From beer to meth?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question From beer to meth?

Is it unusual for someone who drinks beer everyday to suddenly stop due to starting meth use I've read that this is pretty common once they get on meth ?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My son claims meth "cured" his alcoholism. That is how he minimalizes and justifies his meth use. The truth is......he simply switched seats on the Titanic.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
My son claims meth "cured" his alcoholism. That is how he minimalizes and justifies his meth use. The truth is......he simply switched seats on the Titanic.
I have never heard it so well said, Kindeyes. Yes, my son too just traded one drug for another and claimed himself cured...until the new drug took him down or took him back to his drug of choice.

Trading seats on the Titanic about sums it up.

Hugs
Old 07-29-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would agree that it a great metaphor, my brother swapped one drug for another and the end result is no better.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Loved that metaphor Kindeyes! I like when I read a post and it makes me smile. When I first attended Alanon, nearly a quarter century ago, I hid in the hallway and cried before I finally made it into the room. As the meeting progressed I was amazed and honestly a little appalled that they could laugh about their circumstances and mostly about how they dealt with it. However, as time went by I found how healthy it is to laugh. One mom on SR., when asked what she would do differently, said she would use a stun gun on her son every time he came home drunk or high. Now that made me laugh out loud. I have cried rivers of tears these past 20+++ years and appreciate a good laugh to help me cope. Thanks Kindeyes. You did it for me today.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad that made you smile today!

I was the same years ago. I had a pretty severe case of the poor me syndrome, martyrdom, tears galor, and enabling (along with a multitude of other unattractive attributes). One of the most important things I learned to do is to laugh at myself. There is much to chuckle about!

I have many friends in recovery from addiction. I always admire their ability to laugh. They inspire me.

Keep laughing!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am trying to figure out if my AH has done the same thing. We are seperated but I know he has cut way back on the beer and has used meth before. He now hardly ever sleeps and has lost alot of weight. His house is filthy and he just doesn't seem to care. Most of his friends use and are in and out during the night. He works in his garage 24/7. I know he will deny it but I know something is going on with him.........