Notices

Class of March 2011 Pt 5

Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Sorry no tub, Dee. But, I'd consider that a great excuse to re-visit the natural hot springs on the north coast beaches of New Zealand!

On to Day 3. A little groggier today, but will be productive nonetheless!
This gave me a giggle. I will have to plan trip to north coast beaches of NZ wherever they may be...Geography lesson: hot springs are all inland and the "north coast" would be about the 5 km long bit at top of our skinny country! Dee, I symphathise with no tub. I have even got as far as filling large gardening tub but it just isn't the same. And to fit a bath in, I'd have to remove the toilet!!

Lofty, great to see you on day 3.

Aussie, I knew there was an advantage to me having no social life!! I am not missing out (any more than I was before!) by not drinking as I never went out.

I am an art and craft junkie so I have been finally doing all the things I have bought books and materials for, and doing some new stuff. My big change has been how I chill...that was where alcohol fit in my life and the massive void I have had to fill. My djembe (african drum) is probably not the most common replacement for wine but is working for me.

I think I have finally got my head around the fact that sometimes life will go to **** and I just need to deal with that (sober). US Fathers day reminded me of my next challenge. Mon July 4 will be five year anniversary of my fathers death. In the past I have commemorated this with lots of alcohol and I generally end up crying on his photo. It is a very busy and stressful day/week at work (our year end being 30 June and me being an accountant) which doesn't help. I am thinking of finding a new art project and doing it on the weekend before and finishing that evening. I had started a week-long class on Art with Words (poetry or quotes combined with painting) but he died after the first day and I have not really done much more of that since so maybe something like that. I do know that I need to plan in advance so I don't flail around and end up trying to swim in alcoholic puddle.

Hugs to all
Day 20 (and the last day I am counting...have already painted my 20th nail. Onto weeks now)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
orangutan

TOI sending positive energy and ********{HUGS}}}} for the 4th.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're thinking ahead TOI - it really is the way to go
Congratulations on 20!

D
Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Prayers for you TOI. Great on 20! My grandpa died on the fourth too, and it gives special meaning to the day. Proud of ya!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hi all -
PBC - Yes, I certainly do count you guys as friends and your support means a lot to me, esp. right now. This forum has been a Godsend for me. Some people in my 'situation' - or whatever you want to call it - have terrible anxiety when it comes to writing as well. Fortunately, I am not one of those people!

My plans for Father's Day…I'm just going to call him up and yak for a while. I recently taught him to use Skype, so that's kinda cool. I get along pretty well with me Da, so there's no stress there.

As for your daughter…I never pray, but I'll make an exception in your case, PBC. Actually, maybe sending vibes and praying are the same thing, so I'll do both.

Hoping I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but I'd like to offer a bit of advice. I speak from experience - I also went to therapy around her age. Therapists can be great, but they can also be..well..not so great.
If her therapist is offering to meet some kind of deadline…like "I'll have her cured in 6 months", I don't think it's helpful - it puts a lot of pressure on a kid. At times, I felt like I needed to show 'results', and sometimes I just faked it to keep everybody happy.
If they suggest medication, make sure you know what it is, and how it changes brain function in children - not just adults. I was put on Trazodone at around 13, and not only did it give me horrible mood swings, but I also had blackouts. One one occasion I was prescribed Lithium, which is a powerful anti-psychotic. I was not psychotic - just having some problems at school. When my GP found out she freaked, because not only was it not appropriate, it can also cause permanent liver damage - esp. in children.
I had a similar hair pulling problem when I was around 5. I had a nervous habit of winding my hair around my finger and kind of pulling it a bit. The problem was that I also did it when I was sleeping - only I guess I got a bit too enthusiastic about it while I was unconscious, because I actually ended up pulling out my hair in clumps. My parents had a rather old-timey and practical solution. They cut my hair off. I didn't really mind that much - and by the time it grew back the habit was broken, and it was never an issue again. If your daughter can somehow get into the habit trying to force herself not to do it for while it might help.
On a side note - I actually found out a couple years ago that my sleep related hair pulling is actually a 'thing'. It's called Sleep-Isolated Trichotillomania. Young kids usually pull the hair out of their head. God bless the internet - I thought I was the only one.

