Notices

How to deal with it?

Old 10-28-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to deal with it?

I have a friend who told me that my younger brother is using marijuana together
with his friends. I asked my brother if that is true and he didn't talk and just
walked away, and I think that proved that he is using marijuana. As her sister,
I don't know what to do, I don't know how to deal with it because I've never used
marijuana. So help me guys what I should do. Any suggestion or advice.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure there's much you can do to be honest. My older brother is a probation officer and definitely disapproved of me smoking, but he sure as hell wasn't going to stop me. That all has to come from within. I'm not sure of the relationship you have with him, but try to maintain it by not becoming a self-appointed police force or anything like that with your sibling. I can almost guarantee if that happens, he'll choose weed and his friends over you and will start distancing himself even more. You don't have to approve of it, but I'd think twice before snitching to your parents or trying to get him to stop on your own. I know you care about him, but he won't realize that. He'll see you as a square who doesn't understand. Best of luck!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In fact, make the times he's with you (when he's not high) as fun and pleasant as you possibly can. Do amusing things and find common interests to talk about. If you can share a good laugh together, you will plant a subliminal message that straight company can be good company, and it is perfectly possible to enjoy not being high.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

It's a difficult one. Depends on your relationship. If he looks up to you and you are close, maybe you could have an easy going chat about it and you can tell him how you feel and leave it at that. You can't stop him but sometimes it's nice to at least express an opinion if it's in a positive and constructive way. Getting angry or overly motherly about it is more likely to create a divide (I would guess). I know I would have lied about it if anyone had put me in an uncomfortable position.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just be there for him, and be a sister to him; but racingthoughts gave you some good advice not to be too overbearing or constantly bring up how you don't like him smoking, etc.

You can't get him to stop smoking herb since unless he wants to, he's not going to.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hm I get it, so I just have to be like natural as a sister with him, right?. But I couldn't
prevent myself from thinking that he's using weed and might lead to addiction to it. But I think you're all right, we might be more distant with each other if I'll get angry and try to forcibly stop him. We're not that close but I'm being a sister to him, so I guess I'll try what you have said and make more time together. Thanks to all of you guys, wish me luck.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself first. Decide what is acceptable to you and what is not. Then set some clear boundaries with him. For example, you could say "I'd rather you be honest with me than keep a secret, since you're my brother and we love and support each other. However, there are some things I am not cool with. Please do not (ask me for money, ask me to lie to our parents, get high in my car, whatever). Let him know that you love and support him and will be there for him if he needs you.

I think you can voice that you don't like it, but nagging, policing, bargaining, being passive aggressive, those are all natural reactions but they will probably not help and will only push him away.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Marijuana is a very distinct drug and it is a mistake to mix it up with coke, meth, heroin, or even alcohol. It is also a mistake to treat it as harmless, I'm here to tell you. It would be worth your while to do some research. Maybe you could even get your brother involved. Good luck.