Notices

Here we go

Old 08-15-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I totally agree, Dee ! Stay clean and sober, do whatever you can to support that and strenghten yourself physically and mentally by drinking lots of H2O, working out /exercise of any kind and learning some simple breathing exercises like urge surfing as a tool for when an urge hits. You need to be prepared and only you can do this work of healing.

If it's to be, it's up to me !!!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

How you holding up teodor?
Old 08-22-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hello RT, thanks for checking up!

It's day 15 ! Well ... I feel good. I still have chronic fatigue and I sleep a lot, but also I'm more motivated, more organized, I've more time for everything, more money as well, I'm starting to actually sort out all the things that I should have a long time ago.

Another thing I noticed - it seems that weed has taken my confidence away. Before I started smoking I used to be more confident, especially with girls and etc. But during my heavy smoking time it seems that this has changed. I just became unsure, paranoid, weak maybe ? Now that I've stopped, my confidence is slowly returning.

I had the chance to meet new amazing people, start new activities and slowly my life is turning into another direction. I try not to drink, but truth is I don't really want to for the moment. A couple of days ago I was at this dance party and felt like drinking, so I drank some, but it didn't made me feel better, but the contrary, although it was very little. I don't know if I'm going to be a total abstainer, but for the moment is better to be that way. Yesterday I was at this dance party and did not drank at all and it was good!

My appetite is better now, not sure for the weight, I've to check on that, but I feel better about it, even though I don't know what the situation is exactly.

When I come to think about it, most of my smoking time I would just smoke myself to semi coma and just stay home doing nothing pretty much. And there's some much to be done, so many people to meet and so many things to do!

I still don't feel very confident about the whole not smoking thing and etc, but I'm just taking it slowly. For the moment I'm focusing on my life and etc, how to improve it, what new things I can do and etc. It seems that I'm able to get more things done now.

I still have some paranoid episodes and etc, also other things that I believe might be caused by the withdrawal, but hey, it's just 15 days.

When I write this I feel a little bit of fear to not let it down and not let down my self as well.

I might try to smoke some day in the future, but I dunno ... it doesn't seem as compelling as it used to.

You can only see the true effects that smoking had on you when you quit completely and also when you try to change your life for the better. Then you get to see the difference and compare it.

I honestly believe God is with us and it's helping us in every moment, so just hang in there and everything will sort out.

How are you doing RT, haven't heard from you lately ? I'm thinking of you, hang in there bud and be sure to check in here as often as you can.

How is everyone else doing ?

Thank you so much everyone for your help, support, experience and knowledge!
I wouldn't have done it without you and that means a lot to me, for real!!!

Thank you, you're awesome !!!
Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 2 weeks Teodor

D
Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Great news ! Really happy for you Teodor ! You're doing awesome and building new experiences, new relationships,etc. definitely has you on the right track ! Way to go !
Old 08-23-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good to hear that you're trucking through this teodor. You seem to be doing fairly well for 2 weeks in. It'll all sort itself out. In terms of confidence in your sobriety and wondering if you'll ever smoke again, I'll tell you to not worry about it atm. Just be confident you can make it 24 hours without smoking. I will say however, that I firmly believe we cannot go back once we've begun smoking addictively. Maybe others will disagree, but I've witnessed and experienced this personally. The weed monster's just waiting in the closet to be let out again. He may bang at the door for a long time, but he'll likely always be in the closet.

You seem to be mindful about the drinking. My first quit, I started drinking here and there at about 3 weeks in. I'm thoroughly convinced it kept my brain from properly rewiring, and eventually ended up playing a big role in my relapse. Plus, I never liked alcohol nearly as much as weed, and always felt like a hypocrite trying to quit one substance while indulging in another. It's up to you, but I'd definitely stay away for now. It's tough when the crap's so engrained in society. It all comes along with changing our lifestyle. If you can go to parties/clubs sober and still have a good time, then all the more to you. I always hated this, as I'd be white-knuckling it through a toxic environment the entire time. Just be mindful.

I'm doing better at the moment. Crossing my fingers and trying not to jinx myself, but I think I've finished my detox. I'll be 6 weeks in at midnight. The antidepressant I started taking when I started this seems to be kicking in too. Idk, but I've had much more clarity and much less anxiety/depression the past few days. I still seem to be getting headaches a bit more often than I'd like though. Oh well. Ibuprofen to the rescue. Trying to still work out some sleeping issues too.

