Notices

Recovering Addict Stomach Problems

Old 06-19-2004, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering Addict Stomach Problems

I have taken in a young man 19 years old that is a recovering heroin addict (as is my 20 year old son). They were friends.

He has been clean (I am sure) fora bout 2 months. However, he is often sick to his stomach - vomiting. Lately, he has gotten a cold it seems and last night he had to leave work because of vomiting.

I went with him Wednesday to his first processing for an outpatient program (yeah it took that long) and asked for medical. They gave him charity care but the first appointment he could get is toward the end of August.

I am concerned about him, do not know if this is normal or what to do.

Any guidance?
Old 06-20-2004, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I'm a recovering opiate addict and I used to throw up when I was going through withdrawal, but two months seems like a long time for that to still be going on. Is there any way he can see a doctor before August? He could be dehydrated or become so and that can be dangerous as you probably know. Wish you both well!
Love, Eddie
Old 06-21-2004, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for responding. He seems to be doing better (seems just a cold now) but they told me if it continues to take him to the hospital where the out patient program he has been placed in (and where the medical clinic he has the appointment with) is located.

He does have a bad cold, I am sure post nasal drip and I have suggested that he stay away from the dairy (especially milk).

He is doing good and really trying - I pray for him as I do for my son every night.

I will keep in mind that if it continues to get him to a doctor no matter what.

Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're very welcome! Yeah, I think it was the post-nasal drainage in part that caused the vomiting for me. Lot of fluids and rest, right? I wish you all well.
Love, Eddie
Old 06-21-2004, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

I am recovering from opiates too. For a couple of months I would catch everything that came out. Our system are weak for a while, they will get stronger. Electro-lites are imortant and lots of vitamine C, and B-12 would be good too. It has help me!! Clear liquids are good, it will pass, just got take care of it, we didn't do that when we used so it hits different when we don't medicate ourselves daily anymore.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
lovin' life now

My AH is dealing with the same thing - he was inpatient for 8 days and has been out 7 days, but now he's really feeling horribly. Fainting, vomiting, diarrhea, the whole bit. Thanks for the advice so far and please keep it coming. He doesn't want to end up in the ER (neither to do I). I got him some Gatorade, energy bars and shakes when he doesn't feel like eating real food, and lots of rest. I hope that will help him
Old 06-26-2004, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Eddie,

I am a recovering addict from opiates. Five days so far clean. Feeling really bad
though. Any insight on how long this lasts./

thanks
Madeline
Old 06-26-2004, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Madeline,
It depends somewhat on the particular drug you're coming off of, but you should be feeling better as soon as today! If you're getting off methadone, it takes longer.

Congratulations on Five Days!!!

Love, Eddie
Old 06-26-2004, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Again thanks all. He is doing much better.

Now all I have to do is help him figure out how to overcome the boredom!

One day at a time.

His Grandfather and sister stopped by on their way to NC. He was so excited to see them. We took family pictures!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Madeline,

E Z is absolutely correct....it depends on the opiate....heroin, me personally 3-5 days is the worst of it but then I've had to kick it just a few times in my 34 years of active addiction, either because of no money, no credit, no-thing to hock or there just wasn't no-thing. Methadone without a doubt is tough, as tough as oxy-cotin or any other hi powered Rx drug you can fall prey to. It's 3:00 a.m. where I'm at right now, I'm still wide awake, just got back from the john for the upteenth time today and in 2 hours it will have been 60 frickin days since I last inhaled, injected or injested any type of opiate into my body but I have been in methadone clinics for the past 23 years when I wasn't on one of my six to eight months to a year heroin runs or wasn't using both which was almost all the of the time. I'm not bragging about it because I wish I had never heard of the ****. I have never had as much trouble getting off anything as much as methadone. In order to keep doing both of them I did things I thought I could never do and be someone I grew to loath. I was a worthless scamming, thiefing, lieing, cheating, worthless piece of work and I'm stll waking up each morning trying to find one good thing in that person I see in the mirror. I do know one thing though: if I had stayed out on the streets doing what I had been, it was just a matter of time before I was locked up for the rest of my life, killed someone or overdosed and died and my so called friends dumping my body in some trash lugger. But then that's me and not you and I so very much wish you only the best in your recovery. Listen to the people in these rooms with alot of clean time and do what they do. You're not responsible for your addiction, only your recovery. Meanwhile, everyone in here loves you unconditionally and will always be there for you (as long as their internet provider works better than mine!!!!)

Hack

P.S. Sorry for all the yada, yada, yada but what else can I do at 3:00 in the morning, right?!?!?!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hack,

You said what you needed to say, and you said it well.

My first year clean, I caught every cold, flu and stomach bug that came along. I was always sick. Our sytems have been comprimised from the drug use and it takes time for them to build back up and function properly. If he doesn't stop vomiting, ask a doctor for 'compazine' it's non-narcotic, non-addictive medication for nausea and vomiting and it works really well.

