# 1 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Arrow Just For Today -Nov. 13 2012

November 13, 2012
Not perfect
Page 331

"We are not going to be perfect. If we were perfect, we would not be human."

Basic Text, p. 31

All of us had expectations about life in recovery. Some of us thought recovery would suddenly make us employable or able to do anything in the world we wanted to do. Or maybe we imagined perfect ease in our interactions with others. When we stop and think, we realize that we expected recovery would make us perfect. We didn't expect to continue making many mistakes. But we do. That's not the addict side of us showing through; that's being human.

In Narcotics Anonymous we strive for recovery, not perfection. The only promise we are given is freedom from active addiction. Perfection is not an attainable state for human beings; it's not a realistic goal. What we often seek in perfection is freedom from the discomfort of making mistakes. In return for that freedom from discomfort, we trade our curiosity, our flexibility, and the room to grow.

We can consider the trade: Do we want to live the rest of our lives in our well-defined little world, safe but perhaps stifled? Or do we wish to venture out into the unknown, take a risk, and reach for everything life has to offer?

Just for Today: I want all that life has to offer me and all that recovery can provide. Today, I will take a risk, try something new, and grow.

Copyright (c) 2012, NA World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Old 03-02-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank you Carol...