Keep it going bud!
Old 08-23-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It's great to hear you're feeling much better , RT ! I agree, six weeks in , you should be done with the detoxing. Now, just brain healing which takes time. I find my energy/stamina seem to be here one day and lower another day. Oh well, I'm going to start taking two natural things for that - maca and rhodiala rosea
Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yup, this is how the addictive process works teodor. We forget how crappy we felt, and remember all the "good" times even though they're long over. I think it has to do with the whole acceptance thing. For me, the better I feel, the more I generally crave. The illusion that one can handle it becomes very convincing. We have to stay strong. I'm sure the madness will end to some extent at some point. Part of it also has to do with refilling the void in our lives.

The chicken and the egg thing I think is particularly hard to figure out. I think everybody has to determine it for themselves. Trust your track record, not your emotions. For me, I believe I'm the problem. I had a history of binge eating/bulimia before I got involved with drugs, letting me know that something was up. Regardless of what the problem initially was, here I am now unable to change the past and having to deal with the present. I wouldn't dwell on it too much. Concentrate on moving forward.

I've never heard of those two supplements hc. I totally understand wanting to stick to the natural route. I've found great help with one called L-Theanine. It's more of a relaxing thing though. I seldom feel low energy as much as I feel too much almost, which leads to my mind racing and panic. I guess it's how I got my name . Getting better though. I really hope they work for you.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I agree RT with just focusing on moving forward. I believe the more positive habits we build each day with a vision of our life that excites us in some way will put distance and desire to go back further and further away. I don't believe just quitting pot is enough - we must change our lives with new, positive, rewarding habits and routines. Then the past truly IS the past !
Old 08-27-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support everyone and glad to see you RT, I've started to worry about you. Glad you're doing OK! Congrats on 6 weeks, that's a lot!

I'm doing OK, it's almost 3 weeks here. I still have the chronic fatigue, I'm really tired and sleepy, I've some nightmares and stuff, not sure if related.

The weight is still bothering me a little, but I feel better about it.

I have some mild cravings, like right now, but actually I'm not sure if I really want it, I guess not, it's just a sort of a habit to smoke in certain situations maybe.

In overall I don't think about it too much and stuff, but yesterday I had doubts about liking a Facebook page, because it involved the word "High" although it had nothing to do with pot. Maybe it's just fear.

About the alcohol - I'm trying to avoid it. I was at this party last Saturday, at first I was not going to drink or was not sure about it, but then decided to go with some, and some more and more, I got a little bit drunk, not too much, it was kind of fun and etc, not bad or anything, but then the next oh boy - I felt like crap - tired, anxious and depressed. I don't think it was really worth it, but still I want to be able to do it from time to time or at least not be afraid of it.

I occasionally feel like drinking a beer or two, or something else at a party and etc, but I'm trying not do it for the moment or at least not often.

So far so good, it seems that I'm able to better manage my life now when not smoking, so that's great! I also feel more confident overall, so step by step we go forward!

And yes, doing new things and making positive changes in your life is a good idea and it helps! Go out there, do new things, meet new people, stuff like that, I believe is for the better!

Thank you again and keep on the good work!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

3 weeks is great Teodor - I hope the fatigue lifts soon

D
Old 08-28-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Teodor, you're doing awesome. I'm proud of you man. Keep at it.

And yup, recovering from weed addiction+hangover=no thank you. Been there done that, no more for me.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thank you very much RT, your words means a lot!

About the drinking - I had some yesterday while on disco, I dunno why, I just wanted to, it's like I thought I can't have fun without it, which I doubt actually, I did not drank much, but it seems I'm making worse choices when drinking - I had a drink, then wanted another, got it, then right after my company was about to live (oh, did I mention I was with the car), but I decided to stay because of the drink I just got!!!, so I stayed with this girl I went with, then the music got too loud (bad DJ I guess), but still I did not left, now my ear is not happy, I slept too much and my whole schedule is like ****** up.

Also there's this cool party tonight but I'm not sure if I'll go, because my ear is still not very OK from yesterday, I guess it needs some rest, but I want to go ... nvm if I hadn't had that second drink I would have left earlier, my ear would have been totally fine, I wouldn't have slept so much (I woke up like 1 pm) and so one and so one. And once I started drinking I didn't care much I was with the car and etc.

This is the thing - if I start drinking is hard for me to control it - usually I end up drinking a lot, doing stupid things and being left with a hangover.

