Notices

{Amends} Direct and Indirect.. Step 9

Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

yes...some do accept a jail term as their consequences for past crimes. Some who don't have kids or careers make themselves available to serve time. Doing harm to yourself or others (committing new crimes) is not the way to go. Some make indirect ammends to avoid a jail term that would cause more harm than good.
To answer your question directly, yes some actually choose to let a judge sentence them to time....and they go and serve it.

Making amends are not amends if new harm or crimes are committed in the process.

I hope I understood and answered your question.

Peace,
Missy
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Making amends is about doing what it takes to stop empowering the dysfunctional attitudes and black and white thinking so that we can change the behaviors. It is about becoming willing to face the terror of healing our emotional wounds, so that we can stop reacting and hurting other people and our self with our behavior.
I am sitting here thinking about an amends I have determined to make today. I feel the time is right and I have the right attitude and motive in doing it. I feel anxious about picking up the phone and asking for some time for this person to meet with me. I know it can be done in person and have discussed it with my sponsor.
I still feel fearful of DOING. I know it will be ok, I know I will have the words to say and even feel like it will go well. I wanted to just go and show up to speak to him and my grand sponsor said, no, you need to call and be considerate by allowing him to choose the time. I am really feeling the humility hat on my head in doing it this way. I have to give him the control as to wether he is available or not. I have to give him the power to say no, that he may not want to see me.
I will only know the outcome when I pick up the phone and be willing to follow through.
Doing it MY way of just stopping in doesn't require such a large dose of humility. This is tough. I need courage to do what I need to do.
I feel better getting this out, and hope someone else will gain from my experience here. I will post later how it goes!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

The steps within the steps! So many ways we confront ourselves and grow as we move through the process.

This post helped me today! Thank you.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It did work out fine, I called my sponsor and told her I was having trouble picking up the phone to go through with an amends. She reminded me that I am doing great and it will be fine and she encouraged me enough to get over the hump I was stuck at. I felt choked up driving in to meet with him, asking God to give me the words I would need. I went straight to business and asked for a private place we could talk and the words came naturally. It lasted about 15 minutes. He was very understanding, forgiving, and supportive. I found out his dad had had a problem with alcohol that he never did kick. I gave him my number if he knew of anyone needing help with addiction. I still got teary eyed and choked up talking and for half an hour afterwards. I called my sponsor after and was so choked up I could hardly talk! Uff da…
Whew…I am still alive!!Yehaw!!
Old 02-20-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
KMF

Step 9

Hi G
I struggle daily with step 9. I appreciated what you said about having to pay mortgage, feed kids etc. I feel I would be doing harm to my husband and children to start trying to repay (even if I did it anonymously). My sponsor believes I could set up a bank account & just put a small amount into it weekly and slowly pay off. I simply feel in principle that it'd $ that should be going to family expenses. It's a hard call/ the kids go to a reasonably good school but we can't afford holidays at all. My husband is constantly on my back about money( ie spending more than we earn), but having said this there's an understanding that we will do this until the kids are through school then things might turn around. I just feel I'd be doing more harm than good