Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 60 days, NAT

D
Old 01-07-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, hope everyone is well.

Nat- congrats on 60! I have followed your lead since my Day 1...thanks. (Great news about the wife too!)

WTS- good to see you back....and still sober.

Tinman- glad to here the meeting went so well.

Have a great day everybody!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I opened a thread about this in Newcomers but thought I'd share here too.

A childhood friend of mine died yesterday at the age of 36 because of alcohol. He started having health problems last year and his doctor told him if he didn't quit drinking that he was going to die. He stayed clean for three months and decided to pick up the bottle again. He drank himself to death.

He was a great athlete, went to college on a baseball scholarship, received his masters degree in education and was a fifth grade teacher for the past 13 years. He leaves behind his wife, a 10 year old son and a two year old daughter. His 10 year old son wants to read a letter he wrote to his dad at the funeral.

This disease spares no one. So keep up the good fight...our lives and the lives of our loved ones depend on it.

Coop
Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your childhood friend, coop.

I am so thankful that we all made it here and hopeful that we all make it out of here (if you get my meaning)

NAT
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I went to my second AA meeting last night, going again tonight. I really have no clue what it's all about, but my plan is just to sit there, shut up and learn something. Because I know nothing.

You see, I've never been an alcoholic before

Have a great day, and a happy weekend.

Giraffe.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

And Coop, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you and his family have good support through this.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really is serious buisness Coop. My condolences again.

I hope everyone has a good, sober, weekend
D
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Coop, sorry to hear about your friend, it really does put things in to perspective doesn't it?

Life is so precious, sometimes I get so caught up in my own "mission" that I don't take time to thank God for another day, and of course thank you all for the support here on SR.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Coop1 - my condolences and thoughts too. It's early morning here so I'm going to make a coffee and go outside and enjoy nature.

Giraffe - thanks for the update on the AA meetings. I am geniunely interested to hear what happens and how it goes.

NoAlcoholToday - see below, this is the update on the cricket. Lots and lots of news on the team Great to hear you've dusted off your mountain bike! It must be really interesting living in Italy.

Dee - I agree with you regarding giving advice on how to stay sober. Good point about remembering if advice was given to me, I'd have shun it. So, unless someone actually asks for anything, I'll not give it.

WatchTheSky - great to see you're back and posting - 67 days - wow! Well done!

Zuri - I hope you're strong today - don't forget to post (if you're able to). I agree with phytoman - you're setting a great example to you children - well done.

IamLivingFree, Tinman and everyone else on this thread, keep strong.

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Aussie cricket team update.jpg (14.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

So sorry Coop......

Me, being honest if it weren't 11.30pm and the shops all closed...I would be getting completely obliterated now, oh how I crave just a few hours of oblivion. Why the hell do I keep trying to be a nice person by doing...why is it not good enough to just be!

Sorry, just brain dumping...will be ok after some sleep!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought of something like AlAnon or Nararon, or some counselling Zuri?
Sounds like you need a hand with this family stuff?

D
Old 01-08-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Start of day 62 for me.

Reading our posts over the past week affirms that this is still very much a roller coaster ride. I've been taking notice of some of the effects of alcohol-free living on my life, but i'll limit it to the first 10 that come to mind,

1. Turning up for work with clear eyes, and not feeling like like i've hit myself with a hammer.
2. Being content to just turn up in the world sober, and feeling that, that is more than good enough for now.
3. Feeling that life is worth living, and actually wanting to live (I used to think that dying would be an OK option).
4. Enjoying seeing positive change in others around me, however small the changes may be at the moment.
5. Actually enjoying the free things in life, like being out in nature, watching the stars, talking to people.
6. Not avoiding everyone (I used to avoid even answering the phone).
7. I've noticed that i'm less judgemental of other people, I beginning to like the person i'm becoming, if that makes sense.
8. After a particularly stressful day i'm not thinking "i deserve/need a drink", but i'm thinking more on the lines of "what have I learnt".
9. I'm using the time in the evenings for positive things like practicing the piano, reading, meditation, setting myself goals, and preparing healthy meals. (I used to just open a bottle, drink it and go to bed drunk - what life is that?), and,
10. I feel like my mind is growing rather than shrinking, (literally and figuritively).

Our lists will be very individual, but the over-riding factor for us all will be to move away from destruction, and step towards happiness.

We can do this together.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
being honest if it weren't 11.30pm and the shops all closed...I would be getting completely obliterated now, oh how I crave just a few hours of oblivion
The shops being closed have saved me once or twice too, Zuri. It is a weird feeling wanting temporary oblivion - its simply no good anyone saying that the problems will still be there tomorrow cos all we wanted was some relief from the problems now so we can sort of recharge before having enough strength to start all over again tomorrow. I am going to look into meditation - I think that could be a good way to take myself away from it all for a bit and come back all refreshed?

