SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of March 2012 (http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/250284-class-march-2012-a.html)

tryingtoquitnow 03-18-2012 08:07 PM

22 days, still feel abit mentally tired/agitated at night, will try to start exercising more. Other than that doing fine :)

Holly7 03-18-2012 08:17 PM

Day 13...next stop day 14! 2 weeks!!! wooooo hoooo!!!

starsnskies 03-18-2012 10:27 PM

Congrats everyone on doing so well. Tonight is my 7th day. A week ago I was so drunk I drank myself sober and then decided to get drunk again. The lonliness has set in and I found myself without some things to do because most weekends I am recovering from a hangover or am so busy making up for the lost time from the previous weeks hangover. I find myself hungrier than usual which is odd, it has me thinking Im making up for lost calories..who knows. I went to my first womens AA meeting tonight, I was so nervous because for some reason I feel more at ease then a room full of ladies. AWWWWKWARD. anyhow Happy Monday everyone. <3

InsertNameHere 03-18-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3325840)
it was uncomfortable for me INH....but I learned to be comfortable in my own company.

My problem is that I would always especially latley drink alone in my house. I have been more or less alone 95% of the time for the last 5 months. Before as I said I would just drink and it would be fine but now I am actually desiring some form of human contact. I reached out on facebook though and an old friend (ex girlfriend actually) hit me up so I found someone to at least chat with. this morning officially marks one week without being drunk or hungover. The second time I have gone this long. I have a horrendous week coming up, and desperatley need sleep, but I guess we just keep trucking on. Still glad I quit just tired in more ways than one.

Happy mondays everyone.

hypochondriac 03-19-2012 03:45 AM

I can sympathise with the loneliness INH. I am kind of being a bit of a hermit at the moment though because I feel I need that time to work on my sobriety. If I get needy and start going out I might meet a drinker and slip up. I agree with Dee that it's important to be comfortable in your own company, but it sounds like you spend the majority of your time alone. Are there any safe sober social things you can do where you are when you're not working?

lilac0721 03-19-2012 04:56 AM

INH, I understand loneliness. Like you, I've spent the better part of the past few months alone at home. Since my primary office is in my home, that has been easy. Oftentimes, I'd turn off both phones.
I have been afraid of human contact, to be honest, because of anxiety. I have been forcing myself to go to AA meetings. Yesterday I went to church. One thing I sometimes do is go to a coffee shop (I know you love coffee) just to be around people, even if I don't know any of them.
Of course, there is FB and SR is great. I've used the chat feature here a few times. It's been really helpful!

jobei 03-19-2012 04:56 AM

Hey everyone and good morning! This weekend was an interesting one. St Patty's being what it is. I managed to not drink and it felt good. I worked some extra hours that there's ZERO chance I would have worked if I was drinking. It really helped out the business and my co-workers and my pocket. :) Now with it being monday I look back on my work from the weekend with pride... it's like a reverse hangover. I thank god once again!

So I was driving yesterday and I had a lot of time to think. On saturday I found a random 50 dollar bill on the ground... first time I've found money on the ground in 20 years probably... luck of the irish I chalked it up to! It got me thinking about "luck". I feel that all of us on this site are INCREDIBLY lucky. We all have a shared problem and are definately prone to suffering... also life isn't perfect w/o using... HOWEVER... I find myself thinking about all the people out there that just don't realize they need help. The people that don't try to stop and just suffer unchecked. We may feel a stigma and a dissapointment that we -can't- drink but just think of all those poor souls out there that -don't- know they can't drink? I pray for these people. I'm guessing for each one of us that figures out that we can't drink there's probably thousands of people that never get it. It makes me feel lucky and blessed that something in my head clicked before I drank myself to death and that there are some tools out there (like this site) and AA to help me stay stopped. Have a wonderful day everyone!

InsertNameHere 03-19-2012 05:23 AM

Thanks guys, being able to chat with an old friend helped, I moved here back in late October and since haven't made any friends. I have some people that work for me that I hang out with from time to time but there is always that "respectful distancing" that happens when the boss and the workers are together and it just isn't the same. I tried with the locals but that dosen't work either, one look at me and all they think is $$$, a white face in Africa will do that. There is hope in site here in a month I am being "replaced" as I was never qualified to do the job I was sent here to do anyway. Than I will just be one of the workers and hopefully able to at least "hang out" with my former subordinates, they are good people. Sometimes I think vollenteering for my current assignment was the biggest mistake I made in my carrer with this company, recently I also think though that if I hadn't I might not have realized my drinking problem or if I did I might be wuite a bit further along than now so long run it may have been a good thing. If I make it through this weeks tribulations then things will improve a little, at least I hope.

Thanks for being there everyone, this site really helps not only to give advice but just people to sympothize with. Offering help and guidance or just sympathy when I can helps me in turn so its a good thing I found it. Oh well "Marching" on through week two.

Really4Real 03-19-2012 05:28 AM

DS... people peeing on others just doesn't sound right for some reason... nice to not have to worry about getting pulled over. Almost wish they would so they could see I'm not drinking ;)

Good stuff, Trtn! 'Hitting my knees' in the morning usually works for me... then through the day, as needed. Sounds like a prescription, doesn't it?