Dave - Yeah, I have regrets as well. I know that I can never go back to being the person I used to be, and I can never get that time back. But…there's a possibility that I can now become the New and Improved version of me - a stronger person that has been through hell and back and lived to tell the tale. Sometimes I wonder if too much damage has been done - and that's when I get really depressed. Other times I'm filled with determination, and I have hope that I can be better if I can stick with this.
However, you're dealing with some special challenges as a part-time werewolf. I saw some anti-werewolf pills on ebay recently. I'm not sure if they work, but they're only $75 plus international shipping.

frances - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to be as brave as I can - I think that my life is going to start getting better in the next few months.
Taking your Dad out for pancakes sounds like a fabulous idea. They take a long time to chew, so that'll probably cut down on the conversation a bit.

Dee - Thank you! And thank you for getting I am the Walrus stuck in my head - love that song too.

Lofty - Agreed - Scrabble rocks. Unless you're stuck with an X, a couple Rs and only Os for vowels! Yay for day 3 - keep on posting, man.

elfgirl - Nice to see ya! Glad you're doing so well. As for your bro…there's not much you can do except maybe have a bit of a chat with him, if you haven't done so already. What he does with your expression of concern is totally up to him. I guarantee he'll think about it though…

rebel - Hey there. What happened to your neck? Hopefully nothing too bad.

aussie - Been thinking about ya. I can relate to the small town thing, although the aforementioned island I lived on had a slightly bigger population (1,200). There were things I loved about it (beautiful nature, quiet time), but every social event involved drinking for sure. Ah, I can look back and remember all of the embarrassing things I did there while drunk…there are some pictures of me that I hope and pray will never get out into the general public.
There were a few nature lovers who organized walking groups though - got any of those there?

TOI - The art with words projects sounds perfect. Hugs to ya.

As for me - well - I've been hunting and gathering furniture for the last couple of days, because I have none. While engaging in another of my famous thinking sessions, I realized that I had been putting it off because I wanted to do it without taking medication, which is a bit ridiculous when you think about it. If I have trouble walking down the street, then how am I supposed to make 10 phone calls in a day and spend 1/2 an hour setting up a financing deal for a bed? I decided - screw it…just take your meds and get it done. So now it's done and I can stop worrying about it.

My stiletto-heeled upstairs neighbour (or as I like to call her, 'She Who Clomps in the Night') is still driving me nuts. The good news is that I may be able to leave here as early as next weekend…I've just got to go set up my bed delivery today. No small task, as I was awoken by She Who Clomps at 4:00 this morning and I already feel like going back to bed. Blah. Hopefully after I get settled in my new place I'll be able to chill out a bit and harness the power of Zen.

Love to everyone - Bevin
Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Everyone -- thank you so much for the prayers for my daughter. It means the world to me.

Aussie, any idea what you might enjoy? Do you play any sports? Enjoy concerts or movies? Crafts? Can you think of anything that you'd look forward to doing? Maybe a brainstorming session is in order.

TOI, I can only imagine how proud your dad would be if he could see you now, standing strong and sober. It certainly isn't the road of least resistance, but it's GOOD and you're holding your ground. Heck, I've never even met you and I'm proud of you!

Bevin, thanks for your insights about the trichotillomania. That is what she has, too. Her doctor hasn't given any timeline to us, although I'm kinda hoping it doesn't take too long since it's $100 per week (session) for us, which will add up quickly. But we will be careful to not let her know that part so that she doesn't feel more anxiety than she already does. As for meds, this doctor tries her best to avoid them. She will go there if we absolutely have to, but hopefully we won't. If we do, I'll be sure to talk with my sister about them ... she's a pharmacist and lives for those kind of questions. (seriously ... she can talk for hours about drugs!)

I've had a pretty nice weekend. Friday night and Saturday I was at a women's retreat with a bunch of really amazing women from my church. It was really low-key ... a lot of introspection, prayer, and hanging out getting to know each other around a campfire. Last night we took the family to a beautiful nearby town that has a great boardwalk and tons of artsy shops to peruse, and then today was church, a nap, shopping for new running shoes for my hubby (what he wanted for Father's Day ... he is an avid runner), and then I made dinner for all of us plus his dad. All is quiet now and I'm about to start researching and planning for my meetings this week. I've been feeling very guilty about all the hours I work and am away from the kids, but last night and today were wonderful. I tried to remember how we celebrated Father's Day last year, but of course I can't remember. I should remember this one.

