Notices

and they say weed isn't addictive...

Old 01-23-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

and they say weed isn't addictive...

i have been smoking on and off since i was 17. the longest i quit was a few years but only because my boyfriend at the time did not smoke. i have anxiety and love to smoke in the morning... it almost wakes me up. (as long as it is a good strain of sativa, used to having my card) lately i can not just stop at a few hits and ultimately end up wasting the day. i have also gained weight due to eating all the time. this is my first winter where it snows, and i love to just smoke and hibernate.
what has worked for everyone else? i am an alcoholic and no longer drink but do love to smoke. i went to an MA meeting and did not relate at all, nothing like i do to AA.
to make matters worse i am visiting back home (sf) in a couple days where i'll want to go to a ton of dispensaries and bring things back since i don't have them here.
in my mind it's almost like i have to...

i also have a wordpress and am looking for more people who have succeeded in quitting marijuana & alcohol. thanks.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Hi messyarts. Well, yep, been there. I started as a teenager and only stopped at 38. I kept trying to quit all those years but it was too hard for me. I did manage it finally a year ago. By that time I was totally fed up with weed. I had exhausted every avenue. I'd tried to manage my smoking, ration myself, only to fail and fail and fail. I knew it wasn't giving me many benefits and it was sapping my life force, for lack of better term. Quitting was very hard but I did it. I now think of it as one of the best and most amazing things I ever did.

The absolute biggest benefit is the lack of anxiety I have now! Turns out weed was causing it - how ironic. I wish I had quit many many years earlier!!!!!!!! If only I had known that I had nothing to be scared of and that i would NOT turn into a boring weird straight person... LOL. Strange the things we fear. Anyway, If you wanna quit, we'll be here! Good luck!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate a lot to what you've said. I was a wake and baker as well. For a while a bowl would satisfy me and get me going like you mention it does with you. That changed though. In the end I was doing multiple bong packs and/or dabs at 8 in the morning. On the weekends when I didn't have anything to do, my morning smoke would turn into a 3 hour long high chase. Made me feel like crap for the rest of the day. A week or so before I quit my roommate and I were getting ready for class. He looked at me as I packed my 4th bong pack and told me what I was doing wasn't normal. I couldn't do anything except agree.

Cold and snow are big triggers for me as well. I too loved "hibernating" in a cloud of weed smoke as the snow came down or temperature dropped below 0 outside. I also loved smoking when it was a sunny and beautiful summer day. Or a stormy rainy one. Or a nice spring day just as the trees were starting to bud. Or a crisp fall day after all the leaves had changed colors. Or when it was just gross outside and I wanted to feel better. See what I'm getting at? Everything became a trigger and still is, but I'm dealing with it. I still enjoy the seasons sober, just like most people who aren't living with their heads in the clouds do.

You truly don't have to go into the dispensaries if you don't want to. I've never lived in a state with them, but only can imagine how triggering it must be. Take care!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Originally Posted by racingthoughts View Post
I also loved smoking when it was a sunny and beautiful summer day. Or a stormy rainy one. Or a nice spring day just as the trees were starting to bud. Or a crisp fall day after all the leaves had changed colors. Or when it was just gross outside and I wanted to feel better.
LOL. Racingthoughts! So true.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem messayarts

I quit both - it took a lot of commitment to change tho - my life now is nothing like it was 8 years ago when I stopped.

I don't regret any of the changes tho - I love my self and my live and I could never say that when I was drunk and stoned.

You'll find a lot of support here
D
Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been listening to MA meetings on the phone. Enjoying them.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My friends and family were very disappointed in me when I quit smoking pot and no longer bring lots of awesome weed with me whenever I travel. Oh well. I started smoking pot all day to keep up with my wife and that's what finally made me quit. I get up early and being burnt out feeling by ten was unmanageable. I find that most of the benefits from smoking pot stick with me after I've quit but I don't have to be in the bag all the time. Does that even make any sense? If you can quit drinking you can quit pot, in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm also struggling with both. At the moment the only things that ease my anxiety are weed and alcohol, but in the end they ultimately exacerbate it.

Right now I'm just trying some guided meditations. Some of them do seem to relax me for a bit. Last night when I was feeling so bad I was dry retching I ended up just binging on 8 Out Of 10 Cats on YouTube for a few hours which helped a lot. You just need to find what works for you, that's the best advice I can give whilst I'm going through it too.