Originally Posted by Iamlivingfree View Post
3. Feeling that life is worth living, and actually wanting to live (I used to think that dying would be an OK option).
Its so hard to believe that, only a short time ago, dying would have been a preferable option.
I have another one to add to your list, IALF. A month before I quit, my mind went through the "sooner or later alcohol is going to make me come to a bitter end. I wonder what other addictive substance I can replace it with?". So my number 11 would be "living life for real and thankful I didn't shift to an illegal drug"

Originally Posted by YouAreNumberOne View Post
Great to hear you've dusted off your mountain bike! It must be really interesting living in Italy
It sure is quite a change from living in central London, Rosco. I know you are into photography so here is the view from where I am sitting. Good thing it's a mountain bike!!

And last but not least, congratulations to TinMan on 60 days!!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, well, almost time for bed but I've stopped in.

Saturday night here. I said to my wife just before dinner "you know, we would have normally open a bottle of wine by now". I wondered what her response would be. She said "well, I only feel like drinking now if we have guests over". I haven't mentioned that a) I'm an alcoholic or b) that I've given up for good. I guess she realises that I've stopped (but probably doesn't understand that it's for good).

I had that little voice say "what is there to look forward to tonight?". Ie, nudge, nudge, wink, wink - a couple of bottles of fine shiraz would do the trick but of course, I can see through that "smoke and mirrors" trick. Shiraz = alcohol =not fun = devastation. Regroove that thought process, Rosco.

Zuri, my thoughts are with you. I don't know the AA path, all I know is that I got alot from reading Allen Carr's "Easy way to stop drinking". It's was a big help to me because it was the start of me giving up and seeing booze for what it really was. Secondly, (sorry for sounding like a broken record), Eckhart Tolle (get the Cd's instead of the book - much easier) to understand how the mind can dominate a person. We are not our minds. To be honest, I agree with Eckhart - meditation is great but you can actually skip this step. Analogy? You learn to take to ferry across the English channel but then find out much later, you could drive the tunnel - you get there but it's much quicker.

NoAlcoholToday - great photo! Thanks for this. The rolling hills will get you fit in no time!

Iamlivingfree - wonderful post - congrats on 62 days! I'm going to try using your #8 "After a particularly stressful day i'm not thinking "i deserve/need a drink", but i'm thinking more on the lines of "what have I learnt" .

Well Team, off to bed. 10:39pm. Early! Got to finish my bookclub book (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer).

Stay strong everyone - alcohol is the pits - we all know that - it's the OPPOSITE of being desirable. Noone wants to swallow poison.

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Congrats Livingfree!!! That's a very NICE top 10 list.

I'm excited today. Day 60

Have a great Saturday everyone and stay strong and sober!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good day all!

IALF- Thanks for the list...those are great reminders, I can especially relate to not avoiding everyone. I find myself in public actually approaching people now for conversation. In the past I would avoid it because of the fear of them smelling the alcohol on my breath.

Nat- Great pic, you'll be in shape in no time having to bike on those hills.

Rosco- funny how the weekends have changed, I find myself going to bed early and feeling great in the morning ready to tackle the day.

TinMan- congrats on 60 days...keep stacking them up!

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Coop
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Hi all!

I'm back from a week long pity party I threw myself! Don't know why the "storm clouds" lifted but I woke up this morning in a fantastic mood!

Today is day 69 for me! <<<< (A little something for you Carlos!) After taking some time to reflect, I realize that I went through a similar slump when I reached 30 days! Don't understand why major milestones are causing me so much grief. But at least I know what to expect when 90 days rolls around. I'll be ready for it.

NAT: Thanks for posting the most amazing pics!

WTS & Zuri: Welcome back!

tinman: Great job on reaching 60 days!

Rosco: I hear voices that tell me to drink wine too! :chatter I just keep shaking my head NO!

coop: Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope you find the strength to handle the added stress.

IALF: Congrats on 62 days! Thanks for posting your list. Gave me a lot to think about and be grateful for.

Giraffe: You might just inspire me to stop being a chicken and try out AA. Happy it's been a good experience for you.

Hope I didn't forget anyone! Have a super Sober Saturday!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

It's got to be band time again, surely,

Tinman, passed the 60 day mark;
Chloe, 10 weeks,
Phytoman, passed 8 weeks,
Rosco, 7 weeks,
WTS passed 10 weeks
Rosco, 7 weeks
Me on 9 weeks!

AND more celebrations tomorrow,

What a team, have a great day everyone,

Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to all you guys
D
Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks livingfree, copy and paste is awesome and that's what im doing to your post.

Chloe, 10 weeks,
Phytoman, passed 8 weeks,
Rosco, 7 weeks,
WTS passed 10 weeks
Rosco, 7 weeks
Me(livingfree) on 9 weeks!

That is an awesome list. Keep it up peeps.

Stay strong, stay sober, live in the moment!!!