SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of March 2012 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/250284-class-march-2012-a.html)

desertsong 03-18-2012 08:39 AM

Good morning, friends!

Cloudy windy day here today, but no matter ... it's Day 13 for me and I'm feeling great. Actually got some sleep last night, finally! Amazing how your perspective on life can be brightened by a good night's rest.

Not much to do here today so my challenge will be staying busy. Boredom was always a trigger for me so I might do a little retail therapy to get out of the house. :D After AA, of course.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Phils69 03-18-2012 08:56 AM

Day 3 here. Did chores around the house yesterday like a fiend. Wore myself out so much I slept like the dead for 9 hours. Trying to stay busy this am. Hanging in there. Thanks for the welcome everybody.

Tobo 03-18-2012 09:04 AM

Well if I make it through today, which I believe I will, it will be one full week. That will be the longest in a few months. Its gonna be a beautiful day here. I just finished a 4 mile run and resting before I grab some lunch. I'm a bit sore from the race yesterday, but a good sore. Not the type where I wake up like last weekend with bruises of unknown origin.

I've been mentally debating about continuing with aa. I kinda want to do aa lite. I know enough about aa that I know that that's not usually successful. But I'm really torn up about my inability to give myself to the program. Some people tell you to take what you can from it. But that's very difficult. When you voice that your struggling other members jump right on and say your not doing enough. I'm considering stopping meetings but this makes me concerned bc I know eventually I will go back to attempting moderation for the upteenth time.
Welcome berndog, Phil's and ttrn!!

Berndog 03-18-2012 09:14 AM

Funny thing about Bars.

[QUOTE=lilac0721;3324852]INH:

Starsnskies, way to go on going out without drinking. I have noticed that I have no interest in bars/clubs when I'm not drinking. I think I used alcohol to help me be a more extroverted person and be more social back in the day. But the "real" me would much rather be home reading a book than having meaningless interactions with people in a loud boozy place.

This is Berndog here:
It's been my experience that when I go into a bar, I'll know at least half the people, but I hardly socialize until I get at least 1.5 beers or whatever down before I'm the happy go lucky guy they think they know. It seems to me there's some phonyness going on with that little ******* inside me?
Great posts you guys, I'm feelin pretty groovy about being here!
Thanks for letting me copy Lilac0721

InsertNameHere 03-18-2012 09:20 AM

got myself 8 hours of sleep the last two days, I am not sure it is exactly refreshing but that is because I haven't begun to pay off the interest of my sleep debt. I here in the next month I am going to be replaced in my current job and will have a less stressful and time demanding one. It is going to be shift work which screws with your sleep, but I think I will be able to handle it a lot better now that I don't drink. before when I was on shift work people started to wonder why was this dude drunk at 1000, I reasoned it off because I worked all night that was the end of my day. Wow how did i not recognize this problem earlier I will never no. But oh well the important thing is I have it beat now. :)

Also Lilac damn why didnt I think of that. I mean yes it is because of work but I did feel that underlying desire to drink. Obviously I no where near even entertained it but I think you were right in that if it wasn't completley my "beast" then it was deffenitly fanning the flames. Hmmm this is going to me something for me to ponder, and a possible excersize for the next time it comes. I.E. I get stressed from one thing then I can concentrate on the part of me that is feeling the desire to drink and see hoe it is making the feeling worse in order to coerce me into drinking again. I like it because bringing my beast out is something I have been struggling with.

Healthyfood 03-18-2012 10:12 AM

Somehow got to day 48.

InsertNameHere 03-18-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Healthyfood (Post 3325096)
Somehow got to day 48.

Congragulations!!!

:c014:

Meminy 03-18-2012 11:39 AM

Day 19 and it is a beautiful one outside! I'm loving the balmy Texas weather....the more I want to be outside and active, the less I want to drink. Congratulations on all the Marchers getting through another day sober, healthy and determined.

DisplacedGRITS 03-18-2012 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Healthyfood (Post 3325096)
Somehow got to day 48.