Madeline,

Just like everyone else said, It depends on the opiate. Remember, it may feel really bad now, but this feeling passes. I kicked a large habit cold turkey, felt like I was going to die but I didn't. I hung in there and now I have 7+ years clean. You can do it too.

Laurie D
Old 06-27-2004, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

namommy....

7 years+!!!!!!!! I stand in awe.....I didn't think I would make 7 days much less 60 and it only gets better each day. As far as the sleeplessness, hey, my body nows how far it can go before it has to lay down, crash and burn. I got 4 hours of deep sleep this a.m. and as for the other, I'd rather have what I have now rather than the flip side of that record. Again, 7 years and some change ... you are just incredible......

Peace,

Hack
Old 06-27-2004, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No expectations!

morpat,
You're welcome! Glad he is feeling better.

How's Madeline?

Hack,

Congrats on 60 Days!!!

Hey, Laurie!

Love to all,
Eddie Z.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hacker,

I'm not incredible, Narcotics Anonymous is. I did not do this on my own. It was from the help of other addicts and a definite boost from my HP.

I still sleep weird. I've just learned to accept it more these days. My body tells me when I'm tired and if I'm not willing to see the signs, then my husband tells me when I am tired (usually after about 3 days of no sleep). I look like this.. :crazy:

:icon16: I had to add this one just because it looks like me (I'm missing a front tooth as a result of my active days) lol
Old 07-01-2004, 04:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

opiate withdrawals

Hey guys,

I had a hard time getting back on the computer. I finally went back to the doc and had to get some specimens for the lab. Looks and feels
like the lining of my gut is disapating. S---- it hurts so bad.
It is now 12 days. I know I cant work get, and I am gonna stay out
until I can work. I do physical work and could never do it now.
Thanks for replying and please keep in touch.

Love ya all.
Madeline
Old 07-01-2004, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Congrats on 12 Days, Madeline!!

Sorry you're still feeling bad. Are you going to any meetings while you're recuperating? You could probably use the face-to-face support. Wish you the best!
Love, Eddie
Old 07-01-2004, 08:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chy

Good for you Madeline!! Take it easy, rest, try to eat healthy, and keep up the good work!!

Morpat, does he have an interest in NA? Meetings, will keep him busy, get him around people just like him, and give him his own time and peace of mind he's actively doing something in his recovery process.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My son is also a recovering addict. They were going to meetings together.

Unfortunately, he (not my son) has lost his license and where I live no transportation. I work in NYC and my commute means I leave about 6 AM and get home 6:30 PM or there after.

I could try taking him but he is in a program in order to qualify for PTI. I am also trying to look at getting him into a trade.

He is stocking shelves at night and hates it. (He doesn't complain to me but I have heard). But little baby steps.

As for my son, he hates the meetings and doesn't believe he has a problem because he came off the heroin with me holding him but forcing him to go to an out patient program. He ahs dabbled twice and frankly I worry about it.

My house guest is willing to listen and be guided - my son and I can't seem to come to terms and I have stopped helping and fighting. Already 2 speeding tickets and another violation. The second time (that I knew of) that he did dope I called his PO. He was pissed but that is the rules of living in my home period.

Not sure where thing are now - but I have little trust.

Anyway, you guys are great. Stay clean and keep helping each of us!
Old 07-03-2004, 05:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Eddie, Morpat, Namommy, etal

So good to hear and read all the posts. Still got the aches and weak feeling.
If I get up and try to go to the store, I got to get home quick and lay down.
Still bad abdominal cramps and runs. Had a test done for that should hear
Tuesday. Going to a family doctor, but should I go to a different doctor
who understands this specialty? There is a detox center in this area, and
maybe they would know. I will give a try.

Right now I just stay home and get up and move around a little then feel horrible.
Heard vitamin c and B12. Well I got a shot of b-12 from the doctor, and I thought
the vitamin c was helping tearing up my stomach..

If anyone has any suggestion I would love to hear them. Soon as I can get up
and out I will be in a NA meeting. Write now dont think I could sit up for an hour.

Bless you all.............love reading your posts and replies.

Love ya all for the help..... and hope I can be of help to you somehow.
Love Madeline
Old 07-03-2004, 06:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No expectations!

should I go to a different doctor who understands this specialty? There is a detox center in this area, and maybe they would know.
Sounds like an excellent idea! An addictionologist or addiction psychiatrist might best be able to help you and a detox center is a great place to find one. It's also great that you're planning to go to NA. I'm excited for you.

I usually took Kaopectate for diarrhea when I was withdrawing because it helped with cramps and Imodium could make that worse. But ask your doc if it's OK first because they may suspect infection, in which case you'd need something different.

And just so you know, you DO help me. You help remind me of why I don't want to use anymore. I don't ever want to go through what you're going through again. It's what we call in NA "the therapeutic value of one addict helping another." Well, hang in there. I'm wishing the best for you.
Love, Eddie