Notices

New here. I need help with Norco Detox.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy norco withdrawls

My doctor is weening me off the norcos 10/?...The pharmacy or doc forgot to put in directions for use and it delayed my pills to taper with for a day..Oh MY GOD I thought I was going to die..I went from taking 20 plus a day to 7 a day for a week then now I am taking 5 a day..This is so bad nothing prepared me for any of this..Is there any hope? What has this medicine done to me for the three years I have been on it??Can anyone please help me with info?? This is the first site I found when I tried to enter vicodin withdrawls or norco ones and symptoms I got like black market offers?? I want off these pills thats why I told my doctor..thank god I am not doing the blackmarket thing as of yet..well forget it i wont..please respond thx
Old 10-26-2004, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cinderelly ..

Welcome!

I removed your post from the other and started a new one so that you might get more replies.

I don't have any personal experience with norco but I can telkl you that there is hope. Addicts can and do recover. If you would like to find a Narcotics Anonymous meeting in your area check www.na.org. There is a meeting finder that you can search by city, state or even zip code there on the home page.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome!
As mentioned there is help! It's great you started out with seeing your doctor, that's a huge step. Visit the NA site, and stick around here, there is a lot of support!
Old 10-26-2004, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Yes, detoxing from opiates is really tough. Talk to your Dr. to see how he/she can make it more comfortable for you, and get some support. If you think you have a problem, you do and I highly recommend NA. There you will find people who understand. Take it one day at a time and do whatever it takes to get off those pills. You don't need them and you will be happier without them. Recovery IS the easier, softer way. Take care.

jojo
Old 10-26-2004, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
UeyNC

Hey Cinder,
I detox-ed a number of times and it never got easier, but this is the first and only time you'll have to do it if you truly want it. Definately continue to use your doctors help and de-tox as soon as possilble. Go to meetings and get a sponsor. take suggestions and whatever you do,,, get off the drugs and stop using them as soon as possible.
MIKE

Old 10-27-2004, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Went back to work today

Ok so this morning i got up and was able to go to work..I went to put my makeup on my eyes and i noticed they looked funny/different to me..I had actual pupils..They were not pinned as to "say"..Work was a little difficult..I am new on my job and I work at a major department store..I do the bank deposits..I had some difficulty at first concentrating but got it towards the end of the day..I do feel funny..I am not my usual talkative boisteruos self the way I was before the meds and during..Does anyone know if it will pass can I do something to help myself?/Am I doing soemthing wrong? Maybe I should try to take less than the 5 a day I am on now??I have had a headache near the back right side of my head for well since I woke up this morning..I will l,okk into meetings this weekend..I did them many years ago to get off speed..Its been 17 years and none and its been 10 years no meetings..I did not like the ones I was going to and had to work too much and daughters illness kept me from going..Doc says with the added stress in my life its no wonder why I was doing the medds like I was..MY eyes really freaked me out tho' are they bigger than normal or were they just pinned for so long i got accustomed to them,,Thank you again for the well wishes
Old 10-28-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(I sent you some more information from my experience.) I also have had lots of trouble concentrating. The brain and body get scrambled and last week I had trouble putting a postage stamp on an envelope. But it does get better. Hot baths and Ibuprophen help. But the biggest help for me is talking with people who know what it's like and who are in recovery. That's why I can't stress meetings enough. In the meantime, keep talking with your Dr. who can hopefully make the detox easier.

jojo
Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Detox

Cinderlley,

I to am currently going through Norco detox. in the past 12 months I have had 5 back surgeries. My last was June 8TH. About 3 weeks ago I abruptly stopped taking them. I was taking about 8-10 per day. I never thought anything of it because I was on them for 12 weeks several years ago and had not problem getting off of them. This time has been different. I went from 8-10 to zero on a Friday. By Sunday I was a mess. I called my surgeon and he told me he would write me another script to wein off of them.

Over the next two week I went from 10-8-6-5-5-4. My wife helped me too. I could not get myself lower than four. Well as of two days ago they a are gone and I am dealing with slight withdrawals. It's manageable, but still sucks big time. It's not scary, I'm not jumping out of skin or anything remotely crazy. I am able to handle it but it sucks.