I hope you all have a sober and meaningful day!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
orangutan

Thanks for thinking of me Marchers.

Bevin ,I live in a beautifull place and enjoy long walks they always lift my spirit but we have had some horrific wearther lately and I have been house bound.

PBC I am not much for crafts but watch a lot of dvd's its a bit of travelling to go to the movies though.

Well I am feeling a bit better now the weather is perfect at the moment and my nerves have settled down. Thanks for letting me whine.

Day 98.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers!

PBC, how fundamentally wonderful that you will remember this Father's Day celebration! More prayers to your daughter.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Day All
Another Monday.First, I want to send out prayers to All of those in need.
Ok, I got a homemade mixed disc for fathers day. Probably one of the best gifts I have ever gotten for fathers day and much appreciated. It had all kinds of music on it.I have One song that keeps sticking to me. I really liked it then and it makes me smile now listening to it. Mainly smiling at myself. I am growing. It still hurts but I am growing and learning every day. I have decided to start over with my life. Same players..... just no more regrets. gotta go.
Time to Live
Dave

YouTube - ‪Men At Work - Overkill (1983)‬‏

I hope that works!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hey folks..hope eveyone is doing well. Nothin much to report here.

Sending healing thoughts to your daughter, PBC! (dunno what kind of mic it is..I just show up and do what I'm told. ha.)

Great tune, Dave..gotta love the 80s.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

PBC - Oh yeah, I forgot that public healthcare don't cover that stuff down there. It's kind of a tradeoff though. You pay for it, but at least you have the option to find someone who specializes in your particular problem. Have you considered sending her 2x per month instead of 4? I can't speak for your daughter, but sometimes anxiety problems take a little while to improve. I was going only 2x per month, but it's made a really big difference. Yesterday I walked into a bakery and bought something sans meds. Might not seem like a big deal, but a year ago I couldn't go anywhere at all without them. Of course, you'll have to speak to her to find out how she feels about it and how often she feels like she needs to go.

aussie - I hear ya - there was no way I could go walking around in that kind of freaky weather. I was thinking more about the future - if you're still feeling bummed out by sobriety.
I did think of one thing that should make you feel better if the weather kicks up again. I actually did have to go outside several times a day during the stormy season. Definitely not my choice, but I was renting and wasn't allowed to smoke in the house. Yes, I am that freaking responsible - I actually went outside when the wind was howling and branches were flying all over the place. Now, when you're inside and things are hitting your roof every 5 minutes with a big KABLAM, it's enough to give you a damn heart attack. While sitting outside, I noticed that the branches hitting the roof were about 1/4 of the size I thought they were. The roof was amplifying the noise quite a bit. It probably wouldn't have been pleasant if one of those branches had fallen directly on my head, but it wouldn't have killed me. I felt a lot better after that.

Dave - Yeah, mixes are the best. I actually don't recognize that song…it reminds my of something The Police might have done.

Nothing much to report on my end - still struggling to organize the move/find furniture/work. I'm tired!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
orangutan

Bevin- I have done therapy for this and one of the things I was taught was to gradually face my fear - baby steps i.e. start by looking at a storm from inside and build my way up to going outside. I never have mastered that and still find myself cowering inside ,I guese I haven't done the work to really get over it.

Having another good day, tonight will be a test going out to a dinner everyone will be drinking except me .It will be good to spend some time with people and not at home . Wish me luck.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that was one of the best Men at Work songs Dave - thanks!

D
Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Bad news - have partially torn ligament off bone in shoulder & may need surgery. Also we are going for our holiday of a lifetime outdoorsy, kayaking, swimming, horseriding etc in 6 days.

Good news - had needle length of arm & width of garden hose (well, nearly, honest!) stuck into joint yesterday & feel MILES this morning. Actually woke before alarm feeling rested after 9 days & nights of sleeping any time not actually moving (& sometimes then too...).

Wishing you all a happy day x
Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better really soon RA

D
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Oooh Rebs..OUCH! Just reading about that needle made me dizzy. lol Feel better soon and enjoy your holiday!! (I've been wanting to try my hand at ridin a horse.)

