Notices

August Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 08-27-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Friday morning here. Good whatever where ever you are.

Day 20. Now I'm really beginning to feel I got enough days under my belt that I have a run to protect. I am feeling so awake in the mornings and the world is so much clearer. I never was a bad person but I'm becomming a much better tempered person and probably nicer to be around. I can sense it from my kids. I'm also laughing, really laughing, a lot more.

First day of work yesterday. Having a shower before I went I suddenly felt really anxious. I thought I was going to have a panic attack. I've only ever had one before and that was while driving. I consciously collected myself and work was ok but exhausting. I can see the end of work when I'm tired and relieved as being the most dangerous time for me. Again, though, if I have really decided before not to drink I think I'll have resigned myself.

All in all feeling as good as I've done in years. Happy to have gotten a day of work under my belt and looking forward to entering September sober and drug free.

Last edited by Midton; 08-27-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Break Free..you are a wonderful leader!

You are keeping up with all of us here, thanks for watching over everyone.

I have a splitting headache, and I am tired. I think my body is telling me that sober or not, waking up at 2:00 takes it toll.

It is raining here this evening. My dear daughter told us her volleyball game was at 5:30, alas, hubby and I arrive at 5:30, and find out it was at 4:30. Needless to say, dear daughter was none too happy.

Well another sober day is nearing an end. Heading to the store for some San Pellegrino. I might pick up a salad..leftover chicken just doesn't sound appetizing right now.

I am going to force myself to do a Pilates workout tonight and hopefully have a good nights sleep.

I will probably check in later.....
Old 08-27-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Day 8 and I feel great!!!

Things are going well. I don't crave alcohol even in situations with alcohol. I went to pick up dinner for my mom at her favorite restaurant because she has been so great over the past few days. While I was waiting I sat in the outdoor patio where everyone had glasses of wine. The last thing I wanted was a sip, though I was fine with them enjoying it.

I again want to thank everyone for the kind words of support. Aside from the physical damage my body is recovering from, this has been a smoother then expected process. It's so great not to wake up feeling sick and shaky! Now I just need more activities to fill the time that I used to spend drunk or passed out during the day. What a waste.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
hypercube

Midton, finishing the day at work tired and stressed is a major trigger for me, too. One thing that's really helping is attending aqua-aerobics classes or yoga in the evenings after work. I figure I need to change my routine. If I'm too tired or unwell, I do something like rent a DVD or snuggle up with a good book. Another alternative is a hot bubble bath, or even just going to bed to ride out the cravings and the accompanying depressed mood. I'm also avoiding activities that are centred around alcohol, i.e. like going to pubs and clubs. I'm relishing the cognitive clarity of being 21 days sober; my work is improving, as is my stamina! I no longer have chronic gastritis.

I'm starting to lose weight and my skin is looking better. I'm not getting sugar cravings, but rather the opposite, as I eat more crap when I drink (pizza, take-away, chocolate). My sugar levels are far more stable when not drinking. I'm drinking a lot of mineral water and I've found some delicious carrot, lemon and ginger juice to mix with it. In short, I plan ahead to minimise cravings and triggers and make sure that I have healthy activities available that occupy my time. I'm still in the process of organising sessions with a psychologist with experience in addictions, trauma and abuse.

One very motivating reason to not drink when I feel triggered by situations like work, is that I refuse to let something have that amount of power over me. I refuse to give up my hard work and hard earned health, I refuse to make the trigger more important than my own well-being.

The above also answers BreakFree's What, if anything, are you doing right now to compliment your recovery? question.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

I went to my first therapy session this morning. Oh man, I let it all out. I was nearly crying telling her everything on my mind and kind of had trouble keeping it together at work today. But, let me tell you... it was a GOOD kind of crying, if you know what I mean! I think I'm ready to work on myself and everything I have gone through. I totally was honest about my alcohol problems with her, which is great. Get it out in the open on the first session.

Also, I told my parents about the therapy and they were so so supportive. My Dad wrote me an amazing e-mail that got me all emotional. It was about life, how he needed therapy for a while back in the 80's when he went through a depression, etc. He wrote some nice words to me which I want to share with you all:

Life is like swimming in a sea with no islands. We keep swimming, thinking that soon we'll come upon a restful shore. But we are like sharks. We must keep swimming to stay alive. Eventually we acquire wisdom. We realize that it's fun to swim.

Don't despair. Keep on swimming. Keep on climbing. Love will keep you well.

Love,
Dad

There was more to the email, but this was the end of it. I have great parents and need to remember that.

Breakfree, FEEL BETTER!!! We have gotten through DAY 3!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to be friends with you on Facebook, Jason. If anyone else wants to do that, just send me a PM.

Laura
Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

SO GOOD to see so many folks filtering in! :) YAY! :) I'll be back...got to get a very late dinner on the table! :O

Just finished my mocktail ;)

(((hugs)))
Old 08-27-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
hypercube

Life is like swimming in a sea with no islands. We keep swimming, thinking that soon we'll come upon a restful shore. But we are like sharks. We must keep swimming to stay alive. Eventually we acquire wisdom. We realize that it's fun to swim.
traderjane, what an awesome Dad! He seems like a lovely man. Well done on attending therapy, too. By the sounds of it, your session was cathartic and healing.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Wow, Laura! Thank you for sharing your dad's awesome words! Seems like a wonderful man.

Melissa, how's your tummy tonight?

Midton -- I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling great. Keep up the good work!

ANewAugust -- How's the headache? Hang in there. Hope you had a yummy salad!

Carlisle -- Good to hear that you're sans cravings! I'm still craving a glass of wine something fierce!

