SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/narcotics-addiction-12-step-support/)
-   -   meetings or steps or both (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/narcotics-addiction-12-step-support/303309-meetings-steps-both.html)

trikyriky 08-06-2013 02:11 PM

meetings or steps or both

Hi I've been working my program and attend some meetings when necessary.
I'm an addict, crack cocaine, mostly on weekends. I've improved considerably . My question is the steps. Can I do them on my own ? Do I need them at all ?

thuggybear 08-06-2013 02:28 PM

From my experience, Yes. Meetings help, but the 12 steps are where we find the power to stay clean. PM me if you have any questions or need support :)

trappeshot 08-07-2013 05:34 PM

the meetings are for support. the steps are what does the work. you aren't getting the benefit of the meetings if you aren't working the steps

kab 08-07-2013 05:50 PM

hi im kab,go to as many mtgs as you can,,when I go I take a pad of paper and pen,and I listen,listen,,to what is being said,and I write things down.that I feel will help me,mainly because if I don't write it down,ill forget everything,learn to listen and listen to learn,,it has helped me.,as for the steps,they are very important,reread them every chance u get and follow there advice they will help keep you sober,and for me I also pray ,pray pray,,my hp jesus helps me and keep me sober,i talk to him always this is also a form of prayer,just talking to him,,,,you may just realize that he is telling you things you need to do,,,to get better,,,thanks

Threshold 08-08-2013 08:19 AM

My experience. I went to 10 meetings a week. Kept relapsing. Moved to a place with ZERO meetings, but really got working my steps, out of the step working guide. Spent time daily connecting to my HP. I've been clean and sober for 16 months.

Many of the meetings I attended got me more worked up, distracted me from my progress, gave me a lot of confusing and mixed messages on what the program was about etc.There was a LOT of drama in the rooms, the literature is refreshingly drama free! Returning to the literature and focusing on the steps has turned my life around.

Meetings vary tremendously in style, format and sticking to the program. I would never suggest people stop attending meetings. I share only my own experience.

Gmoney 08-20-2013 09:13 PM

The Program & Fellowship go hand-in-hand

Originally Posted by trikyriky (Post 4109135)
Hi I've been working my program and attend some meetings when necessary.
I'm an addict, crack cocaine, mostly on weekends. I've improved considerably . My question is the steps. Can I do them on my own ? Do I need them at all ?

I'm a bit "old school" when it comes to NA and I was taught that, although our literature tells us that "most of us..." require a sponsor to guide us in our step work (meaning, there's probably some who can do it alone), sponsoring oneself is like "having a fool for a sponsor." I believe the point they were trying to make is that it can be almost impossible to recognized self-deception when working the steps alone. Having someone who is experienced in doing what we are attempting is crucial and in my opinion, priceless.

Secondly, the 12 Steps are written in an order and are to be followed as such. All 12 Steps of NA comprise the NA program and to work them randomly or partially would (IMO) result in a "shortchanged" recovery. We get out of this what we put in to it.