Notices

Carving out some head space

Old 06-28-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Carving out some head space

Hi, I'm taking the step of cutting out morning smoking. I've been smoking all day, every day for at least 10 years. Every time I have tried to quit, I have failed. I think this new goal is manageable. I have a new job starting soon, and I want to be my best for it. Thanks for listening! And thanks for all your shares.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

More power to you if you can drop it mornings. That is a good first step if it's one you can take.

I can't do that. If I got it it's going to be smoked, period. If you got this, thou, then that's awesome and I wish you the best with it.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Faith

I wish you well but I have to say I smoked daily for the best part of 30 years.

I'm not sure I would have gotten very far unless I went totally cold turkey, because getting stoned always led me to wanting to be more stoned.

Days when I had to do something and I couldn't smoke meant I smoked twice as much when I got home.

If you're going to taper, have some stringent rules and make sure you're really cutting down - no cheating.

D
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck to you, Faith. I was unable to simply cut down on my smoking and had no choice but to quit cold turkey; however, I know a few people that have no problems at all cutting down their smoking when they think it's getting to be a little much. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ady

The best way to go but really don't want to

I've been smoking for about 15 years. trying to stop seams so hard. not had any for a week and a half sounds sad but finding it very hard. smoking more and more fags. I'm in some foul moods at mo and take it out on people I love got a long way to go. will this stress go at any point or shall I just start again sound the best way to go for me any help would be great please help
Old 07-01-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ady View Post
I've been smoking for about 15 years. trying to stop seams so hard. not had any for a week and a half sounds sad but finding it very hard. smoking more and more fags. I'm in some foul moods at mo and take it out on people I love got a long way to go. will this stress go at any point or shall I just start again sound the best way to go for me any help would be great please help
Ady, please hang in there, a week and a half with no weed after 15 years is amazing progress. You have a decade more smoking than I did, but I can assure you the stress does go away, I'm only at 6 days clean right now, but I quit once before for 3 months and the differences you will notice in yourself are amazing. I know that it's hard right now, but if you stick to it you are honestly going to be blown away.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ady

Thanks for your response I just don't think it's fair on the people I love dealing with my mood swings my partner will say go get some I think this is so she gets a easy life and just wants me to happy
Old 07-01-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response I just don't think it's fair on the people I love dealing with my mood swings my partner will say go get some I think this is so she gets a easy life and just wants me to happy
I can't speak on your relationship because I don't personally know either of you; but if you honestly want to quit and your partner isn't supportive because you're too hard to deal with, that seems pretty toxic. You will find a lot of support on this site and it has been a great help for me, sometimes the people in your life just don't understand because they're not personally going through the same thing. I would have a real earnest heart-to-heart with your loved ones and tell them you need to quit and that you're going to be hard to deal with for awhile, but that things will get better. If they can't support you then you should remove them from your life, the same as marijuana.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ady

the irritability doesn't last forever - it gets better.

If it's causing problems in your relationship sometimes basic stuff like the old count to 10 before you respond can really help.

I found a gratitude list helped too - write down all the good stuff in your life - even if thats the last thing you want to do.

It's good to see what's at stake

D
Old 07-01-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ady

I smoked every day for 15 years. she is very supportive but its hard for her as she's never smoked in her life. I'm the one that's stressed and it's hard for her deal with me on an off day. It is getting better as days pass just don't want to make her feel like **** with my stress. She got me some new stuff to say well done what a star love her to bits will get there in the end I hope
Old 07-01-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ady

Originally Posted by walkersky View Post
Ady, please hang in there, a week and a half with no weed after 15 years is amazing progress. You have a decade more smoking than I did, but I can assure you the stress does go away, I'm only at 6 days clean right now, but I quit once before for 3 months and the differences you will notice in yourself are amazing. I know that it's hard right now, but if you stick to it you are honestly going to be blown away.
What made you start smoking again after 3 months off the weed that's a long time to stop then start again
Old 07-01-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

When my bf would try to quit weed, we'd get into arguments because we'd get so irritated and irritating (to put it nicely) . Inevitably one of us would end up shouting at the other to just go smoke some weed and chill out. That would be the end of quitting. It was another excuse or reason to smoke (coming from the AV). When we did quit for good we went through the rough patch and for a week or so I wasn't sure we'd make it out the other side as a couple. But then something fantastic happened. After the main withdrawal and the on again off again PAWS, we found that we had way less mood swings. We now hardly fight at all. We rarely get irritated with each other and our relationship is better than it has ever been (and that's after 11 years together!).

Weed caused so many ups and downs.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What made you start smoking again after 3 months off the weed that's a long time to stop then start again
Just ignorance honestly, I thought that I could become a casual pot smoker after quitting. Unfortunately, I was wrong.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Walkersky, I did the exact same thing after almost 3 months sober I started again, thinking I could moderate and was right back to daily smoking. Now I have to do it all over again.

You smoke now or you've stopped again after the relapse ?
Old 07-11-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teodor View Post
Walkersky, I did the exact same thing after almost 3 months sober I started again, thinking I could moderate and was right back to daily smoking. Now I have to do it all over again.

You smoke now or you've stopped again after the relapse ?
Thanks for asking, i've been clean again for 16 days, but my relapse lasted a long time, close to a year. I think it took that relapse to realize how hopelessly addicted I am, now if I think about smoking weed casually 3 months from now I will have that experience to stop myself, knowing I can't just "have one toke".

How are things going for you, Faith? any luck with cutting down on your smoking?