Notices

How do I recover as an atheist in NA?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flman84 View Post
The problem I have is I come from a completely scientific/medical background. So when people talk about the miracles in their lives I usually can easily explain them to myself. Even the ability to stay clean isn't the miracle to me that it is to others. For me it's simply a region of by brain (the reasoning area) over taking the effected area (the reward area).v
I am a non-believer in recovery. I haven't been to NA in years, but go to AA now. I am both an alcoholic and addict.

As for miracles, I can analyze them away, but I choose not to do so. For example, there are at least two miracles that happen to me on a daily basis. I am sober/clean and I am above ground. I don't associate anything supernatural to these "miracles", but it helps instill gratitude. In my opinion, having an attitude of gratitude is vital in recovery. I am grateful everyday that when I wake up, I am above ground and sober/clean. I have a chance to live life just for today.

Then "miracles" happen daily. I can chalk them up as coincidences or explain them away. However, that is not important. The important thing is that I am cognizant and aware that these "miracles" happen and I can witness them; either great or small. I certainly walked around for awhile in a fog and self-absorbed in my own little world that I would only notice when "S*!t Happened."

I don't view miracles as a supernatural phenomena. I view them as a natural occurrence which gives me an opportunity to be grateful.

I've been clean for over 7 months and I'm not sure I'm going to continue in NA. I think its a wonderful program but I'm not sure it's right for me. I don't believe in a "spirit" so I don't know if I belong in a spiritual program. I would welcome any help I can get because it is very frustrating.
The way I drank and drugged went against man's very spirit; self preservation. There is nothing spiritual about a slow suicide filled with pain and misery (all self-inflicted). NA is just a simple program that teaches you how to live again. Teaches you how to "breathe", instead of drowning yourself in a bottle and/or your DoC.

I view recovery in remarkable simple terms. Surrender, clean house, mend your past so you can live with it, do the next right thing with healthy and honest intentions, and help others. Others will trust God. I trust in the process. I know that applying simple principles from NA/AA will eventually lead to a better outcome and a better life.

That is just my ES&H on the matters. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Bests,