INH... Alcohol was our friend - it helped us get by - it was always there... we didn't really need anyone else. Now it's about relationships and being settled in ourselves (like Dee said, I think) / with ourselves and reaching out to others... not always expecting them to reach out to us. Hard stuff sometimes, but it's learning curve. PS... I drank at my house too - not much of a bar person...

Holly... welcome and congrats on two weeks :bbj:

Happy Monday, SNS! Way to go on one week!! :You_Rock_

Jobie... good words... I actually consider it a blessing to not drink.

Why would I want that chain around me again??? Why would I want to be in a cloud all the time??? Why would I want to sit at home all day (or in the evenings) drinking poison and staring at the television - then not to remember what I had for dinner or anything else the next morning. Being all puffy-eyed and bloated and having to make up something to tell people at work... like they don't know or something. No thanks... done with that mess.

Ok, rant over :)

Dee... I actually was going to pick that one... the first one. The second one.... nah ;)

Have a fabulous day, my March-er friends.

Phils69 03-19-2012 05:34 AM

Well made it to day 4. As of last night the wife decided she wants to go thru with the seperation/divorce. Gonna be tough living alone but will have my son at times so that is something to look forward to. I will have to get some time consuming hobbies once I find a place to stay. I work from home online so I dont want to get to the hermit status. Chin up everyone.

Really4Real 03-19-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phils69 (Post 3326187)
Chin up everyone.

You, too Phil... you're doing great in spite of what's going on around you.

InsertNameHere 03-19-2012 05:47 AM

:23: Feeling better already. I think I have discovered my higher power the great god Coffee, He lives in the hills of columbia and distributes a small portion of his holiness to all those who wish to recieve it in a convinently store bought form.

(I don't mean to offend any AAers or religious people just making a joke that I drink a lot of coffee now a days.)

Phils69 03-19-2012 05:47 AM

Thanks 4real. I feel liberated that I have made the decision to do this. There has got to be more to life than being chained to that monkey everyday.

zaxx 03-19-2012 07:38 AM

I survived the weekend. =D Lightening hit my house and fried some digital devices. Was a mess. >.< My music stuff survived though. Spent the better chunk of Sat at the Apple store. Made up with my chick. I think we'll work out a lot better with me not drinking. (I don't mind if she does though.) 12 days sober. Felt good on Sunday waking up and being the only person on the planet without a hangover. =D

InsertNameHere 03-19-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaxx (Post 3326360)
I survived the weekend. =D Lightening hit my house and fried some digital devices. Was a mess.

I know the feeling where I live the power flucuates sometimes, about two weeks ago I had a power surge that blew out a lot of my stuff including my custom build computer. :gaah

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaxx (Post 3326360)
12 days sober. Felt good on Sunday waking up and being the only person on the planet without a hangover. =D

HAHA not the only one! There are plenty of us I just think on nights like that we stay in hiding, no reason to be out unless you are a people watcher that has a boat load of confidence in your abstinence.

Really4Real 03-19-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere (Post 3326204)
:23: Feeling better already. I think I have discovered my higher power the great god Coffee, He lives in the hills of columbia and distributes a small portion of his holiness to all those who wish to recieve it in a convinently store bought form.

(I don't mean to offend any AAers or religious people just making a joke that I drink a lot of coffee now a days.)

:rotfxko

I've really developed a desire for root beer - that's my drink of choice.... must be the 'beer' in the name ;) But I drink lots of water during the day. Doing a body cleanse and a liver detox - so my diet has changed drastrically. Now if I can just get my hubby to eat the same way...

sarah1414 03-19-2012 11:58 AM

R4R, I tried a liver detox program last year. It was supposed to be a 10 day thing and I only lasted 4 days. By the 3rd day I was only eating veggies, fruit, and drinking this cleansing formula 4 times a day which tasted like dirt. My kids could not understand why I would drink something which caused me to hold my nose to ingest. It was awful!! Oh, and no coffee...that was terrible too.

I hope your detox isn't as strict!

Great job, class. I'm glad to be part of this group!

Dee74 03-19-2012 01:34 PM

I'm sorry for your news Phil but I'm glad you're here with us.
You seem to have a great attitude :)

D

Healthyfood 03-19-2012 03:07 PM

Day 49. I joined the gym. Felt much better. Got rid of some stress. :)

Tobo 03-19-2012 03:44 PM

Just checking in. Day 8 today, a full week! What a difference today was from last Monday. Last Monday I didn't make it to work and the Monday before that I was so hungover my eyes bleed. I had a decent day at work and then hit the gym and a short bike ride.

I guess I am going to go to a meeting here in under an hour. Skipped yesterday. I'm already faltering though. I don't want to fully commit to aa and I find myself thinking about a beer in the future. It's so frustrating bc I know I'm feeling better bc I'm not drinking. However I'm fantasizing about concerts this summer and the beach and it all includes beer. I guess I just need to make it through today and go from there. But I feel like its inevitable that I'm not done drinking