Notices

Clarity Statement?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clarity Statement?

I have never understood the purpose of a clarity statement. Can someone help me out? I remember hearing in the early 80's, " this is a God-given program." I believe that to be true. But, if so, then what can a man say that would destroy what God (HP for the non-believers) has created?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have way too many readings and statements. That is why meetings take so long before we get to the meeting
Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

help us out here please, what exactly to you understand the "clarity statement" to be?

could you please post the statement you speak of?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I am not clear on the clarity statement. ??
Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

This?

At NA meetings we introduce ourselves as addicts. We refer to our time in the NA program as clean time or recovery. We do this because with the first step of NA we have shifted the focus off any specific drug and onto the recovery process. Any labels which imply specific drugs or more than one disease dilute that focus. Our identification as addicts is all-inclusive, allowing us to concentrate on our similarities rather than our differences.
Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

There's also this thread from about 4 1/2 years ago:

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Oh oh... don't mention Clarity Statement or Andy Addict will jump up out of nowhere!! LOL!!!

My home group reads a Clarity Statement very similar to the one Sugah offered, yet it ends with:

"We offer this suggestion in the spirit of NA unity and our intention is not to rule, censor or dictate the behavior of others. It is suggested so that we can hear the clear, unconfusing, and lifesaving message of Narcotics Anonymous."
Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just read Andy Addicts post and...............Right ON!!!!!! Im sorry but it is just this addicts opinion that it ( clarity statement) takes away the love this fellowship was founded on..........
Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Not to divert the thread (but I'm going to do it anyway...*sigh*), but has anyone "seen" or heard from AndyAddict?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Women Do Recover!

I think there is way too many readings too, but worse than that I can not stand the extended version of the reading that goes on about the "internal and external forces that may destroy us" I think that reading is way out and talk about scarey for the newcomer. Yikes.

And on to Andy Addict - WTH is a NA certified Counselor?? Who is the NA? OR is he Joking?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

And on to Andy Addict - WTH is a NA certified Counselor?? Who is the NA? OR is he Joking?
I swear he's coming! LOL!! But I'll share this anyway: I disagree with Andy's interpretation of clarity statements and find them to be an important suggestion (like any other in NA). I haven't heard of him in a while, but I'm sure he's around. His self-proclaimed title is a joke and not to be taken seriously. Yet he has a talent for making his opinions appear rooted in truth. He's a very good writer (persuasive) and we've bumped heads in the past. I got a lot of respect for him, but I see clarity statements as a simple suggestion...like doing 90 in 90.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like the clarity statement. It clarifies things...lol.
I do find it unnecessary for folks to say "I'm an addict and alcoholic."
It is all one disease. NA's position is that alcholics are addicts, addicted to alcohol. So why say both?
KJ
Old 11-14-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
We have way too many readings and statements. That is why meetings take so long before we get to the meeting
Old 11-14-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Several groups in the Central Indiana area read a clarity statement and I find it unfortunate that it actually mentions a specific drug to give an example of how not to! jeez!! A clarity statement is not read at meetings in the South Central Area of Indiana...they say it's not approved literature so it should not be included and also some members dont even know about it because of this.

I happen to agree with it's not necessary in the spirit of unity.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would like to add that I do think it's a good topic for sponsor and sponsee to discuss outside the meetings. I also think its good topic for the meeting after the meetings when members fellowship while going out to dinner. We can reach points of clarity in the presence of our predecessors.

To bring it in as a statement formatted into the meeting I was against in my homegroup specifically because of the wording. It mentions specifically one particular drug as an example not too! then states that it is indeed a drug (duh)....Jeez!

I'm one who will always say it is up to the groups conscience.

Kinda hard to see the program working if I'm not working it.....
Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

I am less rigid as the days pass. I am an extremist though. I know that I have to draw the line between letting go and being complacent and people pleasing.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, I like N.A.'s clarity statement. In this day and age it seems that are lot of individuals (at least in A.A.) who are not clear about what their problem is and what the primary purpose of the fellowship they say they belong is supposed to be.

The clarity statement also tells me that as a guest at N.A. meetings I should refrain from speaking out of respect to The Fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous. A few years ago a friend invited me to his NA home group at his clean time anniversary. I was asked to speak, but declined, stating the reason I gave above. They looked at me like I had an eye in the middle of my forehead, so apparently NA is not much different than AA in the respect that many of the members don't really understand why they are there. Oh well, not slamming anyone, just an observation.
Jim
Old 11-15-2008, 01:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I agree that each group should decide for themselves. I believe one of the reasons why the Clarity Statement hasn't become Fellowship Approved is because there is so much division about it...but that doesn't mean it's anti-NA nor is it an exaggeration of what is already in our literature. For example, in "Who Is An Addict?" (chapter one, BT), it states:

"As addicts, we have an incurable disease called addiction...Once we identify ourselves as addicts, help becomes possible."

In NA, we refer to our disease as addiction, and by practicing our unity, it is suggested that we avoid being drug specific. It is our focus on the disease itself, as opposed to the different drugs we used or became addicted to, that provides a common point of identification. The Clarity Statement is simply a reminder of that common point of unity and assists us in carrying a clear message of recovery (the NA Way) instead of one that is blurred by referrences to DOC.

In "What Is The NA Program?" (chapter two) it states:

"We are recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean...We are not interested in what or how much you used..."

Since we aren't interested in what you used, referring to oneself as an addict AND a ____, isn't necessary for inclusion. As a matter of fact, if we were to all identify ourselves according to the drugs we used - it would create more disunity than unity. The literature already tells us that we used different drugs and different combinations of drugs (and some of us went to greater extremes than others). NA suggests that we focus on our similarities instead of our differences. A Clarity Statement is an educational tool that allows us to do so.

"Although physical and mental tolerance play a role, many drugs require no extended period of use to trigger allergic reactions. Our reactions to drugs is what makes us addicts, not how much we use."

I will assert here that our DOC isn't what makes us addicts either. In the chapter called The Twelve Traditions, we are told that alcohol is a drug. In Who Is An Addict, marijuana is mentioned...so offering an example of how not to blur our message in a clarity statement isn't much of a stretch for me. I agree with Missy that it would always be a good topic for discussion between members outside meetings. Yet, I also believe it is appropriate to discuss in our meetings as well. Our message says, an addict...ANY ADDICT, can stop using drugs, lose the desire to use and find a new way to live. If you're an addict...what kind of addict you are (DOC-wise) is irrelevant.

One drawback has nothing to do with the statement, but more to do with intolerant and domineering members: those who try to force others to share according to the statement. We must always remember that we lead by example, not control. None of us came in to NA automatically knowing how to share. As one of the old IP's used to say - "In NA, nothing will be demanded of you, but you will receive many suggestions." That's all a Clarity Statement is: a suggestion.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The CLARITY STATEMENT AGAIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH................
Old 11-15-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I wasn't clear that I was an addict while at ana NA meeting but it was a a wonderful day when the clarity statement was read. Now Im clear.

Give me a break