Notices

Short story about on how I quit

Old 08-13-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Short story about on how I quit

Hello,
Out if all 10 of friends, I quit and quit for good.

I was lucky because weed actually made me very deppressed , it amplified all my problems and thoughts and all saw ahead was doom and gloom and I could feel my life slipping away into this hole of a life with no ambition or care in the world.

So I stopped just like that , and ended up turning to alcohol (which is another issue)

Not having smoked for 4 years I decided to have a cookie to go down memory lane. I must say I will never do it again, all the doom all the gloom all the demons and depression came back .

Now I have finished my studies and have started to successfully manage my small business, I catch up with my old friends here and there and am amazed how much they have not changed or progressed.

Iam glad Marijuana is illegal, if it wasn't we would have a massive decline in intelligence in our young population, I don't know how I would convince my younger 15yr old bro that it will ruin you.

Thanks for reading
Old 08-13-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Until I gave up all mind altering substances I was still an addict just a different type of addict. I constantly have to be on the lookout for addictive behaviors because I can get addicted to anything
Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thank that's all of us, MIRecovery .

Some ppl are just better equipped to deal with addictions, ie good jobs, good up bringing, good role models.

But The joy of working on yourself is also addictive.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the forum Madruski

D
Old 08-13-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not that you don't make a fair point, but addiction doesn't discriminate. I had a very good upbringing, yet become a complete fiend when it comes to anything that makes me feel good.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Madruski View Post
I thank that's all of us, MIRecovery .

Some ppl are just better equipped to deal with addictions, ie good jobs, good up bringing, good role models.

But The joy of working on yourself is also addictive.
We can always come up with reason why we drink. I had an absolutely dynamite reason to drink but I chose sobriety because regardless of our life circumstances there are lots of reasons just no good ones
Old 08-18-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dude thats exactly how I feel!! Like its made me more insecure, and like super ******* depressed. and lonely. and its just worse on it...
Old 08-18-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by somegirlnamed View Post

Dude thats exactly how I feel!! Like its made me more insecure, and like super ******* depressed. and lonely. and its just worse on it...
I got bad anxiety, lost my confidence and felt lonely too from smoking pot. It started out as such a great thing, then eventually (after years of use) the mild mental health problems kick in which usually get worse because most pot smokers tell you to "smoke through it" and you just choose to smoke a joint and forget and sometimes you do. But then those times you don't it knocks you down a few levels further and it's hard to pick yourself up.

Welcome to SR by the way, hope you decide to quit and get the happiness you deserve
Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello,
Out if all 10 of friends, I quit and quit for good.

I was lucky because weed actually made me very deppressed , it amplified all my problems and thoughts and all saw ahead was doom and gloom and I could feel my life slipping away into this hole of a life with no ambition or care in the world.

So I stopped just like that , and ended up turning to alcohol (which is another issue)

Not having smoked for 4 years I decided to have a cookie to go down memory lane. I must say I will never do it again, all the doom all the gloom all the demons and depression came back .

Now I have finished my studies and have started to successfully manage my small business, I catch up with my old friends here and there and am amazed how much they have not changed or progressed.

Iam glad Marijuana is illegal, if it wasn't we would have a massive decline in intelligence in our young population, I don't know how I would convince my younger 15yr old bro that it will ruin you.

Thanks for reading
Hi

Really enjoyed your post, quitting pot made my motivation increase so much as well as my productivity.

Had any luck trying to show your brother why he shouldn't smoke as I have a 16 year old younger brother id like to not see go down the same path and lose out on years of potential progress he could have made instead of smoking pot?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi bainzy22

Glad you enjoyed the post and Thanks for the feedback.

In regards to my brother, I basically told him the same, it will ruin you . he said "but it makes you chilled and relaxed, and there are lots of smart people on weed"

My response was "our family doesn't tolerate what's illegal, unsuccessful, and antisocial, if you choose that path over your studies, then you will drag you out of it without your consent" he went silent , nodded, and agreed and you could tell he respected our family values.

Now I know its hippocritical of me to be that strict because I enjoyed pure freedom in my teens, but its from my mistakes and my parents mistakes that I came out with a alchol problem and marijuana problem thanks to this "freedom, let your kids choose bullsh1t" ,

And I wish my brother the best and only natural to look out for him -despite how much he screams "unfair" his studies and career goals come first. He needs a good role model and iam hoping my father and I are it. Hence another reason i chose to go sober.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Something that I tell my young friends about smoking pot that might be useful is that when you are young, the paint is still wet. Wait until it dries before you start smoking pot all the time.

I certainly smoked too much pot for a long time but I really think that it benefitted me personally to not start until I was out of high school and out of my parents' house.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi bainzy22

Glad you enjoyed the post and Thanks for the feedback.

In regards to my brother, I basically told him the same, it will ruin you . he said "but it makes you chilled and relaxed, and there are lots of smart people on weed"

My response was "our family doesn't tolerate what's illegal, unsuccessful, and antisocial, if you choose that path over your studies, then you will drag you out of it without your consent" he went silent , nodded, and agreed and you could tell he respected our family values.

