Notices

Indecent Exposure

Old 11-25-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Indecent Exposure

Anyone still being subjected to exposure to marijuana after quitting? I just needed to vent. Actually let's vent about vents. As in, I can smell it through the vent every time my roommate smokes up, which is every single day. That used to be a selling point of this living arrangement: access at any and all times. Now it's just an indecent reminder every time I'm trying to go about my life. For the most part, during the day to day, I tune it out. But every now and again I stop and give it serious consideration and it drives me batty. Lease is up in February. Just gotta hang in there a little longer.... So close!!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope that time goes quickly actual.

I get a whiff here from time to time too. My life's moved on so much that it would be as mad as me smoking crack to smoke pot again...

but it took me a few years to get to that point.

Hang in there

D
Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

That's tough. Vent away. I pretty much avoided weed completely since I quit. I thought I would maintain my friendships with chronic smokers but temporary avoidance turned into long term. I think you're doing great. Don't forget that the thought of smoking it is different from the experience of it. As in, sometimes it might seem like a good idea but we know it's not.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean by finding it hard NOT to run into pot. I am going to sell my building next year and one of the main reasons is that daily I see pot smoked from my windows. It easier to get pot around here than milk ! Yesterday I had an old pot dealer come to my door saying he went to jail, but now he's back in business and wanted to give me his number. Even suggested he'd give me free pot for a frame I have here. Crazy - can't even get away from it staying in my own home ! I know I have to stay far away from pot or I get tempted, especially if I'm bored or under stress. There's no way I could live with a pothead around. I enjoy being clearheaded. As WB said, life just calms down more since we're not feeding the monkey mind anymore. I prefer level vs. high and low, up and down, these days. Had enough of those days ! Stay strong - Feb. will here soon - can you create something to put over the vent when you first start to smell it, thus keeping a good part of it out ? That's what I would do anyways. Good luck and we're always here for some venting - we all need to do it, at times. It's good to get things off your chest and here is a safe place to do so.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Omg I can relate so much. Being in college, weed and triggers are absolutely everywhere. I'm dodging clouds of smoke in most social settings now. I'm home now and actually need to vent a little too.

Last night I was hanging out with a friend who I haven't seen in a while. We used to smoke a fair amount back in high school when together, but he stopped once college rolled around for various reasons. Whenever we'd hang out, I'd smoke and he wouldn't. So of course I thought that there'd be no issues seeing him last night. Wrong, turns out in the past few months just as I've quit, he's started up again. As soon as I walk into his house, he pulls out cigarillos and a coffee can with easily an ounce inside. He doesn't smoke nearly as much as I did, never realized that weed could be addictive, and didn't seem to really understand why I couldn't smoke "just once" with him for old times sake. I had to tell him multiple times that I've gone through too much and absolutely wasn't smoking. Fortunately we go back way before drugs came into the picture and it ended with him respecting my decision and us just chilling without smoking. It didn't help that he's a brain cancer survivor and got back good MRI results yesterday and wanted to celebrate. I still said no. Easily the most triggered I've been since the first few weeks though.

Funny how the world puts us to the test around every corner.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

" Funny how the world puts us to the test around every corner. "

No Kidding - that's what I thought when I opened my door to find a dealer standing there. It had been so long, it took him telling me that he was just out of jail and came by to say he was back in business for me to even remember him . Wow, I thought , there's no end to the tests, which is why it's SO good for you, me and others here to have only ONE answer - NO Thanks - good for you,RT ! How else are you feeling these days ? Are you finding it easier ? How long has it been now ?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The idea that weed is harmless, non addictive, and good for whatever ails you is so ingrained right now that it's hard to get away from well intentioned people trying to get everyone stoned. I can't tell you how many people have tried to give me pot since I quit. And I can't very well be a jerk about it because they're doing it out of love and friendship.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

no, I agree, but it can be done with grace, as I'm sure you have shown.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea diddo on the good intentions. When I was smoking I was convinced that weed was a mind expanding miracle and with good intentions, wanted everyone to experience it. Then after a while when I was past the whole spiritual outlook on it, my views changed to seeing it as a less harmful way to relax than alcohol (I still think many can use it this way, I can't). Now I think about it as something that needs to be monitored closely, and if one has an addictive personality, they shouldn't go anywhere near it. Still, in the first two stages, all my intentions were good. I think the problem in our society is that one side screams "ra ra ra drugs are bad but alcohol's okay" and the other counters with "weed's harmless, smoke it all day everyday". Both are extreme and what led me to the pro-weed side at first, a side that is growing rapidly in popularity. There seems to be very little rational education on the matter. Everyone has good intentions though.

I'm doing okay happy, thanks for asking. I reached the 10 week marker on Monday night I think, I may have lost count. I know it's been a while though, because when I first quit, it was hot out and now it's snowing . I have a lot of crap going on in my life right now that's stressing me out and making me less than giddy, but I'm actually trying to tackle it instead of smoking and letting life drift by. It's definitely getting easier, except for the other night out of the blue my anxiety spiked up through the roof. Only lasted a couple hours though, and now I'm doing much better. The one thing I'm starting to tackle with a little right now are occasional longings and the thought that I could smoke once or occasionally and be fine, since now I've gone longer without smoking than I ever have since I started. I'm not gonna let that bastard AV get a chance to re-awaken though!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i can smell it sometimes because my brother still smokes. thank God he cant smoke inside the house tho. i quit almost 4 weeks ago and i still feel like crap. so frustrating. i didnt think it would be this bad or last this long. my head is killing me. my skin is breaking out. i feel like im going crazy sometimes. i almost gave in last night. i hope this gets better soon.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it will - many here can attest to that ! You're probably close to the worst at a month , so it should start to get a bit better each day, but you must being more than just not smoking . What else are you doing to support your body and mind in this change ?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

