Notices

Sobriety Begins Today!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety Begins Today!

To everyone in the Marijuana Addition Forum: Thank you for sharing your stories of addiction and creating a safe community where we can share our struggles and victories. In the past, I've always tried to quit alone. Finding this site has been a Godsend. I am grateful for your advice and support.

July 1, 2015. Sobriety begins Today!

Does anyone else want to join me in this battle for sobriety? If interested, please let me know and we can do this together!

Italian
Old 07-01-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck! I'm at one week tomorrow and It's been difficult, but things are getting better. Like you I quit cold turkey, I wouldn't be able to do it any other way, for me smoking weed ALWAYS leads to smoking more weed.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you

I really appreciate your reply. Good luck to you and know that we are in this together! Please message me if you need support!!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, the same goes for you. Today is Canada Day so I have the day off work, the cravings have been pretty bad today, but my mind is now clear enough to be able to analyze these cravings and see that they have no control over me.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just stumbled across this thread while perusing the new posts. I don't smoke weed but I used to. It was always a problem for me when I did smoke. I didn't understand why I was such a maniac with it. If I had it in the house, I was smoking it. Even when I didn't want to have any, I was lighting up. The last time I bought some, I literally flushed the vast majority of what I had down the toilet because I just couldn't stand what it turned me into.

Why does weed do that to some people?? I know it's not physically addictive so why is it so psychologically addictive? I'm currently on disability for anxiety and I live in a state that has medical marijuana available and I've even thought about asking my Dr for a "script" but HOW STUPID! I can't ever go down that road, unless I have terminal cancer or something.

Anyway, I understand what you're going through and even though I haven't smoked in a number of years (don't know anyone who smokes and there is no temptation when there is no availability), I wanted to join in your thread and help you through this tough time. Maybe I can even get some insight into my own problem with it.

((((Hugs!!!!)))) You can do this, but you might have to choose your friends more carefully. You might have to make some tough decisions to make it happen. I think ykwim.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Italian!! You can do this!!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I smoked pot for 10 years, and I'm sure I was addicted to it, even when I didnt smoke every day I would obsess about the next time I would be high, it was a sad way to live. Now I'm 7 months clean and I dont miss it at all, I would say the first weeks were very difficult because it takes a while for the stuff to get out of your system, but after that, the cravings reduce a lot and everything gets better.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Major error on my part. I didn't throw the vaporizer out or destroy the medical marijuana card. (Duh!!!...one of the most important steps in quitting). My family went out of town Friday night and I used. Took this weekend's lesson and gathered up all my stuff- the vaporizers, glass storage jars, grinder, and medical card and drove to the nearest trash bin. Everything got dumped. It's all gone!!!!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I had to make it as hard as possible to smoke again, Italian.
Hoping this time is the the one

D
Old 07-04-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My MM card is scheduled to expire in 6 months and it's gone now! Without it, I can't get access. Thank you for the encouragement! 👍
Old 07-05-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've posted about this here before, creating enough distance between yourself and weed to get through a craving is key. I'm currently at the point where I need 40 seconds to talk myself out of getting high. It took me a while to get here, I'm currently 15 months without smoking, but it was worth the effort. In the beginning I publicly and rather obnoxiously broke my bong and told all my pot smoking friends that I wasn't smoking anymore. I quit drinking four years ago so my quitting "tool box" was in good shape, even though drinking and smoking weed are two very different things to quit and, truth be told, weed was one of my tools for quitting alcohol.

I loved weed and I live in an area where top quality weed is very easy to come by. Funny to say this but that might actually make it easier for me to stay off it. It's all on me, all the time, to stay clean. It's my personal responsibility. I can't say what your experience will be, Italian, but I have found joy in not smoking pot anymore. It is more subtle than quitting drinking but still a very positive and empowering thing that I did for myself. It has made me a better father, husband and a better businessman. It has put money in my pocket and further removed me from the hamster wheel of artificial rewards that I ran on for so many years.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you to all of you! If you don't mind me asking what made you want to stop smoking weed? My son who is 20 is very pro-weed and once he graduates college his goal is to move to Colorado and pursue a career in the weed business. He smokes a lot and feels there is nothing wrong with it. He has high anxiety and is on meds for that. If he doesn't smoke weed then he turns to alcohol so I don't say much because the alcohol is far worse for him.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gaffo, Thank you for posting - I really appreciate the encouragement. Congratulations on your sobriety!!! Good for you! Every time someone posts, it provides hope and encouragement. Today was awesome, as I had tons of ambition and energy!!! Got a million things accomplished and spent quality time with the family.

Hummingbird, I finally reached the conclusion that I was powerless against weed and it nearly destroyed my life. It's unrealistic to think I could maintain a constant high. (Trust me, Ive tried) I was wasting my life. Our Time on this earth is too short and precious. I'm sorry to hear about your son. Thank you for writing, I really appreciate it!!!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Writing is therapeutic, so here It goes. It's currently 11:30pm- Usually the time when I would get high. Around 12:30- 1:00am I'd get my nightly "snack" before going to sleep at 1:30am. Weed has been a huge part of my nightly routine. I'd wake exhausted and would get high all over again. It was a vicious and exhausting cycle. Happy that I threw everything away that supported my use. I am grateful for this forum. Abstinence is empowering.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How's going Italian ? We are here for you!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Teodor - thank you for checking on me! Yes, I am doing great. 5 days so far. It helps that I cannot get access since my medical card is shredded. Destroying that card was the best decision I ever made. Don't know anyone who grows or smokes, so I'm forced to work through the cravings. I feel incredibly happy to find myself again. My mind is clear-not foggy. I compare it to a rebirth. The feeling of pride is far more rewarding than getting high on weed. Please know that I value everyone here and appreciate the positive support. We can do this together. Blessings - Italian
Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Italian View Post
Teodor - thank you for checking on me! Yes, I am doing great. 5 days so far. It helps that I cannot get access since my medical card is shredded. Destroying that card was the best decision I ever made. Don't know anyone who grows or smokes, so I'm forced to work through the cravings. I feel incredibly happy to find myself again. My mind is clear-not foggy. I compare it to a rebirth. The feeling of pride is far more rewarding than getting high on weed. Please know that I value everyone here and appreciate the positive support. We can do this together. Blessings - Italian
Congrats Italian. I fell off the wagon a while back and it's been since the fourth of july for me now. I didn't want to stop, I was on here questioning why stop and fell back into the haze of being high all day. Things showed me it's not the way and still I sometimes thirst for marijuana. Just told my love that I felt like getting a blunt wrap and burning. It's not the way for me, and I support you for going through this. It's up to us.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great to hear you're doing so well, Italian!!! This is awesome! Keep on the good work and you'll pull it out.

Keep us posted and come back anytime to share whatever you're feeling - it's helping you and helping us as well, since reading other stories is very inspirational and motivating for me.
Also you get to understand that there are people feeling the same way and going trough the same stuff and others that have already made it.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Doing Great

Hi Everyone, still doing great and on day 10! the summer has been busy with mini trips and family visits, which has helped keep my mind off cravings. I've also emersed myself into reading and learning- specifically as it relates to spirituality and the journey of souls. Deep topics, necessary for personal development. Sober life is empowering! Blessings to everyone!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats. Be happy that you're on day 10. Not saying that it's going to be a picnic from here on out, because it won't, but you're well on your way over the initial hump (past the steepest part).