Notices

Caved on Wednesday

Old 09-07-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caved on Wednesday

Hi All,

So on Wednesday I was roughly 9 days without smoking when the want for a good night's sleep got too strong, or rather I was too weak.

I got half an ounce and using my big bowl started smoking at about 10... 6 hours later I was still smoking and not asleep. This happened more or less during all non-work hours until yesterday when I had enough and realised it's no longer helping me sleep at all.

I flushed most down the toilet and smoked the rest just for the hell of it to be honest.

The thing is... whilst I don't want to smoke daily anymore I still really enjoy smoking... I always have a good night when I have a couple bowls and just play games or watch documentaries, particularly if someone joins me. Furthermore, I've had stomach issues since I was a teenager and smoking cures my cramps instantly when doctors just tell me to ride it out, though I don't get those as much these days.

Basically, I know that I still WANT to smoke, I don't want to give it up entirely for the rest of my life. With drinking, I can enjoy it in moderation and not have to do it daily so I don't feel the need to give it up forever. With weed, when it's in my house it's constantly high times from the moment I get home from work until about 4am when I manage to finally doze off. This amount of smoking kills my motivation and affects my life negatively, THAT is the part I want to quit forever, but I just can't seem to leave the stuff alone when I have it (even with pills I could leave them alone entirely until withdrawals set in... with weed it's just one hit then an hour later another and so on).

I haven't tried vaporising or edibles yet which I want to try... it's as though there is something about smoking that makes it very interesting for me, like getting into a hobby, I find myself reading all about it and wanting to try things...

To be honest I don't really have a questions, I just wanted to get that off my chest. If anyone has any thoughts or comments they are much appreciated.

Debate going on in my head as to whether to call my guy, then go buy a vaporiser, try it and cross it off my to do list, or whether that's an AV talking and I should just stay away.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried all of that - no matter how I ingested it, it still ruled my life. I had no off switch.

I did have a few instances to call on when I 'smoked like a gentleman' tho - a handful of times over 30 years.

Thats the real grip of addiction for me...you get to think those aberrations, those happy accidents, can somehow become the norm...if only you could find out how....

I never found out how, mainly cos I don't think there is a way to control my appetites for a guy like me - except not to smoke at all.

D
Old 09-07-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear ya and I fear I may be the same, Dee. I think the next month or so will really help me decide whether I have the willpower to be a recreational smoker, or whether i need to just stop entirely.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I tried to ration myself SO MANY times. LOL. It is quite funny to look back and remember all the things I did thinking they would work for me. I used to divide my stash up and put it in those pill containers labelled Mon, Tues, Wed etc. Each day I'd only smoke what was allowed. For about four days. Then it was back to normal. Next thing would be no smoking before 8pm. Lasted about one day. Next was, each time I run out I will go two days before buying more. Haha, as if. I could not give up on it forever because weed felt like such a nice thing which surely I deserved to enjoy now and then. If only I could just do it now and then.

Honestly though, being totally honest here, when I did finally give it up (20+ years later) I found that all the things I got from weed I can get without it. I am much more relaxed and actually enjoy hobbies more. This was a total shock to me. I can't say it'll be the same for others but I really hope so. I feel so darned lucky to have realized this now and not wasted any more time bargaining and failing.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I struggled through these issues, too. I thought I was enjoying it but it really wasn't doing anything for me and I was a complete slave to it. If it was in my house, I would smoke til it's gone (just one more bowl) or I pass out, and if I was low or out, I was in full crisis mode.

I did it every way and everywhere and nothing really new or earth-shattering happens with vaporizing or edibles or whatever. More of the same, for me. How much of your life do you want to invest in getting high, playing games, and watching documentaries? For me, it was 20 years I'll never get back.

Keep posting, I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't get "high" anymore, so why waste another even one more day ? Eventually, it stops working - it took me 30 years. Sure I wish I had realized and woke up sooner, but it is as it is and I don't think there are any mistakes, just experiences, some good and some not so good. That's Life and with all those past experiences, I am where I am now and it's alright, so NO mistake. It's now " what do I want to realize in my final third act ? " .
Old 09-14-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Happy... I think one of the reasons I smoke so much is because the stuff here is so ridiculously weak. I end up grinding it up, freezing it, and making heaps of kief out of it just to try and get a decent high, but with this stuff the more you smoke the crappier you feel in your lungs and throat but the weak high stays the same (and just gives you bud head in the morning).

Worst of all, it doesn't help me sleep at all... Maybe it's a Sativa strain or maybe it's just crappy quality product (but some of the strongest you can get in HK).

I tried a lot of what I wanted to do over the past week, bought a vape - meh, nothing special, but definitely easier to smoke. No massive revelations in terms of how to control my smoking, so now it's just time to stop.

I'm out of gear and don't plan to buy anymore but I have a good mate from home coming to stay with me for a couple days, he may want to have a smoke. If he does, he can pay for it and keep the leftovers.

So, today begins my journey of not being an at-home-smoker. I won't lie, it will be hard and if the situation should arise that I can have a smoke at a party or something then I may do so, but the challenge is to not be a regular/daily smoker anymore.

Fingers crossed.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Oh that bad weed you get some places. Harsh on the throat and barely worth it. I've tried to vape, don't like it myself. Half the fun for me was the ritual. Good to hear you're trying the not at home thing. I just hope you don't go through the withdrawals and such only to smoke some at a party and start up again. I've done that like a hundred times. Mind you, I only managed to go a day or two before conveniently finding myself at a party or just a friend's where there was weed. Funny the motivation I found to go out if I knew weed would be there. I'm not going to tell you it's wrong to smoke now and then, that's your choice obviously, I'm just sharing my experience. I really hope I don't smoke it on a whim some time. After all I went through to be free of it!!! I don't think I will but it's only been six months so I have to remind myself to keep my guard. No doubt in my mind it would be an easy slide down.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember smoking leaf and tip too - insane amounts - to try and get a high. All I got was a headache and bronchitis.

Addiction really is ridiculous

It took a lot for me to get to the point where I knew I didn't want to smoke anymore no matter what.

I hope both you guys are there

D
Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was dx'd with colitis when I quit smoking pot back in college. I was miserable for months upon months taking different medications etc. So I quit for probably over a year and then had enough with various meds and started smoking again. My stomach would only be ok if I smoked. Then I read more into a gluten free diet and went on that. LOOOOOONG story short, I have now stopped for 3 months and my stomach is just fine and dandy without the pot.

Have you looked into food being the main culprit of your stomach problems?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is just my experience but for me, I can't ever have a toke, a cig, or a drink again, because I am addicted to these things. I even avoid them in my dreams. I would avoid parties with weed for now. Get a chunk of real sober time in and it will be easier. I am constantly surrounded by the best pot in the world now (and cig smoking power drinkers too) and it's never a problem. Well, actually drunk/stoned people can be annoying but that's really their problem, not mine. Set your mind to it, surf through the cravings and urges. I ate candy when I quit drinking and smoking, then tapered off of that but maybe for you it's carrot sticks or tea. Whatever, the important thing is to keep at it and have faith that will get easier, because it will and you will feel so proud of yourself. Good luck!