkling water and grape juice. It was great! I went to bed early to let them talk about guitars and music.

Hope everyone enjoys today.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Thanume, I hope you feel better. A cold helped my sobriety for the better part of two weeks. Good to look at the bright side, huh?

Sazzle, those legs sound very uncomfortable. I hope you feel better and find some relief. is there any treatment? I do know there is special massage for lymphedema. But you probably know that? Better would be a treatment to make it stop happening. feel better.

June, the Lord's Prayer? Ok, I know they say take what you want and leave the rest, but that is pretty hard to just ignore if you are an atheist or a Jew, or Muslim, feminist, lol, etc... How can people say AA is not religious?! I am Catholic and would have issue with having to say the Lord's Prayer in a group that is supposed to include all people from all walks of life that are supposedly only brought together by a common desire to stop drinking. I am all about inclusion in life.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

So, 23 days. I will admit, i was craving a bit last night. I walked into the garage to jump in the car, and there was a fresh case of Harpoon, and 12 pack of Sierra Nevada beer, sitting in the freezing garage. Dh's fresh stash for the week or so. Ugh. I knew it was cold. And while I was mostly a wine drinker, i do enjoy a frosty cold beer or 3 if there is no wine around. I do like it. Especially those 2 kinds. I really imagined cracking one and drinking it. i felt grumpy about it.

Hopped in the car, did my errands, and came home and got busy making my oreo truffles. I ate 4 of those instead. My blood sugar was a tad higher than usual at bed time, go figure... Also got a movie that we watched. Red Lights. It was pretty good. I survived the cravings with distraction. And no beer farts or fuzzy head today. Only about 6 hours sleep and I woke alert and feeling fine.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

I also am not a fan of the Lord's Prayter at AA meetings. If you're going to claim to be non-denominational, you should leave sectarian prayer out of it. It's only a few seconds out of the hour and fortunately there's enough to be gained from the rest of the time for me to just bow my head quietly while the Christians do their thing. But if I ever chair a meeting, we're closing in a different fashion.

So this is day 27. This morning will be my first AA meeting since last Sunday. I did do the two meetings here on SR and a bunch of writing on the 4th step over the past few nights, but I'm looking forward to getting to about 3 "real world" meetings this weekend. Hopefully that will be enough to offset all the Christmas shopping I have to do and keep me on an even keel!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junebugapril View Post
ForMeForThem, wow, I am so impressed at how you handled those issues. You pulled out strategies to keep yourself from drinking. Can you share with us what some of those strategies are? That would be helpful for all of us.
Junebug, we're all different but I'll share what's been working for me. Pretty much I took what I read on this site and used what made sense to me. Well, when I get thoughts of drinking, I try to immediately shut them down, do not argue with myself, just make a firm statement to myself and move on. Many times that's enough for me to just snap out of it. When it's not, I try to recongize the feelings for what they are and internally put things into perspective...I may be feeling sad, scared, lonely, pain, whatever but it doesn't mean I need to drink. I think it through, I force myself to be honest about what will really happen if I take that 1st drink. I will remind myself of some of the moments of shame or regret I have when I drank (it's painful, but it's an eye opener for me) and firmly tell myself that is why you can not drink. I breath, try to stay firm in what I know I need to do, try to clear my mind and let it pass.

Even though this was a tough week, I wasn't as close to giving in as I remember in the really early weeks. Then it took me by surprise and I was't prepared to face it or how to handle it, had a few really close calls. That's why I felt good about this, I was ready, I recognized the thoughts and feelings for what they were and worked through it until it passed. But looking ahead, part of my strategy is to not get complacent, to be ready to put my plan into action even as time goes on and it may get easier, because that is when I know the sneakiest thoughts (like "I can be a normal drinker now") will come and I need to be ready for them.

Anyway, that's what's working for me, hope it helped. And Junebug I think you are doing great by sticking with the meetings. I give you alot of credit for reaching out for support and continuing to look for the meetings that help, even if there may be moments that you don't like, if you get something out of it, it's worth your time I think. Have a great day
Old 12-15-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

well just checking in less and less people posting, me included. congrats to everyone staying sober. ya to charlee's comment about the bank account finally getting bigger. been doing a lot of fixes around the house. i thought of this clip when deciding my saturday today...

Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Love that Id1ot! Sounds like a version of our Saturdays, after the kids get done with the basketball.

Good to hear from you!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Good morning Novies, thanks for all the reflections on AA and its traditions. The Lord's Prayer is done at the end of a meeting.

We stand in a circle and hold hands. Someone says "Whose father?". Then they break into "Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be his name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive those who trespass against us as they forgive us who trespass against them." (I think I have memorized correctly already). Then we say "Keep coming back, it works if you work it, sober", while pumping our hands up and down.

Growing up Jewish, we did not say the Lord's Prayer in our services at temple. And I don't ever remember hearing the word "heaven". We did not learn about "hell" in Sunday School.

It does feel a little odd as a Jewish woman to hear these words. And I do bristle a bit about God being labeled "he". To me God is an "it". Neither he nor she.

So it was a breath of fresh air to not hear the Lord's Prayer or any mention of God in the Quad A meeting. But because regular AA meetings are so much more frequent, I will keep going to both.

There's a woman I met in a meeting a few weeks ago that I am trying to get the courage up to call. I think I will ask her to be my sponsor.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Rochele, I can really relate to drinking a cold beer if there was no wine around. I usually only drank the really good beers, or a Corona with a lime. The every day beers (except Corona)I didn't bother drinking, they were too watery and tasteless for me. I do think I would be very tempted at seeing beers in my cold garage. I don't know how you do it, woman! You are very strong, and I admire you.

