SO Disheartening

Old 10-08-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SO Disheartening

Went to another Alanon meeting. Since my many times of going on and off one gets to recognize the "leaders" of the group- those who have been there for years. As we had the meeting, the one man made the comment that his son has relapsed again and in a treatment facility for alcohol abuse. After the meeting, I approached him to talk to for support. He told me how this is the 3rd time his son was in treatment. The first time it was a 4 month stay at one of the best treatment facility in the country, then went to a sober living place, was good for a year, relapsed, went back to the sober living, worked, went to school, etc. Now has relapsed again and is back in the "best treatment facility" for a month long stay...... First ? is "If this is the best treatment facility, then why does he keep relapsing". 2ndly, my cousin was also in this same treatment facility for drug use and relapsed but he was only there for a month. Anyway. HOW DOES A FAMILY AFFORD THIS? This facility does NOT take insurance. IT cost my cousins parents +$30,000 and this man at the meeting told me his sons 4 month stay was $87,000 plus now again this month will be $37,000.... There is no way average people can afford this type of stay and then to have them relapse again and again...
I am sorry for being a negative nanny, but I know I can't afford it that. Hopefully, if my son ever agrees to in patient, it will be covered by insurance.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hi...

Wow...that is a lot of money. The only one that can stop an addict....is the addict...treatment helps...but...the cure comes from within...God for me...

Angels walk among us. If a person feels like they have tried everything...try getting saved and pray...use the steps...

Anyway...that is why I believe alcohol is a govt. Sanctioned addictive drug.

It causes brain damage that in some cases is irreversible. Compulsive craving..Anxiety. .etc.

The govt. Gets money from the first beer, on through the treatment, the vodka on the relapses, etc etc...

Early education is needed.

The internet saved me from my rabbit hole.