Notices

Smoking

Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smoking

After a slip w alcohol this week I know I need to be more vigilant with substances. I have had a casual attitude about pot because it doesn't affect me in the same harmful ways that alcohol does- but today I'm realizing how silly that sounds. It's a drug and it's not good for someone getting sober. I'm posting this to be accountable to my desire to be totally substance free!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Full sober is the way to be:-)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kittycat

I do believe it hits those same spots in the brain that alcohol does and, more than that, it makes really dumb ideas seem brilliant.

Glad you're back and fighting

D
Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Day 5. I have had a few moments where I've been tempted to smoke - but have remained vigilant. It feels good to be clear-headed and frankly not high-tired all the time. Don't get me wrong, I've not been sleeping great and so I've been tired, but I know it's not from substances. So that's great. I am looking forward to reaping the benefits of a clean lifestyle in the future.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep it up, rootin for ya!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 5's a great start. Sleeping probs are to be expected. They should sort themselves out.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job!

after awhile marijuana always gave me horrible panic attacks that lasted days, sure panic attacks cant hurt you but the stress and fear they cause reduce quality of life! Ive heard from many people that marijuana simply quit making people feel relaxed after years of use and so all you have left is the anxiety/depression.

Honestly I think all mind altering drugs prescribed or not do the same thing

I for one used to be in the "marijuana is completely harmless" crowd, from first-hand experience, it really isnt, sure its not as bad as others but to say its harmless is just the addictive voice talkin,

I used to convince myself that alcohol was safe because I drank moderately and had regular dr checkups that cleared my health HA! what a lie that was
Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah no kidding holds. I was smoking almost daily for a long time. Not all day every day, but a toke here and there, esp at night to help me relax. In the last week I've felt more emotional and although I hope I even out I am glad I'm not just numbing myself!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guarantee you will even out emotionally kittycat

D
Old 09-01-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I ditched the marijuana as well - only recently. Like Holds, I found it was just making me anxious, which made me want to drink and smoke cigarettes, and if I smoked it every day, really tired and listless. Bad for the memory too, I think. Plus it's expensive. I do think overall it is less harmful than alcohol, but still harmful in many respects. Great going on day 5!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're quitting marijuana. I also kept my "casual attitude" towards pot after I quit booze...but deep inside it wasn't casual at all. Marijuana represented that last thread of escape and I wasted almost a year of good sobriety hanging on to that thread. Sounds like you are wise to let go. You'll be feeling better in no time, the first week or two can be irritating. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One year free from marijuana

I just realised that I have had a whole year free of marijuana. I didn't really think about it until I was trying to work out when I last smoked tobacco and drank. So the deal is this - I drank on five six separate occasions over the past year and I smoked tobacco on each of those nights too. But I didn't pick up a regular nicotine addiction again. And I never smoked marijauna.

I joined this site to support me in recovery from alcohol abuse as I was definitely addicted to booze.

As for marijauna, I wasn't doing a lot but I was acting foolishly every time I took it so it's OK to live life without it now.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah friendS! Sombrero you are too hard on yourself, you did not waste a year of sobriety...but I'm glad to have others here sharing with my quitting pot....feel free to post here with me about how it goes for you.....
Old 10-06-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 13 (slipped since last post obviously, but back on sobriety train). Very glad I quit.

A good friend of mine has over 3 mos sober from pot. He quit for a drug test for a new job and even though he could start again he is choosing not to. He is feeling great and doesn't want to go back to that ball and chain....he is enjoying the freedom from it. Inspiring!

Me, I'm enjoying the freedom too, not having to worry about getting it or having it or others smelling it on me (which if I am honest with myself, they certainly must have from time to time.) I've been emotional lately and I think I am finally starting to process all those feelings I was masking with the pot.

To anyone wondering if it's worth quitting pot even if it's "not a problem" like alcohol was (my prior mindset) - do it, it's harming your sobriety and you'll feel heaps better!
Old 10-07-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yay!!!! That's great. I feel so much better without it too.