Awesome!!

DisplacedGRITS 03-18-2012 01:01 PM

I believe this is my Day 11. Been going to meetings on a daily basis since last Friday. This morning makes 13 meetings in 10 days plus our fun St. Patty's Day event last night. I'm loving AA and sobriety!

Bluebird1927 03-18-2012 01:25 PM

Well done to everyone for doing so well. Another sober day passes and I feel good :) This site really is a good reminder why we stopped in the first place

Dee74 03-18-2012 02:06 PM

wow lots of milestones today - congratulations everyone :)

D

InsertNameHere 03-18-2012 05:49 PM

I guess sunday nights are pretty quiet around here. Oh well going to be another all nighter for me :) :23: and lots of it. Sometimes I hate my life but its the only one I got might as well make the most of it. I got three more years (I think maybe two) till I can consider changing carrers, I might just do it because it seems that this one dosen't agree with me anymore. But we will see like I said I have some time, things could change. not looking forward to this upcomming week, its going to be a doosey, would have been worse garenteed if I had just crawled inside of a beer can this week/weekend instead of quiting though.

Really4Real 03-18-2012 06:17 PM

WOW! Looks to me that everyone made it through the weekend.... Great Job!!

I found a new addiction... Minesweeper. That little do nothing game that comes with windows... I think my eyes are now in the shape of mines :)

Welcome to Phil, Trtn, Bern!

I wish there was a smiley that was marching... looked but didn't see one... hint, hint, Dee (being that you're the guru of all that's soberrecovery.com ) or something like that ;)

Day 18 said and done and I totally feel wonderful. Having to face being disowned by my parents at the moment... (yeah, for real)... if I choose to go see my biological mother whom I haven't spent any time to speak of. Huge issue. But do-able... sans alcohol :)

Really4Real 03-18-2012 06:19 PM

INH... I know that there's not a beer can big enough for me to crawl into... so not an option for either :)

Dee74 03-18-2012 06:35 PM

this is kinda marching

:danse1b:

lol

Maybe we need this guy...
:drillserg

D

desertsong 03-18-2012 06:39 PM

So very proud of all of us. Today at AA, some of the members were talking about seeing people pulled over on the side of the road doing roadside sobriety tests as early as 4:00 yesterday afternoon, and others talked about seeing cops stopping people all over town last night. Another guy said some friends of his went to a brew pub where people were peeing off the balconies onto the people below ... and the people below were so drunk they didn't even notice. Total drunkfest around here last night ... but they had to do with one less participant this year. :D

Another weekend successfully done by us. Bring on the new week!

Ttrn54 03-18-2012 07:46 PM

Day 13 and was a MUCH better day, esp after the AA meeting and a sharing brunch with two experienced women from the group. Still learning so much about the program (and myself) during this process of recovery. Taking infant baby steps but one thing I will do daily, until I find a sponsor, is call someone in the group daily and check in. I was saving those offered phone numbers for 'when I really needed help'. I learned today that not only does it help me get to know those in similar situations it also helps those who help the newcomers by reminding them of their earlier fragile states and helps to keep them sober by reaching out. So many layers to this process. After reading, researching and trying to do all this at once, am realizing to KISS. ( Keep It Simple Silly ) follow their suggestions to hit my knees in the AM, allow the HP to handle the rest and follow IT'S lead. Peace EveryOne

InsertNameHere 03-18-2012 07:51 PM

Do you all have any sugestions to deal with the onset of lonelyness that is setting on me now that I don't drink? I didn't realize that alcohol was covering that emotion up. I am not in danger of drinking or anything its just kinda hitting me that I don't have anyone to talk to. Hence I am here so much. Ideas?

Dee74 03-18-2012 07:54 PM

it was uncomfortable for me INH....but I learned to be comfortable in my own company.

For someone who was always looking for people to fill the various voids in my life, that was a pretty valuable lesson.

I'm not saying you need to be a hermit lol - but I think it's natural to feel a little uncomfortable in your own company for a while.

D