Notices

Everyday Quotes At Random From The NA Basic Text!

Old 07-23-2006, 07:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It is our perceptions that shape our reality. They determine who we are, how we act and react, what we will be. It all arises from the Spirit within.

We are required to cease looking at objects as events apart from ourselves, And to know them at their source - which is our perceiving of them.
--Open Secret by Wei Wu Wei
Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text age 41 "How It Works"

"Step Ten frees us from the wreckage of our present. If we do not stay aware of our defects, they can drive us into a corner that we can't get out of clean.

One of the first things we learn in Narcotics Anonymous is that if we use, we lose. By the same token, we won't experience as much pain if we can avoid the things that cause us pain. continuing to take personal inventory means that we form a habit of looking at ours3elves, our actions, attitudes and relationships on a regular basis."
Thank God for the Steps of freedom
Old 07-25-2006, 05:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 26 "How It Works"

"We have surrendered our will and our lives to the care of a Higher Power greater than ours3elves. If we are thorough and sincere, we will notice a change for the better. Our fears are lessened and faith begins to grow as we learn the true meaning of surrender. We are no longer fighting fear, anger guilt, self pity or depression. We realize that the Power, that brought us to this program is still with us and will continue to guide us if we allow it. We are slowly beginning to lose the paralyzing fear of hopelessness. The proof of this step is shown in the way we live."
This has hit me hard this morning, for the times that I have always gotten clean I have been a real mess in my head. This time around it hasn't been near as bad and also I can see a huge change going on inside of my heart. I am so grateful that God is with me and in me and also that He has given me a real chance at happiness, and service to others.

Love Vic
Old 07-26-2006, 05:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 47 "How It Works"

We know that whatever the day brings. God has given us everything we need for our spiritual well-being. It is all right for us to admit powerlessness, because God is powerful enough to help us stay clean and to enjoy spiritual progress God is helping us to get our house in order.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 86 "We do Recover"

Recovery begins with surrender. From that point, each of us is reminded that a day clean is a day won. In Narcotics Anonymous our attitudes, thoughts and reactions change. We come to realize that we are not alien and begin to understand and accept who we are.

as long as there have been people, addiction has existed. For us, addiction is an obsession to use the drugs that are destroying us, followed by a compulsion that forces us to continue. Complete abstinence is the foundation of our new way of life.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 108 "A Gift Called Life"

I lived in Lancaster, Pennsylvania at the time. One day, the man I got my drugs from asked if I would be willing to take a chance and go to Puerto Rico with him to purchase some heroin. My answer was, "Sure, why not!" We could have been busted while getting on the plane to come back home. I brought some heroin with me and wrapped it in foil. When we went through airline screening procedures, they didn't check me. I got away that time; I was lucky., We came back , and my luck ran out. I got busted for a series of crimes consisting of six felonies. This was my first time in jail, and I was afraid of all the things that I haeard from the streets. A lot of it was true, and some of it wasn't. That didn't make me any less afraid. I stayed for one week and was bailed out. Two months later, I got busted for possession of one ounce of heroin and went back to jail. Again, I stayed for one week and was bailed out. Only two weeks later, I got busted again for bereaking into someone's house in broad daylight. In order to supply my habit I had started to rip of everyone, my family, m y friends, and strangers. I knew I was going to jail this time, so I just gave up. My sentence was two separate terms, each eleven and a half to twenty-three months in jail. I spent thirteen months in jail and go t out on early parole.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great stuff Vic. I think its these random snippets from the lliterature that have helped me a lot. I get a bunch of good stuff from step study groups, but it's a lot of verbage for my brain to digest all at once. Sometimes 2 or 3 sentences is a perfect [portion i can take with me and nibble on all day.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 73 "The Twelve Traditions of Narcotics Anonymous"

We have heard the phrase "principles before personalities" so often that it is like a cliche. While we may disagree as individuals, the spiritual principle of anonymity makes us all equal as member of the group. No member is greater or lesser than any other member. The drive for personal gain in the areas of sex property and social position, which brought so much pain in the past, fall by the wayside if we adhere to the principles of anonymit. Anonymity is one off the basic elements of our recovery and it pervades our Traditions, and our Fellowship. It protects us from our own defects of character and renders personalities and their differences powerless. Anonymity in action makes it impossible for personalities to come before principle.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Anonymity is one off the basic elements of our recovery and it pervades our Traditions, and our Fellowship. It protects us from our own defects of character and renders personalities and their differences powerless.
I'm still learning ( sometimes through squirmimg) new applications to this principle
Old 07-29-2006, 01:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckyv2
Anonymity is one off the basic elements of our recovery and it pervades our Traditions, and our Fellowship. It protects us from our own defects of character and renders personalities and their differences powerless. Anonymity in action makes it impossible for personalities to come before principle. N.A. Basic Text Page 73 "The Twelve Traditions of Narcotics Anonymous"
Anonymity is a HUGE element in why SR works so well for me. I can practice complete HONESTY here, fearlessly. And so I do. Then take what I'm seeing/ discovering/ learning here and apply it to the rest of my life.

Yes, like Gooch said, in small bits and pieces...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 60 "The Twelve Traditions of Narcotics Anonymous"

We must live and work together as a group to ensure that in a storm our ship does not sink and our members do not perish. With faith in a Power greater than ourselves, hard work, and unity we will survive and continue to carry the message to the addict who still suffers.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text...Page 120..."An Indian Without A Tribe."

"I'll always be grateful to N.A. for taking me from the depths of my addiction and giving me life. A life that is full of love and true concern for others. These are feelings that I never thought could be possible for me. As long as I take it easy and make a commitment with my Higher Power to do the best I can. I know I will be taken care of today. I've come to believe in miracles for I am one."
Old 08-02-2006, 04:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 28 "How It Works"

We must be done with the past, not cling to it. We want to look our past in the face, see it for what it really was and release it so we can live today. The past, for most of us, has been a ghost in the closet. We have been afraid to open that closet for fear of what that ghost may do to us. We do not have to look at the past alone. Our wills and our lives are now in the hands of our Higher Power.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 22 "How It Works"

When we admit our powerlessness and inability to manage our own lives, we open the door for a Power greater than ourselves to help us. it is not where we were that counts, but where we are going.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 118 "An Indian Without A Tribe"

Loneliness is something that I've lived with for years, from the time I was a child, people always let me know that I was different. This was fun for a while. In later years, my feeling of being different was one of the things that brought me to the Program of Narcotics Anonymous.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

NA Basic Text Page 27 "How It Works"

The purpose of a searching and fearless moral inventory is to sort through the confusion and the contradiction of our lives, so that we can find out who we really are. We are starting a new way of life and need to be rid of the burdens and traps that controlled us and prevented our growth.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

NA Basic Text Page 154 "Fearful Mother"

I also decided that I need to know me better before I can have a meaningful relationship with a man. I am learning to communicate with my daughters. I am trying many things which I wanted to do for years. I am able to remember many things that I had pushed out of my mind. I have found that Betty is not that big pile of nothing but is someone and something that I never really stopped to look at or listen to. April 1, will be my fifth NA Birthday, How's that for April Fool's Day!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

N.A. Basic Text Page 63 "The Twelve Traditions of NA"

The autonomy of our groups is necessary for our survival. A dictionary defines autonomous as "having the right or power of self-government...undertaken or carried on without outside control." th9is means our groups are self-governing, and not subject to outside control. Every group has had to stand and grow on its own.