Charlee, Glad you were good with having sparkling water while your people were having beers. You guys are getting so strong! I hope I can be around booze soon too, but I am still not ready.

Thanume, I hope you feel better soon. Glad to hear you had no desire to drink at the party. At least the cold had one positive effect!

Sazzle, I have no idea what you meant by "I'll have a New Girl and Bang Goes the Theory day and speed tidy in the breaks!" but I loved it

AnotherPaul, how were the AA meetings on SR? Were they good for you? I have not done an online meeting.

FMFT, So glad you found something to work for you. I like how you have it down to a science, almost. I am going to remember to say HALT, if I get a craving. Ask myself if I am hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.

Dee, Nikki, Wifi, BetterinCa, Amy55, and if I forgot to mention you, I really appreciate you! Thanks for being part of this group. You guys are the best.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I am tellin' ya, I nearly grabbed one and said "Fudge it", last night. Who would know? Normally, i do not see it. it is in the fridge in the basement and in the storage in the basement of not chilled. I never go to those spots much. So, seeing it there, all cold, in the garage caught me off guard, unprepared.

But I am to honest. I just could not do it. So that is good. It feels more like a diet. I am making the choice, the right choice, but still feel a bit deprived sometimes. But the results are good. In fact, I have lost and kept off about 4-5 pounds over the last month. And I have increased my food and junk consumption, and not exercised much at all. i miss walking, but HATE the cold. And I have not quite had the energy to do the elliptical I have. Still coughing, even though the rest of my cold is better.

This week's goals are to get back on track with my veggies and exercise, lol.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Rochele, I have had that "Who would know?" thing go through my head too. And truthfully, nobody would know. And the people the knew that I drank wouldn't give two hoots that I drank. Nobody really cares if I drink, besides me.

That's why I keep going to these blasted AA meetings. I am wanting to get an insurance policy against drinking. I want to know that I have a way of dealing with wanting to drink for the times it catches me off guard. Right now I am okay with saying "I won't drink now but I can have one later if I really want one." But what if later comes, and I don't have a support system in place?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Well, for me, I just know I cannot due to my health issues. Just like I cannot drink a coke either. well, I hate coke, but you get my point. I remind myself of that. While I am allowed one drink here or there, I cannot have just one, therefore I can never have any. That is the fact. So, I am working with that for now.

Heck, I even prove my addictive nature when I cheat on my diabetic eating. Last night my one truffle(I made oreo truffles) turned into 4. So, I know a beer would be no different! I sometimes think I am more of a food/over-eater addict rather than straight up alcoholic. It is about excess, in many ares, once I "slip." It could be food, wine, chips, or all of the above, but certain kinds of things flip a switch, and I have more than normal people would. Not usually crazy binging, but more than most people.

And, if I do drink, I definitely also over-eat.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Was afraid to post yesterday, thought if I acknowleged 30 days yesterday that I might want to celebrate. So today is day 31, don't have to count days anymore, will move on to counting months.

Saz, hope you ankle is better, I know how that can be, I get the same thing, but for a different reason. Mine is due to a blood clot. Those compression stocking and socks help a lot with that.

Rochele, I think the diet aspect helps a lot with "no drinking". I remember going on a diet about 10 years ago, and yes, I was an alcoholic then. But I seriously needed to lose weight. First thing on my list to go, was the beer. I didn't even consider it as quitting drinking, I just knew if I went on a diet, that beer has too many carbs, and too many calories. Did that diet for a year and a half. Should have stuck with that diet, only returned to drinking, because I didn't give it up because I was an alcoholic, couldn't have convinced me back then, and I lost the weight I needed to lose.

I actually even lost the taste or desire to drink, but went back anyway. So stupid of me!

June, I care whether or not you drink. Also, if you don't want to say the "our father" then just mouth it. I did read the words, and even though I was raised catholic, went to a catholic grammar school, had to say this prayer each day, I think you may have gotten it a little messed up, but then again, I would even have to check. (lol), you are doing really good !!!!!

I just wish that I knew how to post a reply and read prior page at the same time, so I could reply to everyone, just know one day I will figure this out. With all of these youngsters here to teach me things, I know someday I will catch on.

I also feel so good when I read about the changes that you are making in your lives now, and even though I am on the older side, I can't wait to really see the changes and improvements in my own life. I still have a lot of living to do.

Also thanks for all the birthday greetings, I really appreciate that.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just checking in... I guess the problem for me is that I would know and just can't live with the guilt.. It drives me to drink more.

I just got back from my mornings men stag. It is a big meeting and I haven't been standing up as a new comer as it is a big intimidating meeting I have been attending for years. Today I stood up and owned it... It really wasn't that big of deal...

As far as the Lords prayer, most of the so-cal meetings also end with this, however if it is not your thing you can quietly leave while we're reading a vision for you...

Love you all!!! Keep up the good work and have a safe and sober weekend!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junebugapril View Post
Sazzle, I have no idea what you meant by "I'll have a New Girl and Bang Goes the Theory day and speed tidy in the breaks!" but I loved it
Hehe June. My favourite lazy thing is to watch back to back episodes of series that I've recorded. Today was 'New Girl' and 'Bang goes the Theory'. Whilst the adverts are on I use this time to do some tidying if chores for 3 minutes!

Oh and PS our AA ends with the serenity prayer. No hand holding, that would freak me out.

S x
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

I'm staying in tonight. Watching a Back to the future 2 and eating a lovely home made egg fried rice.

I love my simple life, guys!

S x
Old 12-15-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Sazzle - sounds wonderful, enjoy! Haven't seen Back to the Future in years.

I'm off to a Christmas cookie decorating party with my kids - yummy!