I feel like I have the flu, my legs are complete rubber, I have slept pretty good. i have the chills, I can't focus on much of anything but the TV. I am not working until this is over. It's hard to concentrate enough to type this e-mail.

Anyway, my advice, based only on my own experience, is to defintely get yourself to the lowest possible intake BEFORE you finally stop. You may have to stay at 5 for some time, go to 4,3,2,2,2,2,1,1,1,1. Whatever you do, take it slow. Your doctor should understand.

My problem with this was getting past 4/5. It was the minimum level my body, or brain, would accept as OK. But, its making the past few days a little harder than they would have been if I did the final 2,2,2,1,1,1 before they were gone. Unfortuantely, it's the mental part of the addiction.

When I go back to the time when my doctor wrote me a script after I had already gone through 2 days without them I could kick myself. I had completed the worst part of the detox then, started all over again. I thought I was doing it right and the detox would not happen, but it still does. If you have been on them for 3 years you are going to detox at some point. If your were at 20, and now 5, you are doing great. My only advice based on my own experience is to get below the 5 before the "quit date". And please do me a favor, forget about the black market stuff. If you do that you will never turn back.

Really, the detaox from 4/5 is very manageable. I'm 48 hours. In 96 hours it should all be behind me. You can do it too.

Don't do the black market stuff, please. I thought of it for a brief second myself, then I walked into the kitchen and saw my wife and three kids. THATS WHEN I KNEW WHAT I HAD TO DO.

Good Luck and hang tough.......!!!!! You'll get there.

Dave
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Soberrecovery!

Thanks for posting your message of hope! It is not always noticed that some of these posts are kinda old...but hey, what you have replied above is just the thing the next norco-detoxing addict can benefit from.

Congrats on your accomplishment!
Do you have a plan for your recovery beyond getting clean?

Missy
Old 09-16-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I stopped Norco after years of abuse. The thing that helped me was taking Ultracet, a non-narcotic pain meds that binds to the opiate receptors. This is only good for a while as these also have withdrawal symptoms. There are some kinds of anti-depressants that say they will work on pain, but they don't for me. I have fibromyalgia, and chronic pain as well as bipolar disorder and depression. And I just slipped up after 6 months because the dr asked me if I wanted a refill, and of course I couldn't say no, but from being denied I went crazy and ate them like candy, thank God I didn't OD. Now the refill time is coming up again, and I keep thinking well maybe once more, or maybe I can get some control, but it's all lies. I don't go to meetings cause it was not for me, but know it helps many alot. I do though believe you can only do this if you ask God and then give it to Him, and let go. Good luck and prayers.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad I found this page I am hoping you are still here on this forum.
I had been useing vicoden and norco from my Dr for about 5 yrs for a back issue . The Dr decided just give pills and ignore the need for surgery.
I then hurt my back worse and went to a new Dr and he gave me 20 10/325 norcos a day while the work comp an lawyers worked out their issues, that was in april last year, I had the surgery in Nov and the medicine continued with the additin of valium for a month an now after christmas the Drs office knowing I was trying to ween off the meds took me from 10 per day to cold turkey.
I have no one to call that would understand the Dr is now on vacation and his office staff is a joke and I am a wreck.
I have the insomnia, diareha, goosebumps all over my skin, no appitite and trying to be nausious but when I go to throw up the fused back goes into more pain an I cant.
With all that I have added pain as the bones heal and so on and also nerve issues with pain in the legs and ice cold feet and so on.
The pain and withdrawls make it impossible.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Marty!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How I stopped taking norcos after 5 years

REDBULL helped me so much and just caffeine it sounds bad bc its another addiction but I'm telling u I used red bull and after 2 weeks I even gave up that it helped me with my energy and headaches and I wasn't so depressed I'm tellig u use caffeine for a little bit and I just took baths at the end of the night try to get lots of rest and drink lots of water and sleeeeep and just lounge and take a few days to yourself it will help!!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

The original post started in 2004 (9 yrs ago).