SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/narcotics-addiction-12-step-support/)
-   -   Everyday Quotes At Random From The NA Basic Text! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/narcotics-addiction-12-step-support/97927-everyday-quotes-random-na-basic-text.html)

Luckyv2 07-10-2006 06:47 PM

Everyday Quotes At Random From The NA Basic Text!

A friend of mine gave me this idea and he said that I could start one and I do take suggestion today :c005: so without any prolonging here is our first Random Quote of the day. Is what I will be doing is opening the Basic Text, and strolling my finger down Let's see how this goes!

Page 38

Listening carefully to other member share their experience regarding this step can relieve any confusion that we may have about writing our list. Also, our sponsors may share with us how Step Eight worked for them. Asking a question during a meeting can give us the benefit of group conscience.

The Eighth Step offers a big change from a life dominated by guilt and remorse. Our futures are changed, because we don't have to avoid those who we have harmed. As a result of this step, we receive a new freedom that can end isolation. As we realize our need to be forgiven, we tent o be more forgiving. At least, we know that we are no longer intentionally making life miserable for people.

Luckyv2 07-11-2006 04:56 AM

NA Basic Text Personal Story Page 128

I have found that you are just like me. I am no longer better than or less than. I feel a real love and camaraderie in the N.A. Fellowship. My great spiritual awakening has been that I am an ordinary addict. I am not unique. There are still those who refuse to join us and take the path that we have chosen, because they feel that they are unique. The may die. But may God bless them too.
This really hits home for me today. For the longest time I didn't feel that anyone could understand that I was different. Now today, I know that I am not different, that many things of my past are things that others have done. So today even though I may be unique in my own way, I am not unique.

aloneagainor 07-11-2006 09:41 AM

I think that when people think they're unique, they're providing themselves the excuse to believe that "no-one understands me, I'm so alone" and that is the perfect set-up for retreat into use. It's that isolating mindset that separates us from being able to relate, so we shut others out, stop listening to what others have to say, and rely exclusively on our own best thinking.

Luckyv2 07-11-2006 01:19 PM

This was a readying that I get from July 4th.

You're one of a kind
Move away from the need to compare yourself to others. And you will move rapidly toward higher and higher levels of effectiveness and fulfillment.
Many of the things you see as limitations and deficiencies in your own life are not really limitations at all. They're created in your imagination when you compare yourself to others.

Don't waste your time focusing on what others have that you don't have. Instead, put your time and energy into making the most of the unique and valuable knowledge, skills and resources that you do have available to you.

Don't allow your energy to be drained away by worrying about what others will think. Simply be your authentic best, and keep in mind that what anyone else thinks about you is not your concern.

It's great when you can learn from others, find joy in being with others, and cooperate with others to achieve mutually beneficial results. Just don't allow your life to become bogged down by constantly comparing its details with the lives of those around you.

You are one of a kind. The more completely you celebrate and fulfill that reality, the more satisfying and rewarding life will be.

-- Ralph Marston

Luckyv2 07-12-2006 03:56 AM

NA Basic Text Page 39

Timing is an essential part of this step. We should make amends when the opportunity presents itself, except when to do so will cause more harm. Sometimes we cannot actually make the amends; it is neither possible nor practical. In some cases, amends may be beyond our means. We find that willingness can serve in the place of action where we are unable to contact the person that we have harmed. However, we should never fail to contact anyone because of embarrassment, fear or procrastination.
From what I have been taught you should always review an amends with a sponsor before acting on it.

Kahlia 07-12-2006 03:10 PM

Back at it AGAIN......

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
I think that when people think they're unique, they're providing themselves the excuse to believe that "no-one understands me, I'm so alone" and that is the perfect set-up for retreat into use. It's that isolating mindset that separates us from being able to relate, so we shut others out, stop listening to what others have to say, and rely exclusively on our own best thinking.

I could NOT have said that ANY better than you did...arrogance is a dance and a very dangerous one....I hope the music stops soon......Kahlia

Luckyv2 07-13-2006 06:07 AM

NA Basic Text Page 191 "Recovery is my Responsiblity"

I don't blame doctors or anyone else for my addiction, for my addictive personality is, and has always been, a part of me. Certain individuals in the mental health and physical health profession who should know better did contribute to my addiction and allowed it to continue. I know that recovery is my responsibility, with the help of God. I manipulated the medical profession, and not knowing what else to do, they obliged with prescription for symptoms, as they are so trained. I share this tragedy with too many others. Ironically, it was a psychologist that guided me into NA and another Twelve Step Program. She had given up on me, and as a last resort, insisted that I attend those meetings. I went and have been clean since May, 1980.

cain11 07-13-2006 07:00 AM

Not sure if it's in the basic text, but someone said this to me and it gave me chills, "It doesn't matter how you got here...you got here."

Luckyv2 07-14-2006 04:40 AM

NA Basic Text PG 73

"We have heard the phrase "principles before personalities" so often that it is like a cliche. While we may disagree as individuals, the spiritual principle of anonymity makes us all equal as members of the group. No member is greater or lesser than any other member. The drive for personal gain in the areas of sex, property and social position, which brought so much pain in the past, falls by the wayside if we adhere to the principle of anonymity. Anonymity is one of the basic elements of our recovery and it pervades our Traditions and our Fellowship. It protects us from our own defects of character and renders personalities and their differences powerless. Anonymity is action makes it impossible for personalities to come before principles.

aloneagainor 07-14-2006 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by luckyv2
While we may disagree as individuals, the spiritual principle of anonymity makes us all equal as members of the group. No member is greater or lesser than any other member. Anonymity...protects us from our own defects of character and renders personalities and their differences powerless. Anonymity is action makes it impossible for personalities to come before principles.

according to Websters--

Principle: a guiding sense of the requirements and obligations of right conduct

Ego: the "I" or self. Egotism, self-importance.

