Notices

Principles-Motives-not Prestige!!

Old 05-02-2005, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Principles-Motives-not Prestige!!

Service is great, I really believe in "Doing the right things for the right reasons." And sometimes even that pisses people off. And all I can do is pray for them.
We (Public Information) in this Area were non-existing for well over 1 1/2 years until I was voted in. Now, we are motivated and exited to get the job done. Our A&E in our area seems to be a little put out by our energy to do so. Yesterday things got heated through out the day. 10Am Area-2PM A&E -5PM H&I and 6PM PI, so yeah it was a very long day.
I was accused of dope-fiening funds for our event, there is not prudent reserve for PI here, and the facility that we rents we found out that a homegroup messed up. It was $25 to rent, now its $100 + $50 dep., PI had to go talk to the facility about the situation and decided to keep a good name with this church. We would never have known about this had we not contacted themabout reserving this place. So we had to get the monies up front. So now I'm the dope-fiend? LOL
I am noticing that there is alot of prestige people are having with these positions and It can not bring any good to NA by acting as if nobody can do anything other than 1 sub-committee for events, all We can do is just do it and encourage that they look at the guide lines.
Our Vice-Chair for PI was appoligizing for our event to A&E yesterday while I was getting coffee, Burned me up, So I had to say that , in no shpe or form was I, I don't say I'm sorry for doing the job to the best of my ability. It's not my fault people aren't informed about how service is done. Talk to your sponsor if you don't like it, right? right!
So anyway, my motives were and are good, its for the good of NA, the service structure and so on.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been dealing with something similar. I LOVE to help people, just for the sake of helping. I don't say anything about any of it. Someone recently approached me and said they think I am doing it just to get recognition. Hell, if it wasn't for someone else saying something about it, no one else would even know. It pissed me off that people always think that you have some other motive for doing the right thing for the right reason.

Our Unity (A&E) committee has been doing alot of whining lately about how much they do and how no one supports them. I went off at Area last Sunday and pissed off a whole lot of people. I pointed out all the times people have offered their help and were basically told to go 'F' themselves and then the chair person plays the martyr afterwards because "I've been doing this all alone for 20 months" whine, whine. He didn't like it very much when I started pointing out all the times help was offered and then other people started chiming in as well with their experience with him.

It happens everywhere, just keep doing the right thing for the right reason, and you will be able to comfortably lay your head on your pillow at night.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We just had some big controversy in my area, because 9 people from our area went to the world wide workshop in california a couple of weeks ago. Our area chair and treasurer heard about the workshop and thought it would be a good thing to send a couple of people to, so they made a motion for money to send four people. This upset a lot of people, so my sponsor offered to drive his suburban and pay for all of the gas. The area treasurer agreed to drive his car and pay for his gas. Area paid for the rooms, and nothing more. We drove 12 hours each way, and were in workshops or sleeping the whole time we were there. And we learned so much while we were there I don't think you could put a value on all we learned. But when we got back, the rumor around our area was that we all had a vacation to California. The rumor mill didn't mention that we were only there for half a day on friday, saturday, and half a day on sunday. And that our only full day there (saturday) we were in workshops from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. But no matter what kind of rummors float around, no one can take away all that I learned that weekend. And I plan on using some of the tools that I learned there to help make my area better, starting with my home group.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dogs Bark, Ducks Quack, and People TALK!!!