So maybe I've to stay totally sober, but boy that seems difficult, I mean alcohol is all over everywhere, it's like everyone is drinking and it seems people are having a hard time having fun without it. But is that a real fun ?! Being inadequate, irresponsible and etc. Also when I'm sober and watching drunk people well ... they seem pathetic ...

Also yesterday (and I only had a total of 1 whiskey about 100 gr) I got myself thinking - it's not so bad to get wasted from time to time and etc and that is a dangerous thinking pattern. It could quickly spread to another substances and etc. It's like once you drink you open this door and oh boy it's not OK.

Anyways - so far so good. It's 3+ weeks, I'm feeling good about it, still detoxicating and stuff, still tired and etc, but it's great to be free!

Now I have to sort out the thing with alcohol, it's just that I don't want to be scared of it and I want to be able to have a drink or two if I want to, but that same thinking pattern of not being scared of it and etc got me to my relapse 4-5 months or so ago.

And still not being able to have a single beer if I want to seems a little bit too much, but then when drinking same thinking patterns emerge, a little bit of the same feeling and etc when on pot, I mean you just want to get wasted and etc, drink more, then again and again and it's just plain stupid.

It's a complicated journey and very few people seem to be aware of those things, but I guess that's the way it is ... most people just don't think much, like most people did not noticed how loud the music was yesterday and etc, what's left for big and complicated things like that and not to start with even more complicated things.

But I just want to have fun, party and etc, I missed a LOT those last years when smoking and not doing much else. Now I want to catch up, be active, go out, do new things, have fun, meet new people, engage in new activities and etc.

I'm not saying alcohol will help with those things, but when it comes to parties ... I dunno ... but then if you need alcohol or anything else on such parties to have fun, what does that mean - maybe they are not good and fun in the first place and you need something to numb yourself so you can actually enjoy them. And if that's the case, what's the point ?!? Because yesterday I just wanted to numb myself and that's not OK.

BTW today I feel more depressed, a little bit anxious maybe too ... I guess that's due to the alcohol maybe, but not sure. But I seem to find a link to it, because the last time was the same but worse, because I drank more.

I hope my rumbling helps and I will appreciate some insights, suggestions, experience and also your opinion.

Thank you very much!
Old 08-29-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't drunk in 8 years Teodor and I have a lot of fun - more than I ever had drinking. Don't buy into the BS.

D
Old 08-29-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Teodor, this was a huge issue I dealt with all last year, and it became a menace to my mental wellbeing. Same thing as you. Wanted to quit the pot but be able to drink and party still (even though I always hated drinking without weed after). I would go to parties, get tipsy/drunk, and feel horrible the next day. On nights where I wasn't partying, it was also easy to justify a few beers "to take the edge off because this is what normal people do right?". I forced myself to moderate, and never liked it. Who wants to stop just as it's starting to get fun? Over time, 1-3 beers became 3-5, and sometimes I would just say screw it, get hammered, and be totally miserable the entire next day (I would also feel like crap too if I drank in "moderation"). Then one day last February, I decided to quit the drinking too. I lasted over a month 100% sober.

Then one night some girls were coming over to my friend's place to drink/party and I decided to go (experiencing same thoughts you are). After five beers, hitting my friend's bowl didn't seem like that big of a deal. I had over six months sober right (I also had been considering relapse for a couple weeks prior as well)? So after smoking, I proceeded to get completely obliterated and ended up having 13 drinks that night, vomit and all. Then within a 2-3 months I was smoking just as much/more than I ever had and truly just wished I was dead.

I'm not sure if I'm an alcoholic or what. I know for sure though that drinking doesn't do anything good for me or my recovery. Addiction is the disease, the drug of choice is a technicality. I haven't had a drink since July 3rd, and feel way better than I did when I was 7 weeks in last time. I've personally decided to abandon the party lifestyle. One party eventually led to me being a drugged out recluse in my apartment. I'm in a college town where it's all there is to do, and I'm still avoiding it. I get that it's hard, but you've got to change the way you see the world man. Drunk people are pathetic. You might think you're suave when drunk, but it's an illusion. You'll stand out to girls even more if you aren't a drunk neanderthal like everyone else.

That's about all I'm going to say. You've got to look deep inside yourself and figure out where you want your life to go. The compulsion to keep drinking once you've had one won't sort itself out, it'll get worse.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

As an addict, I over do everything that makes me "feel good". Pot, alcohol, pain pills.....