Anonymity makes it possible for us to put away ego and focus on the core issue of addiction and recovery. NA and SR both provide US with a place where we need not concern ourselves with how we look to others or how we present our own self. Instead, we can be REAL here, honest, without judgment, we are all equals when personalities and egos are removed.

Humility: the quality or state of being humble; modest opinion of one's own importance or rank.

Luckyv2 07-15-2006 04:30 AM

NA Basic Text Page 62&63

The choice of membership rests with the individual. We feel that the ideal state for our Fellowship exists when addicts can come freely and openly to an NA Meeting, whenever and wherever they choose, and leave just as freely. We realize that recovery is a reality and that life without drugs is better than we ever imagined. We open our doors to other addicts, hoping that they can find what we have found. But we know that only those who have a desire to stop using and want what we have to offer will join us in our way of life.

Luckyv2 07-16-2006 04:55 AM

NA Basic Text Pg 39

Timing is an essential part of this step. We should make amends when the opportunity presents itself, except when to do so will cause more harm. Sometimes we cannot actually make the amends; it is neither possible nor practical. In some cases, amends may be beyond our means. We find that willingness can serve in the place of action where we are unable to contact the person that we have harmed. However, we should never fail to contact anyone because of embarrassment, fear or procrastination.

Luckyv2 07-17-2006 05:11 AM

Page 86 NA Basic Text "We Do RECOVER"

"Recovery begins with surrender. From that point, each of us is reminded that a day clean is a day won. In Narcotics Anonymous our attitudes, thoughts and reactions change. We come to realize that we are not alien and begin to understand and accept who we are.

As long as there have been people, addiction has existed. For us, addiction is an obsession to use the drugs that are destroying us, followed by a compulsion that forces us to continue. coomplete abstinence is the foundation for our new way of life."

Luckyv2 07-18-2006 04:50 AM

NA Basic Text Page 141 Story "I Qualify"

After only six months of taking barbiturates daily. I remember going through my first withdrawal experience when I couldn't get anything . After that week, I thought I'd be starting over again. Little did I know. By this time, I had stopped drinking.

Luckyv2 07-19-2006 06:10 AM

NA Basic Text Pg 30 "How It Works"

We sit down with paper and pen and ask for our God's help in revealing the defects that are causing pain and suffering. We pray for the courage to be fearless and thorough and that this inventory may help us to put our lives in order. When we pray and take action's it always goes better for us.
How true this is! When we do the action part we realize that life is good, and we then can look the world in the eye. It helps so much to be a part of rather than being a part from. By doing the forth step we find out that we are not as unique as we always thought that we were, and that now we have a chance with the steps to live a life that is worth living.

Luckyv2 07-20-2006 05:28 AM

N.A. Basic Text-Page 63-The Twelve Traditions of N.A.

"Each Group should be autonomous except in matters affectin other groups or N.A. as a whole."

The autonomy of our groups is necessary for our survival. A dictionary defines autonomous as "having the right or power of self-government...undertaken or carried on without outside control." This means our groups are self-governing, and not subject to outside control. Every group has had to stand and grow on its own.

Luckyv2 07-21-2006 03:46 AM

N.A. Basic Text-Page 63-The Twelve Traditions of N.A.

When I opened up the book without looking and did my close eye thing. The same reading came up that was for yesterday, same page, same paragraph. God works in a misterious way.

Love Vic

Luckyv2 07-22-2006 06:57 AM

N.A. Basic Text pg. 25

"Our concept of God comes from dogma but from what we believe and from what works for us. Many of us understand God to be simply whatever force keeps us clean. The right to God of your understanding is total and without any catches. Because we have this right, it is necessary to be honest about our belief if we are to grow spiritually.''
This hit me hard today, because this is where I find the spiritual part of the program. No one can tell us we are wrong or right, we have our own choice. So many times we hear people portraying that it is there way or the highway ie sponsors etc. but the program teaches us that WE have to find our own path and to live the program to the best of OUR ability, not to someone else's ability. :)

aloneagainor 07-22-2006 07:26 AM

Yep, just like you wrote at the "Language of the Heart" thread at Newcomers:

maybe IT IS TIME TO JUST BE THE PERSON THAT YOU WANT TO BE...we don't have to be people pleasers any more, we don't have to have someone else brand of religion, heck we don't have to have religion.

I hear you. It works for me.

Luckyv2 07-23-2006 07:08 AM

N.A. Basic Text page 43 ''How It Works"

The nature of our belief will determine the manner of our prayers and meditations. We need only make sure that we have a system of belief that works for us. Results count in recovery. As has been noted elsewhere, our prayers seemed to work as soon as we entered the Program of Narcotics Anonymous and we surrendered to our disease. The conscious contact described in this step is the direct result of living the steps. We use this step to improve and maintain our spiritual condition.
It just seems that most of these lately and most of the talk that I have been encountering has a great deal to do with spirituality. That is so awesome for me and others for this is truly the part of any program that makes it or breaks it.