Notices

Mean,lean, and Clean?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Mean,lean, and Clean?

For over a year now I have attended AA and NA meetings relevant to alcohol and benzodiazepine prescription drug abuse.
At meetings it is rather sad to see some of those in attendance popping out to smoke some tobacco.AA's main man Bill Wilson was a heavy smoker who died from empyhsema. In his time cigarette smoking was not viewed as badly as it is today,including passive smoking. In Bill's time Lucky Strike claimed to be good for the throat.

I realise that AA is predominantly concerned with alcohol per se. The Big Book tends to prioritize abstinence from alcohol at the cost of other addictions perhaps?

It is categorically stated in that book that AA is not perfect and that change is inevitable. Clearly an over emphasis on alcoholism may see other addictions and moral faults persist for decades. This may be an area in need of some adjustment.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
For over a year now I have attended AA and NA meetings relevant to alcohol and benzodiazepine prescription drug abuse.
At meetings it is rather sad to see some of those in attendance popping out to smoke some tobacco.AA's main man Bill Wilson was a heavy smoker who died from empyhsema. In his time cigarette smoking was not viewed as badly as it is today,including passive smoking. In Bill's time Lucky Strike claimed to be good for the throat.

I realise that AA is predominantly concerned with alcohol per se. The Big Book tends to prioritize abstinence from alcohol at the cost of other addictions perhaps?

It is categorically stated in that book that AA is not perfect and that change is inevitable. Clearly an over emphasis on alcoholism may see other addictions and moral faults persist for decades. This may be an area in need of some adjustment
Hope I didn't offend the smokers too much here.
I see the BB as also a helpful guide to better living, though I am not a thumper by any means.
Life is full of challenge,s and they're all over the place.
As for me I'm just plodding along, trying to assess and work upon my many failings, some of which don't always jump out at me too quickly.......
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hello Bubovski...

Not sure whether you're new to SR or not, but this forum was once considered the NA Forum and is still primarily focused on 12 step recovery from drugs. So if you're looking for some discussion or feedback related to AA, the Big Book or Bill Wilson, you might get more involvement from the AA Forum.

As an NA member with more than a few cups of coffee under my belt, I'm grateful to have found a program that addresses addiction...and I can apply this program to any of the symptoms of my disease (including smoking cigarettes).

Here's a thread you might want to take a look at:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-sugar-3.html
Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool

I agree Garry.
I don't see other problems mutually exclusive at all......