Notices

trying to quit weed, big problems

Old 01-09-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to quit weed, big problems

Having horrible mood swings, like friendship/relationship ending mood swings and terrible insomnia/nightmares. I am losing sight of how this is worth it, really don't know what to do about this. I eat healthy, workout, do anything to keep my mind off it. Nothing works. I'd be able to tough it out if it didn't mean I was going to freak out on everyone around me. One minute I'm happy the next I HATE someone.

thanks for reading my rant....
Old 01-09-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jim
as someone who came out the other side it really is worth it.

How long has it been now?

D
Old 01-10-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well i was off 4 days and then took one hit the last 3 nights in a row... Im also 13 days off opiates.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Hi Jim. 4 days is hard but well done. It was really really hard for me too. I tried to quit and failed many times. My addiction told me all sorts of reasons why I should smoke again. If I didn't listen to it then it screamed at me. I finally managed to ignore it and I quit and all the misery was more than worth it. I'm not sure what you mean about friendship/relationship ending but I think if people love you and you have a good relationship, they will probably forgive some bad moods. That stage didn't last too long for me. The nightmares and sweats only lasted a week or so. It's not long in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about you Jim but I smoked for 30 years - that's not something you can get over in 4 days.

It will take a little while longer before things level out...but it's not going to be anything like 30 years either.

The first week or two were hard - not agony but uncomfortable - for me but it got better after that - you can give it a month, yeah? see how you go?

D
Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Back, a long long time ago I quit weed, nicotine & booze for 3 months. I felt great and had loads of money, then, you guessed it, I went to the pub and got wasted!
That was 15 years ago. I gave up smoking for 9 months and plan to start stopping altogether this comming Stoptober.
I will be 2 years free of booze & I have seen how it works for plenty of people who are now ex-smokers so I think it will help to have all the help I can get seeing as nicotine is my biggest and longest addiction.
Sorry if I'm not being helpful but I agree, the more times you try to quit, the more you learn about your AV and as they say, knowledge is power....
Keep on keeping on
Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

mood swings and insomnia/nightmares told me how bad the smoking really was for my body.

you can get through this!!!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Days 4 and 5 were the worst for me personally. I didn't know it was possible to be so anxious, depressed, and want to smoke as bad as I did. As sugarbear mentioned, the withdrawal was indicative that what I had been doing wasn't healthy and helped me push through. If quitting was easy, I would have gone back a long time ago. Just remember that you'll never have to do this again as long as you don't give in. Take it a day at a time. In the early days, I just kept having faith that I'd feel a little better the next day.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You guys are right, i appreciate your responses i've just been having some really extreme mood swings and it's taking its toll.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Remember that you are also detoxing from opiates, which is really tough. Hang in there! It will get better.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A lot of us have been through this and yes, it will be lousy for a while. Try to be patient, there is always hope things will get better with the freedom from being shackled to drugs and the constant need to get more. Slip back into using and it's guaranteed misery.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I still have had no real success quitting the marijuana, the consequences just arent as obvious as other drugs which i think makes it really hard to stay motivated not to smoke.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It took me a year on being sober till I realized the consequence of smoking. I felt horrible, even though I hadn't smoked in forever. The PAWS, depression, not thinking normal, made me see that I had goofed up my brain chemistry pretty good. It's hard to see it for what it is until you get some distance away from it. I feel a lot better these days... Coming up on four years that is. The more we smoke, the longer it takes to heal.
-Ted
Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Lorax it took me a long time to really appreciate how much I screwed myself up with pot.

I kept rationalising that I needed it - 'if you had a life like mine you'd smoke too' - or that it wasn't that bad 'at least it's not smack'

but..it ruled my life and who I was was not who I wanted to be.

I know how scary it is to give it up and I know it's rough for a few weeks, but it really is worth it Jim.

I hope you decide to quit sooner rather than later

D
Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My supply will be cutoff within a week and im going to take advantage of that to put an honest effort into quitting. I just dont think i can do it with everything going on while its in front of me. I dont make the excuse that i need it and its because i have a hectic life, it just that im addicted to it and with a busy schedule i get triggered badly after i finish my commitments. In a perfect world willpower should beat that out but it just isnt realistic with me.

Thank you all!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was incredibly busy when I first stopped and entered the withdrawal period. My work load almost convinced me to put my quit off longer, but then I came to realize the following. If there's one thing that I've read over and over and have come to firmly believe, it's that there's never a perfect time to quit. If I had waited for a vacation, I would have said "I want to actually enjoy myself during this break, so I'm not going to quit now". I'll also say that if I had just waited for my supply to get cut off, I would probably have gone back as soon as it reappeared. Everyone's different, but it's a long term thing that still is challenging at times and that I need support for 4 months later. I'm not trying to scare you, it just seems to be the reality of it.

I've heard that humans actually have a willpower reserve in their brain that eventually runs out. It's why things like diets and recovery don't really work in the long term without making changes to lifestyle and outlook of the world, which is far from perfect. I might just be rambling at this point, but I feel your struggle. I think quitting can be very realistic for anyone who truly wants it. I hope you decide to make the leap soon, we'll all be here.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I see where youre coming from and can totally relate, i want to quit like hell, i am pissed everyday i see it in front of me. Im just stuck with it around me for the next few days until i move.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I hear you, Jim. I was stuck in the cycle for over 20 years. Hated the fact that I was addicted but sometimes it didn't seem that bad. Tried to quit for a day or two, found it too hard, started again. I'm not going to judge anyone because I know what it's like to be there and to think that's it's easier to put it off. I'm just saying that I eventually managed it, I feel way better, I don't miss the things I thought I'd miss, it was hard but it was worth it and I wished I had done it years and years and years ago. What I realize now is that living as a stoner was not easy at all, I just got used to the daily struggles.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I thought I would never be able to quit, even though pot wasn't working for me anymore. Then I just quit. It's not easy but if I can do it, so can you. I got a lot of advice and support from this community.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks guys your continued support means everything to me, trying to make this my first day, everythings gone, had a real rough day though.