I've been thinking about this lately and wondered if anyone else ever has. I drank probably 7-8 drinks 4-5 nights a week. I rarely went 2 days in a row without drinking. A good week was every other night. So I felt crappy a lot. Usually on day 2 I felt "good", hence, I drank again that night. So I always thought...a number of illnesses have the symptom of fatigue. Like cancer, let's say. People say they had little energy and were fatigued, so they went to the doctor. Well how would I know if I were fatigued or low on energy when I'm always fatigued and low on energy??! Like what if I'm missing a symptom of something? I don't know what normal is..I have no baseline, as it were. Nothing from which to compare. I don't know how I normally feel physically. I've been kinda tired lately, but maybe it's just normally tired..I don't know how I'm supposed to feel. Does this make sense? I'm not freakin out or anything..I'm not implying that I think something's wrong with me..it's just something that I thought about. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I guess I just have to have more time under my belt to really know what I normally feel like? haha..this is a bizarre subject maybe. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by mirage; 06-21-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

aussie - Yes, baby steps are where it's at. When I was anxious to the point of being almost agoraphobic, my therapist told me to just open the front door and stand there for a bit while observing the sensations in my body. Then, walk to the end of the driveway and do the same thing. What I realized is that I had completely been ignoring how my body felt - anxiety tends to make you detach from your body a bit. As I was gearing up to do some of these tasks, I notices that I would start hyperventilating before I even got to the door…and my posture would change as well - I hunched over a bit, which made it even harder to breathe. Just observing those things helped me out immensely. I still haven't got a handle on the posture thing - I constantly have to remind myself to stand up straight so I'm not squishing my torso, but it's getting better.

rebel - Oh, damn. I feel for you. A torn ligament doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I hope you feel better soon.

mirage - Nah, it's not a bizarre subject. Have you been under a lot of stress? That can cause fatigue. Also, dietary habits can affect you quite a bit. Do you drink coffee with sugar in the morning? Do you eat a lot of refined carbs like pasta etc.? How many times do you eat per day? Carol - one of the old timers on this forum - mentions a book she read that goes into quite a bit of detail about alcoholism/hypoglycemia, but I can't remember the title of it right now. Dee - maybe you can help me out here. If not - it'll come to me eventually.
You might want to get a general physical too. I had one a couple years ago and I was amazed to find out that I was physically in pretty good shape. My liver levels were a little elevated, but nothing to cause alarm. Maybe it's my European farmer heritage, but this body can take a lot of abuse. If a major apocalyptic disaster ever comes to pass, I have a feeling that it'll be just me and the cockroaches left in the end!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I should be clearer about something. When I said " how would I know if I'm fatigued or low on energy when I'm always fatigued and low on energy", I meant when I was drinking. I'm feeling pretty good now, I just don't know what's normal, if you know what I mean, because I haven't been not drinking that long. Great questions, tho..no coffee ever, some tea with splenda but not in the morning, not a lot of carbs, etc. I'm in the process of losing some weight, so I'm eating well, but maybe not enough. I think a physical from the doc is a great idea..I haven't been in years and should probably have some blood work done. I'll get on that. Thanks for the response. Haha..you'd better start cozying up to those roaches if you're gonna be buds.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Administrator

Under the Influence by Milar and Ketcham?

I agree there's a lot of things that can make us tired - I remember I was bone tired for quite a while after I stopped drinking - I'd really done a number on myself.

Glad you're feeling better now tho mirage

D
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee..there was really no where to go but up, from how I was feelin in the day.

So in addition to the "feeling normal" idea, I've also been thinking about the role that sobriety might/should/could play in regards to my basic identity. I was pretty much a closet heavy drinker and now I'm pretty much a closet non-drinker. It's ok..it's worked for me so far, but I can't help but wonder if I should be..I dunno..embracing it more? Making it more of who I am? I guess I think about how people are working programs, seeing counselors, doing..more. I don't want to be complacent about it, but I haven't really had the need to do much so far. Anyway..I changed my avatar and sig line in an attempt to, in a small way, make a kind of change.
It was kinda funny actually...I thought about putting a pic of me for my avatar as part of a change. Like maybe showing me would help me feel like I'm owning it or something. I tried it to see if I could figure out how, and I did it! Then I was like..'gahhh! That's MEEE!! Get it off of there!!!' Haha..clearly I'm not ready. Maybe in another couple months.

Hope you're all having a nice Tuesday night!...or Wednesday morning..or Wednesday aftern..oh forget it.