Box -- I wish i could say that I'm eating as healthy as you are! Since I quit drinking, I've been craving junk food BIG TIME! And sweets! I've never been one to eat sweets!

Well, I'm off to dinner (perhaps I should order a salad?). Have a great night, guys. I'll check in on you all in a couple of hours. No drinking while I'm gone!!! Kidding...

Jason
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Well I see you guys are behaving yourselves. Back from dinner. Had water and a salad.

On to the next day!!!

Have a good Friday, guys!

Jason
Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Hey folks...just checking in. Hope everyone is well. Welcome Angelina - theres some nice peeps in here, I think you'll like it.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Hey, awfully quiet here tonight, guys!

Woo Hoo Jason, water and a salad! Why not follow it with a 5 mile run (just kidding...)

Angelina, welcome! I remember you from the July thread, I think! How is everyone doing on there? That was a nice group, too. But I'm discovering sobriety in late August, so here I am...

I hope the fact that everyone is quiet is a good sign. I am finally feeling better after the emotional mess I was after therapy this morning. All steps in a positive direction -- I believe you have to work at things to make progress.

I TRULY enjoyed my Trader Joe's Pommagranite (how do you spell that word?) Limeade tonight, on ice in a plastic wine glass. It's an acquired taste. I did not like it at first, now just can't get enough. It beats red wine any day of the week.

Well, good night all. It's time for some zzzzzs
Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

I haven't checked in for a while. I'm sure some of you know why. 10 days down the drain, still at it, detox scares the sh*t out of me...

Any of you want to see alcoholism in its (at least MY) finest?

Tell me how this happened...I can't say. I have absolutely NO reccolection whatsoever...
I woke up 6 days ago with this. It was hideous. Hurt(s) like hell. Took this pic today. It's a lot nicer looking today than it was a several days ago....
Still drinking heavily.

Not proud at all, not sure if a pic will show on this site...

This is disgusting, this is me right now.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I used to wake up and see bruises on me too....I usually had no recollection of what happened. Glad you are here. You are not alone.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Thank you Angelina.

I hate that I have sunk into it again, but here I am...
7 days wasted ( hah, literally). I managed to do 10 days here before. I am so sad. I need to stop. I need to not black out 6 days a week...
I need to stop posting here when I'm wasted...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I think you should keep posting. Keep reaching out for help. There is a part of you that doesn't want to keep doing this (drinking I mean)...otherwise I don't think you would be here. I can only speak for myself--of course, but when I wanted to drink I didn't want anyone else interfering........but when I reached out for help..sometimes even while drinking etc...I was willing to listen to what others had to say. Drinking or not--I am glad you are here.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

That's a nasty bruise sph !

I've woken up all bruised lots of times.

One time, I woke up under a tree in a park 5 miles from home.

Don't know how I got there either, last thing I remembered was sitting at home alone drinking.

You had 10 days sober !
That's great!

Most of us here have stumbled and fallen many times.

I'm glad you're here too.
Don't give up trying.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sphal

the thing about detox is - the longer you drink, the worse it tends to be.
Stop now, Sphal - you've got support here

If you're at all worried - see a doctor, ok?
D
Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hey y'all. The prodigal daughter again...

I gotta sober up for real if I wanna not go into the Sept. class--I mean, I came from July (thought that would be all I needed--didn't count on this whole sobriety thing being how it is).

I want to, but for some reason I can't. I don't get it either. It's harder than it looks, that's for sure.

I mean, we're talking about putting a bottle down. How hard can that be? I'm a strong woman--shipping industry most my life. I can pick up 80 pounds, can't put down 2.

Anyways, I'm in it to try--again. I feel like such a failure. And I'm not going to give up till it happens, but d-. Somehow I figure it ought to have happened by now. Yet here I stand, four days, again. And I messed up. Again. He- I don't even like drinking. I just hate the shakes, so I drink.

HUH?

Anyways, August class, I'm determined to make it before we're finished with our month in the spotlight. I don't know how yet, but I'm gonna be sober by the time it turns to September.

And all y'all doing it, keep it up. Y'all are helping more people than you know...
Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Day 19. Just about to hit my third weekend sober. I have a long trip to church planned Sunday (Orthodox churches are always soooooooo far away!). Not sure what to do Saturday just yet but I will think of something. Posted about my Thursday night on another thread. So on course.

Weight has began to go in the direction I now want it to. First fortnight I ballooned. I even struggled to get into my jeans! I looked pregnant. Then, all of a sudden, every morning I get on the scales a couple of pounds has gone.

At the moment as it is early days I do not deny myself anything in the house. I have cake, ice-cream, licorice, sweets, lots of good coffee, lots of good NA soft drinks, lots of pizza, lots of every damn thing. I wll phase out some of this eventually but right now if I feel like something by God I am going to have a bit of it. Oh...I forgot to mention the mountain of cashew nuts too!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Well my friends,
Some things are great. I am on day 27. My wife is back home after 6 weeks gone to visit her family. It is sounding surer and surer that my oldest son will be getting home on Labor Day weekend after a one year tour in Afghanistan. I find it easier and easier not to drink. I do attend 2 meeting each week and find that these help shore up my resolve before it becomes weak.
The really bad news. My wife and I are leaving today to go see my Dad. It will be the last time we get to see him alive. He has terminal cancer and has no more than 3-4 weeks. He is still quite aware of whating is happening and has a great sense of humor. I am looking forward to seeing him, but not leaving him or loosing him. It is life, but it doesn't make it any easier.
The August group has done well. We have had sucesses, some were longer than others, but the most important part is having a real desire to quit drinking. Best of luck and see you soon.