Now I know its hippocritical of me to be that strict because I enjoyed pure freedom in my teens, but its from my mistakes and my parents mistakes that I came out with a alchol problem and marijuana problem thanks to this "freedom, let your kids choose bullsh1t" ,

And I wish my brother the best and only natural to look out for him -despite how much he screams "unfair" his studies and career goals come first. He needs a good role model and iam hoping my father and I are it. Hence another reason i chose to go sober.
Dear @Madruski

What gets me is that when I compare cases of using marijuana to placate symptoms of cancer and other diseases, vs. CURING their causes by using Spiritual Healing (which is free, natural, with no side effects and can CURE the root cause of addictions also which pot does NOT cure), people who want to justify marijuana are "closed minded" to research on spiritual healing, but keep pushing research that only backs their interest in pot. What does that tell you? If they were really into curing people of diseases, wouldn't they be open to research on other cures as well, including spiritual healing that has more positive track record and potential than marijuana?

It is very strange, I don't see this level of denial about alcohol causing addictions and problems as I do with people arguing about pot.

I wish I could get your insights on this, but that is OT as political. I have been going in circles with friends on usmessageboard about this, and only ONE looked into spiritual healing and agreed with me that was a better solution. All the others just want to defend pot even if there are better, more natural cures that could be researched and developed that have no risks or side effects at all.

????
Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's awesome that you quit. Congrats to you. Life can only get better from here.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emilynghiem View Post
Dear @Madruski

What gets me is that when I compare cases of using marijuana to placate symptoms of cancer and other diseases, vs. CURING their causes by using Spiritual Healing (which is free, natural, with no side effects and can CURE the root cause of addictions also which pot does NOT cure), people who want to justify marijuana are "closed minded" to research on spiritual healing, but keep pushing research that only backs their interest in pot. What does that tell you? If they were really into curing people of diseases, wouldn't they be open to research on other cures as well, including spiritual healing that has more positive track record and potential than marijuana?

It is very strange, I don't see this level of denial about alcohol causing addictions and problems as I do with people arguing about pot.

I wish I could get your insights on this, but that is OT as political. I have been going in circles with friends on usmessageboard about this, and only ONE looked into spiritual healing and agreed with me that was a better solution. All the others just want to defend pot even if there are better, more natural cures that could be researched and developed that have no risks or side effects at all.

????
Well unfortunately I cannot comment much in your topic as I dont dwell that far into it. All I can say there will always be a left sided team to an argument, and a right sided team, its just how the world works. This topic issue will continue for years.

Iam not surprised that weed users defend weed, afterall it does cause a dumbing effect on the brain, in their world weed is the answer to everything, and now with social media its become alot more of a easy subject and culture.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dear Madruski:
It is heartening to hear not only that you quit,
but you also get this denial problem tied up with politics I think.
I used to think alcohol was harder to quit, but maybe that's just true chemically with the depression it can cause which can be deadly dangerous.
Psychologically perhaps marijuana is harder to quit because it is being pushed as "relatively harmless" with less pressing reasons.

I am wondering, is it my imagination, or is there a psychological
difference between alcohol denial vs. marijuana denial.

Is it because ppl with alcohol denial are only defending their own usage personally, while the other is some mass political battle to defend a collective class of ppl all trying to defend and deny etc.

Why does this seem different to me?
I've tried to explain the difference, but can't quite pinpoint it in words.

Can you help? How would you explain the difference. Is it because politics is involved?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in the US. There was no politics involved for me.

I think I attended 2 benefits for decriminalisation in 30 years and that was on the urging of friends.

Getting involved in politics meant I would have had to leave the house ...and why do that when I could sit at home and smoke?

For me, the negative consequences of marijuana addiction were simply not as self evident to me as the negative consequences of drinking.

For a long time after I quit pot, I thought about going back to it, far longer in fact than I had thoughts about going back to drinking.

D
Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dee - in the end pot is less destructive(but still destructive) then alcohol or other drugs , maby that's why I think you wanted to go back to it more then alcohol, perhaps less destructive social situations on weed?

Emily - I live in Australia, and here marijuana is culturally very accepted behind closed doors, and there is not much political issues about it because half he country uses it. The police also arnt that strickt towards it unless you sell. Personally To me and my family it is destructive, that's my view, too others its a godsent medical savior.

It really is a 50/50 type of drug, its either good or its bad. You either like it, or you don't.

If someone would ask me if they should start using weed too help their problems go away, I would say "sure, go ahead, But it will cost you your life ambition and your mind will be stuck at the age you started smoking , if you want a a false world, them smoke if you want the real world Dont smoke. Its that simple.

A person really has to be abit thick to be always defending drugs and trying to legalise them. Since we are here I think we know sober is the way forward.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee - in the end pot is less destructive(but still destructive) then alcohol or other drugs , maby that's why I think you wanted to go back to it more then alcohol, perhaps less destructive social situations on weed?
I think it was *every bit* as destructive MR - but less obviously destructive.
It was all the more dangerous and insidious for that.

D
Old 09-07-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I suppose your right, on alcohol people frantically and loose everything, but on marijuana you loose everything slowly, and what's worse is you don't even care that your loosing it. It sends you into a hypnotic trance that everything is OK.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Pot was more like the frog boiling scenario than any other addiction I was subject to...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...dont-frog.html