keep going, RT - you're doing AWESOME !!!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happycampers View Post
it will - many here can attest to that ! You're probably close to the worst at a month , so it should start to get a bit better each day, but you must being more than just not smoking . What else are you doing to support your body and mind in this change ?
ill walk alot. pray. I also take natural supplements- vitamins, minerals and omegas. all the 90 essential nutrients your body needs from this company youngevity. thats about it. its hard for me to leave the house right now i feel so uncomfortable. im going to be getting a therapist soon as well. any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Originally Posted by racingthoughts View Post
Omg I can relate so much. Being in college, weed and triggers are absolutely everywhere. I'm dodging clouds of smoke in most social settings now. I'm home now and actually need to vent a little too.

Last night I was hanging out with a friend who I haven't seen in a while. We used to smoke a fair amount back in high school when together, but he stopped once college rolled around for various reasons. Whenever we'd hang out, I'd smoke and he wouldn't. So of course I thought that there'd be no issues seeing him last night. Wrong, turns out in the past few months just as I've quit, he's started up again. As soon as I walk into his house, he pulls out cigarillos and a coffee can with easily an ounce inside. He doesn't smoke nearly as much as I did, never realized that weed could be addictive, and didn't seem to really understand why I couldn't smoke "just once" with him for old times sake. I had to tell him multiple times that I've gone through too much and absolutely wasn't smoking. Fortunately we go back way before drugs came into the picture and it ended with him respecting my decision and us just chilling without smoking. It didn't help that he's a brain cancer survivor and got back good MRI results yesterday and wanted to celebrate. I still said no. Easily the most triggered I've been since the first few weeks though.

Funny how the world puts us to the test around every corner.
Wow RT, how far you have come. I'm so proud of you! Amazing work!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ajohnson - have you thought of something like Marijuana Anonymous? I'd imagine there's be lots of meetings in NYC?

D
Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Originally Posted by Ajohnson View Post
i can smell it sometimes because my brother still smokes. thank God he cant smoke inside the house tho. i quit almost 4 weeks ago and i still feel like crap. so frustrating. i didnt think it would be this bad or last this long. my head is killing me. my skin is breaking out. i feel like im going crazy sometimes. i almost gave in last night. i hope this gets better soon.
Hi Ajohnson. 4 weeks is fantastic. I can relate to it taking a long time and getting worse before it gets better. I think for some of us it's just harder. I also suspect that it may be more rewarding because of the difficulty - once things start levelling out. I had decided that even if life sucked without weed, I was still going to give it up. I was ready to face life and the world head on. Plus I knew that life as a weed addict sucked in many ways and I'd never manage to be truly happy while my life revolved around getting stoned and maintaining the high - while trying to function as if I wasn't high. But guess what, life doesn't suck without weed. It just seemed like it was going to for a long time. Now I am for sure happier with myself than ever. I really don't miss it at all and I clearly see that I didn't need it for anything. It was useless. It was THE problem. But as I said, it took a long time and during that time, I just had blind faith to go on. This shall pass, life will be better.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Originally Posted by Ajohnson View Post
ill walk alot. pray. I also take natural supplements- vitamins, minerals and omegas. all the 90 essential nutrients your body needs from this company youngevity. thats about it. its hard for me to leave the house right now i feel so uncomfortable. im going to be getting a therapist soon as well. any suggestions?
I don't have too many suggestions (because I only know what I did) aside from Soberrecovery.com. I spent hours and hours on here every day. I posted a couple times a day probably. I shared my struggles and frustrations. I shared the good and bad. I read the replies and other threads. If I didn't get replies straight away, I just carried on posting because it helped either way. Just typing it out the worst of things and not be judged. It sounds like you are well on track so keep up the good work!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Oh, and I pretty much was a hermit for months. Some people find it helps to get out and keep busy but I was a near vegetable, in a cocoon waiting for my wings.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Ajohnson - have you thought of something like Marijuana Anonymous? I'd imagine there's be lots of meetings in NYC?

D
lots of meetings yes but 1 MA meeting like an hour a way from me. i dont even feel comfortable enough to leave my house most of the time. i feel like im going through the worst of it right now. i feel like im going crazy. ive been smoking weed by myself most of the time because i get paraniod when i go out and smoke. heck im still feeling paranoid and its almost been 4 weeks without . this is gonna be tough. i have social anxiety. weed used to help me with that. now it just makes it worse. a whole lot worse. been like this for years now. ive really dug myself into a rut here. ive been self medicating with weed and isolating myself for years now. i think in a couple weeks to a month ill feel more comfortable with going out. baby steps. i dunno maybe im wrong. im confused.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wackybunny View Post
Oh, and I pretty much was a hermit for months. Some people find it helps to get out and keep busy but I was a near vegetable, in a cocoon waiting for my wings.
im glad you said this cause i feel the same way right now. at least im not the only one. thanks. ive tried getting clean at rehab before and being around people while detoxing made it sooo much worse. i was kicking xanax as well at that time so it was like twice as hard. thank God ive been off that for 2 years now at least. im like a hermit right now, i refuse to leave the house till I start feeling less w/d.