Notices

Day 1 of Climbing the Mountain

Old 09-27-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

If I have even a few beers I'll start to want marijuana again. I don't have to smoke to renew the obsession, I can drink too with the same result. If I have one, I want the other, it goes the other way too, if I smoke, then I'll want to drink. I had to give up both permanently.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Another miserable day. Anxiety, depression, and lethargy. Even have had shakes too. It's so weird to feel lost and unlike yourself for almost two weeks. I want this to end so bad, but feel like I'm still a long way away. Praying that tomorrow's better.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Aw, that sucks. I read your posts and it takes me back to a time when I was writing very similar things. Good days, bad days, down right miserable days, ecstatic days, anxious days, never predictable. I'd be fine for a while and think it was over and then another couple bad days. Gradually they faded away though and now, at almost at 7 months, those days of misery are a distant memory, a blip of time in the past. I thank myself almost every day.

In my opinion, this hard work you are putting into quitting is at least as important as the work you are putting into school, if not more so. And you are doing fantastic! You are passing the AV tests with flying colours.

I did avoid alcohol when quitting because I was genuinely frightened of transferring addiction. Also I read that any mind altering substance disrupts the brain's rewiring/recovering process. Have you read about PAWS?
Old 09-28-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would stay away from booze too - it hit the same buttons as pot for me - if I was drinking I wanted to be high and vice versa.

I'm sorry it's so rough for you RT. Have you considered seeing a Dr at all?

What are you doing to fill your days and nights right now?

D
Old 09-29-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yea I haven't seen a doctor at all, but doesn't sound like a bad idea. Tried to see a counselor at my school, but it was a joke and I didn't feel as though I was taken seriously. Just been doing work and exercising, don't have much time or energy for much else. Last night I bought a bottle of L-Theanine because I heard it's helpful for anxiety/the quitting process. Actually is helping a bit today. Thanks for the support guys! BTW, I have read about PAWS but I wasn't sure if I'm even far enough long to be experiencing it and not just initial withdrawal. I'll be at two weeks at midnight!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Yay two weeks!!! It's a shame that you weren't taken seriously by the counselor. I am amazed by how many people do not take weed addiction seriously and yet it is all around. Hopefully you can see a good doctor. Perhaps the reason I didn't suggest it before is because I got so used to not having that option. Many people where I live can't even get a doctor and there are no walk-in clinics. There's a massive shortage. My only choice (for 6 years) was ER until I finally got "adopted" by a doc in ER when I went in with something that absolutely had to be followed up with. Now I have one it still takes 2 weeks to get in to see him. My bf still does not have one. I remember the days of doctor shopping, when I could try them out until I found one I liked/trusted with my health. Anyway... enough of my rant, if you have access to a doctor, take advantage and go see them.

Oh, and I only mentioned PAWS because I found it extremely helpful when someone mentioned it to me and it's good to be prepared and not surprised (like I was).
Old 09-30-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on two weeks RT

D
Old 10-02-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

How you doing today?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Solid other than a little irritability here and there. The L-Theanine I bought honestly seems to be working miracles. Unlike my first two weeks, I have almost zero paralyzingly anxiety. I might just be getting better but idk. In terms of cravings, it's like when I was back in high school before I smoked daily. Weed sounds nice, but I don't have the mad urge to smoke it. Thanks for checking in! Still going strong!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

That's so great! Nice to hear you're doing well. Look at you go. If I could wish anything for you it would be that (in a few months) you are as happy about quitting as I am. I just feel so wonderful about it that I wish everyone the same feeling. Maybe the more miserable the quit, the more rewarding the freedom? Idk, just being silly, I'm sure it's different for everyone. But you know how when you have a bad flu and get better, feeling just "normal" again feels like a million bucks? Like that.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

What an inspiring thread. Thanks racingthoughts for sharing and wackbybunny for the support.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Well it's officially 3 weeks since the last time I exhaled weed smoke, had a coughing fit, and questioned whether my life was going down the toilet or not. This week has been so much better than the first two it's kinda indescribable. With that being said, I did have a little craving/anxiety/depression episode earlier but it was mild compared to what I've been through and only lasted a couple hours. I just laughed at it. Really though guys, you have all been unreal, especially you wackybunny. Ready to keep going and never look back!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Yay! So glad to hear. You've made it through the hardest part. Now it's just remembering what you had to go through to get here so that you don't go backwards. I wonder what the biggest benefits will be for you. What are some that stand out so far?

I think that for me there is no going back. Just the other day I was out hiking with friends and one of them had a toke. In the early days my focus would have been totally on them smoking, the sound, the smell, all of that. This time I barely noticed and forgot it even happened until my bf asked me later if there was weed. It's like it wasn't even worth my attention.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats RT
Old 10-10-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

So I came home to my parent's this weekend since I have a long weekend away from school. I knew very well what was hidden inside the upstairs crawl space. After my parents had gone to bed I ventured there and retrieved the half-smoked joint and gram of weed I had saved for myself last time I was home (couple months ago). Joint was still perfectly intact, begging to be lit. It was quiet and peaceful in the house and I thought of how nice it'd be to lay stoned on the fuzzy carpet like I used to. So I picked up the joint and the rest of the weed and you know what I did??

I threw it all in the toilet and flushed it with a smile.

It was a moment of temptation but not nearly as hard to do as flushing my stash at school at the beginning of my quit. Yay for small victories I guess.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Awesome job,RT !!! You've really come a LONG ways in such a short period - keep it up !!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Wow. That's a powerful message you sent yourself. You had it. You could have smoked it and no-one would know. But you chose to get rid of it. What a great choice.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Just letting you know I'm off on holiday for a couple weeks and won't be around here. It really sounds like you're off and running with the new lifestyle RT. That's great. Take care of yourselves everyone!
WB
Old 10-13-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bon voyage WB

D
Old 10-16-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by racingthoughts View Post
So I came home to my parent's this weekend since I have a long weekend away from school. I knew very well what was hidden inside the upstairs crawl space. After my parents had gone to bed I ventured there and retrieved the half-smoked joint and gram of weed I had saved for myself last time I was home (couple months ago). Joint was still perfectly intact, begging to be lit. It was quiet and peaceful in the house and I thought of how nice it'd be to lay stoned on the fuzzy carpet like I used to. So I picked up the joint and the rest of the weed and you know what I did??

I threw it all in the toilet and flushed it with a smile.

It was a moment of temptation but not nearly as hard to do as flushing my stash at school at the beginning of my quit. Yay for small victories I guess.
There's nothing small about this victory.