Notices

Why the ghost town?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why the ghost town?

Clicked on this forum for the first time today because I realized I never see any posts from this section. Only the JFT posts. I know there are lots of people recovering from drug addiction on SR. Is the ghost town here because most people on SR don't use NA, or because the steps aren't the primary focus of NA meetings? Or is it something else? I'm curious. I noticed also that the first thread on each individual step are all from years ago.

I've gone to NA, and qualify to be there, but it's not my program of choice and I don't know a whole lot about it. I know the people I know (a few guys at the gym) who are clean over 20 years put a lot of focus on sponsorship.

Looking to learn a little more about NA for a few different reasons. I realize I could hit a few meetings and see for myself, but I have to admit I don't feel entirely comfortable there.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm no expert in the program. I went to a few NA meetings 20 years ago and the stories scared me away from using anymore. Sadly I replaced use with alcohol.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The substance section has loads of daily activity:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Maybe the NA 12 step program is something that is maybe not used by most to achieve Sobriety!!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hey all,

I wouldn't call myself an SR "expert" or anything, but I have been a member here for some years now and I recall a time when the NA Forum was visited and posted in daily. I noticed (from many of the comments) that many of the NA members that had been here before me were somewhat displeased that this forum was being "watered down" and not respected as a Narcotics Anonymous forum like the alcoholics forum was respected as a Alcoholics Anonymous forum. I could see their point...and instead of coming here to police the forum, they'd rather "vote with their feet" and not be bothered.

I still poke my head in from time to time, but I'm certainly not going to come here to argue or debate with anyone who doesn't want what NA has to offer. And that's what seems to happen all too often...folks come to the NA forum to disprove or criticize NA.

No thanks...I've got bigger fish to fry.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered

I started out in this forum when I got sober ('09). IRL, I drifted away from NA (for reasons I have talked about recently in this forum) and found myself in AA. I still pop in and say hi every so often.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not again

This recoveredcrackhead owes much to the program of AA. when I began my search for recovery I assume NA would be the place for me, being a drug addict. I started attending meetings, but felt out of place. I fear my first thoughts may be deemed disrespectful, but in fact when in the midst of those who have no self-respect/self-esteem, nor respect for others it is hard to tether the tongue...so I moved on.
I was fortunate that a close friend was an alcoholic and he got me involved in service work. I found myself among people who had what I wanted, a life of self-sufficiency. Please don't misunderstand I am grateful for the assistance I have received with food and rent, but I have always planned on giving back and enjoy laboring to do so.
After sometime I actually read the Big Book (I have also read the NA book) and began to work the program. My life has changed for the better and I continue to strive everyday for self-improvement.
To me, it seems some of the NA theory and practices have made their way into AA. To much relience on sponsors and meetings and not enough relience on God.
People like to argue about the whole higher power concept, but I........I should just be glad something keeps them sober.
Anyway, it's now some years later and I go to AA less and less, but I go to church more and more. I am still pursueing my degree in Chemical Dependancy Counceling and certification in Recovery Coaching.
Unfortunetely my work with a charitable organization leaves me with little money to use for such things.
So now I try to give back with other recovery groups and agencies whose only desire is to help, not to control.

Be Well and Live on Purpose,
Larry
Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Old 12-04-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have 10 years clean through NA... Not an expert, but think I may be able to settle some questions you have from an insiders view. I am not interested in talking anyone into or out of one program or the other, or debating which is better, etc. I just have experience that I'm willing to share.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was also looking around and am interested in discussions with old timers. I am butting my head against a core issue that didn't show it's face(I didn't look at it) until recently and am realizing how much work I still have. Of course the work never ends, but I'm having a life crisis with this. What I was sure about had become shaky. I meditate regularly. This and journaling and my husband's willingness to tell me how I act has opened my eyes further. It is painful. I stopped actively seeking change through pain.. At least I thought I did! Anyone have some experience that go beyond the slogans?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Experience regarding what?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been going to meetings almost daily, in person, not on line, for almost 7 years now. But I came here to the NA forum before I had the courage to go to face-to-face meetings. I kind of drifted away from posting here when I got involved in rl meetings and service commitments. But I think I'm going to start poking my head in here again this Winter. I miss my online SR community. Especially Garry, it's good to see you still here, and still clean! I celebrate in April.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I miss you too, KJ! Good to see you!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Going to any conventions this year, G?
Old 01-23-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

So far my only plans are to attend our local convention next month.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I owe so much to the program of NA. I go to both NA and AA meetings but worked NA steps. My experience working the steps thru NA gave me such a thorough understanding of the steps.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Kendrah

D
Old 01-31-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kendrah!!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks guys This place rocks.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Live it

I love NA and the Basic Text is, IMO, superior in delivery, more concise and direct than the rambling, sprawling Big book, although of course it has my utmost respect as The Predescessor.

I've done a lot of thinking about my NA vs AA experiences, and of course, I 100% support whatever tools (even non-12 step) that anyone uses to get and stay clean and sober.

I'm currently an advocate of law reform for felons in my state; in my state, felons are discriminated against and struggle to regain status in the straight world. While I am thankfully and humbly not a felon, and my career has blossomed into a beautiful, limitless world of executive directorships, excellent pay and benefits, and a killer resume, many of my clean friends have been denied access to these beautiful gifts of recovery due to their previous felonies.

The reasons I believe NA has its problems are IMO caused by society's treatment of felons. If my state and others similar would allow felons back into the work force, that much sooner could many people in NA become productive, capable, responsible citizens in the US.

You don't see these problems (feeling shut out of society, feeling like a misfit, cult-ish and outsider) as much in AA because alcohol is not a felony.

As an advocate for felons in my state, I would like to see these laws changed to give people who truly want to change their lives the opportunity to really do that. If I were a felon,my life would be very different today (in a bad way). I pray for my clean felon friends everyday and admire their strength and tenacity in the face of enormous prejudice and adversity.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Live it

That being said, we can't allow ANY reason to be a reason to use again! That's why this saying is so important in NA. A lot of addicts face enormous consequences that extend beyond the "getting clean" part and well into the long-term living of life.

...... Sorry for being off-topic, but I've been wanting to post something to this effect for a long time, and this place has been a ghost town, so I'm taking the opportunity to do so now! Thank you for that!!