Notices

SR Article on Narcotics Anonymous

Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

SR Article on Narcotics Anonymous

I was googling information online and came across this article put out by SR on NA. I mean no offense whatsoever, and I don't wish to cause any problems for SR or myself here, but I am confused and concerned by the inexperience and misinformation it presents.

Sober Recovery Articles » Blog Archive » Narcotics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous is it for you?

Narcotics Anonymous or NA is a 12 step program that is similar to the other non-profit organization: Alcoholics Anonymous. This program is designed to help people who have a drug problem. However, not every drug addict can enter NA and have success. It takes a good level of will power to make it through.

Depending on the drug, the habit can be very difficult to beat. Someone who is trying to kick a cocaine habit that has been a part of them for years may have a difficult time in Narcotics Anonymous. However, someone who has had surgery recently and grew attached to opiates like Vicodin, but haven’t been abusing them long may find comfort in the NA program. However, all you really need to beat your addiction is the desire to stop using drugs.

Know the Effectiveness of Programs like Narcotics Anonymous before Enrolling

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell you the percentage of success NA has or will have with you, because there are so many types of drugs people are addicted to. If it were Alcoholics Anonymous it would be simple, as the only drug in the mix would be alcohol. NA has so many varieties of drugs that individual studies have not been done to that extreme. There is no percentage on how many cocaine users versus how many heroin users succeed with the program. Simply, if you want to beat your addiction through Narcotics Anonymous, do your research; show up to meetings and follow the program. If you follow the program and remain strong through the 12 steps, you will see sobriety.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Perhaps it would be better to use the free and correct information provided by NA itself?

Here is an example of many:

Information About NA
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw...n_about_NA.pdf
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Who, What, How and Why
Reprinted from the White Booklet, Narcotics Anonymous
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw.../IP/EN3101.pdf
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

NA White Booklet, Narcotics Anonymous
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw...%20Booklet.pdf
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

What Is the Narcotics Anonymous Program?
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw...%20Program.pdf
Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for clarifying NA for others...
Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Let me clear up the percentages of addicts that stay clean in NA. 100% of the people who don't take the first drug stay clean.

Thank you
Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey guys!

Long time no post here....wow I didn't know SR had such a posting on NA. I totally agree with steering people to the actual NA information. NA has a focus on recovery from addiction, not a specific substance. NA works for those who want to stop using drugs, lose the desire to use and find a new way to live.

Peace,
Missy
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The Basic Text of NA states that "We have never seen an addict who lives this program relapse." The thing about NA is that we all mess up. None of us live the program perfectly. One statement in particular in that article is patently false, that "not every drug addict can enter NA and have success." Every single addict CAN recover through NA if they live the principles embodied in the program. The only difficult part about it is learning how to do that. It is difficult, but with the help of others in recovery and a higher power of your understanding, it can always be done. The idea that we rely on our own willpower to get clean is misleading. If all it took was my willpower, I wouldn't need NA. I could do it myself cold turkey. The fact that I can't is why I came to NA. Through the program, we recover from the disease of addiction.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

willpower, enrolling, sobriety?????

This needs to be removed and some real info about NA put in it's place