If it alters me, I over do it. Plane and simple. Took me many years to figure that out. I was always in the hunt for a buzz. Oh reminds me...add Kratom and Phenihut to the list. Always looking. When nothing else easily available, alcohol took 1st chair.

Our issue is often not with a DOC, but with an addiction to being high. One way or another. That's the core problem.

I'm finding that after 4months off any drug with an exception of a pot relapse a little while ago, I'm finding it more and more possible to have fun without being high in something.

It's going to take time to reset ourselves and to enjoy life without a buzz. That's because we've spent years upon years using alcohol and drugs to have fun. We don't know anything else. We've training our core thinking process to believe we can't have fun without them.

Got something worth celebrating? Time to party. Had a bad day/week, need to lighten up? Time to party. The list goes on an on. It's what WE'VE done to program ourselves.

All it takes to deprogram is time. Time away from drugs and alcohol. The more time we are sober, the more we find ways to have fun without them.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Oh...I neglect to mention something that may offer a ray of hope. I am 4 months sober with an asterisks next to it for smoking pot a while ago.

At this stage, I am very comfortable and content. I think about finding something for a buzz once in a while, but it goes away soon enough. It keeps getting better and better.

I can see the people here who have been clean for a long time and I can see how happy they are.

The people I look up to...both close in my life and others who I have never physically met, don't use drugs or alcohol to have a great life. Ultimately, that's what I want. I don't want a great night out....I want a great LIFE!
Old 09-08-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello friends,

It's more than a month for me !!!
Overally I would say ... well ... life is better!

I feel better about myself, I'm more confident, I go out, do new things, meet new people ... it's like I'm reconnecting and re finding my true self, that I had lost long time ago, or more correctly - that I have numbed due to my abusive smoking.

I still have a lot to do, lot's of detoxification, lot's of brain rewiring, I still have some psycho episodes where I worry about things I should not worry and stuff like that. I still have some chronic fatigue and etc, but .. but I feel better. I feel better about myself and my life is getting better, or at least I feel it that way.

I'm also doing better in my work, I'm actually more active and willing to work on all the things I've postponed for so long. I have lots of things to sort out, things that I should have done and sorted out long time ago, but I'm motivated to do it.

I do get some nightmares where I've smoked again and feeling awful about it, then I wake up and realize it was only a dream and feel great about it.

Sometimes the thought of smoking again and etc crosses my mind, but I don't really want to.
I also still have the fear that I might go back to it or something like that.

So things are not perfect, but they are better and I'm willing to work to make them even better!

Sometimes it might not be that easy, but it was so much harder when I was a prisoner of pot.

Thank you again for your help, support and experience, it means the world to me !!!

You're awesome !!! Keep on posting, it's really helping !!!

Thank you!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Teodor- what made you want to stop? when did you realize you had a problem? my son goes to college and does well however is a big weed smoker. stopped the booze for bit now but smokes weed about 3 to 4 times a day. he works on the weekends but does it prior to and after. spends all his money on weed and never on his girlfriend or anything else. His life goal is to move to Oregon or Colorado and get involved in the weed industry with his degree that he will have. He just wants to live a "comfortable" life. Doesn't plan on having a new car, big home or travel. Just pay the bills and smoke his weed.... Oh my, when will this end? When will his light bulb come on like yours did?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

What made me want to stop is that my life was going down and my pot smoking was out of control. It got to the point where it was not enjoyable most of the time and this is why I started in the first place - to feel "better".

I realized I have a problem long time ago, but I would just continue. There were many failed attempts to stop and etc. I too was really found of it, I was spending most of my cash on weed and not on other things (like girlfriends and etc), I also wanted to smoke and smoke, I even planned on growing and stuff like that. It was madness.

Even after I realized I've a problem I either didn't wanted to stop "right now" or was unable to do so. There's a lot of withdrawal and etc to deal with.

Your son have to experience and understand it for himself. If someone was to come and tell me how bad it is and etc, I would argue with him or just ignore him. He just have to get there by himself.

I honestly have no idea how to help you or what to say exactly. To stop pot you must be really determined to do so and to be determined you have to see it for what it is and for what is doing to your life. The irony is that you really get to see what huge impact it had on your life only when you stop and when you're able to compare and see the difference. When you're all numbed and etc all the time it's really hard to do so.

I wish all the best to you and your son and hope that he'll get himself free from his addiction.

May God be with you!