Notices

BiPolar Meds

Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation BiPolar Meds

Ok everybody; I'm getting ready to go back to my doctor in a week and discuss my meds once more. I'm tired of the weight gain, the blurred vision, and being tired, or zoned out all the time. What's everyone's opinion on the best Bipolar med available on the market right now? Lithium seems to cause me weight gain, blurred vision, and confused thoughts at times. Depakote seems to cause weight gain in me. Topamax seems to cause me some vision problems; but at least I don't gain a ton of weight. They all seem to affect my libido to a certain extent. I'm tired of all this crap; but I don't want another manic episode either. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need them fast!
Thanks,
In Christian Love and Recovery,
TheLazarusman
Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Ask if Wellbutrin would work for you. None of the dizziness, dry mouth or libido issues. It works on your dopamine only, so could possibly be used in conjunction with a SSRI for depression. I don't know about treating bi-polar with it. But it does cause some anxiety and jitteriness in some people, so if you're succeptible to those, it might not be good for you. Just mention the name to your Dr. and see if it might be applicable in your case.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

I don't think there IS a "BEST" bipolar med - what works for some, may not for others. There is no 'quick fix' for BP. It's not gonna happen overnight. It takes time and patience - trial and error - to find the right med combo for each person. Everyone's brain chemistry is different. (Therapy is invaluable, imho.)

Lithium literally saved my life - so I'm a wee bit prejudiced. It's been around the longest - *possibly* more safe - because it's basically a naturally occurring substance - it's a salt.

Just *one* drug doesn't work for me. I'm on a 'cocktail' of sorts. Lithium stabilizes me, but I still need help with the depression + anxiety aspects of my BP.

Keep in mind that depression itself can cause weight gain and libido issues. Are you giving the meds enough of a chance?? Some drugs have temporary side-effects that diminish in a few weeks as your body adjusts to them. (I was 'stoned' for 3-4 weeks when I 1st started Lithium 5 yrs ago.)

Is it possible that your blurred vision is due to anxiety??
I was totally astonded to discover that's true for me.

I keep a running list of notes to take into my pdoc so I don't forget anything.

The best thing is to have a pdoc that you can TALK to, who can get to *know you* and work *with* you to get it all figured out.

Bright Blessings,
Blue
Old 01-11-2006, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Yeah....it all depends on you.

I've tried lithium, Depakote did poorly on both. I did the best on Lamictal....really clear headed....mental clarity...

As for anti-d's, I'm doing well on Wellbutrin and Effexor. I rarely go manic and after I came off the lithium I noticed that I started feeling better and better (physically) without being on a mood stabalizer. I've been off MS for about 2 1/2 months now and have been more level than I ever was on mood stabalizers during the past year and a half....go figure.

Wellbutrin typically causes weight loss....and even when I was on Effexor by itself before, i never gained weight (actually I lost 40 pounds at the end of that year, but that may have been caused from high levels of stress....not sure). I gained all that 40 back plus some when I went on other meds. Now that I'm back on it, along with the Wellbutrin...i seem to be loosing a little....about 5 pounds so far I think.

Best of luck.....just don't give up...you'll find the right mix for you. More important than weight is your stability and happiness though....right?

Hugs,
Jenna
Old 01-11-2006, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice; everyone. I appreciate it very much.

And yes, Blue,
I'm trying to give each drug a chance. I have been on Lithium and Lithobid since 1999; I think. Since I quit taking it about a month and a half ago I have noticed that I no longer have spells of blurred vision. My thoughts also seem to be clearer. I've also lost eleven pounds. I took Welbutrin for a brief time back in 1996; and had an adverse reaction to it. Of course that could be because I was inpatient at the time at a treatment facility trying to shake my addiction to Meth. I've been clean on Meth, thank you God!!!, since December of 1996; but I've been weary to retry Welbutrin since then. Maybe it's time for another chance.

Jenna,
As usual, your advice is good and well taken. I shouldn't care what I look like, or how much I weigh. I should only be concerned with my mental health; but at this point in my life I guess vanity is taking over a little bit too. I don't have a significant female in my life at this time; and I'd really like to do something about changing that. I guess I feel like noone is ever going to see the me on the inside, if all they see is a short, tubby guy on the outside. Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down; ya know?

Thanks again gang.
TheLazarusman
Old 01-11-2006, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think bipolar meds in general have the potential for lots of undesirable side effects. AH is on Depakote. Attempted a switch to Lamictal due to weight gain from Depakote, it was not a good move. Lamictal made him more manic. Now on Topamax as well to try to keep him from gaining so much weight, but I think that has "dumbed" him down some. I hope you find something that works for you.

I suffer from deprssion, tried Wellbutrin, it made me feel overstimulated, just wired up, really did not help depression.

But of course, all the meds work different on all people. Just trial and error!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah....some people get too over-stimulated on Wellbutrin. I'm on 300 mg and can't really tell that it gives me much energy....I just know I feel better if I take it earlier in the day as opposed to later (cus then I have troubles sleeping too).

But some peeps do well on 150 mg.
From what I know about Lamictal....it's a mood stabalizer that works more on the depressive side of the bipolar than the mania so peeps with severe manias might be ill advised to take it, but i'm no doc. My main problems are the depressive episodes so Lamictal seemed to work best for me, but I still believe that it made me lethargic, but it could have been one of the other meds doing that though....so I'm really not sure. I just know that I feel better off mood stabalizers. Although I'm scared about the progress reprocussions.

I've read that bipolar d. is progressive if unmedicated.....so I'm worried that I might do well for the next 7 years or so and them BAM hit another major episode that is twice as bad as this last one has been (and I don't think I could live through that). So I don't know? My doc is a num-nut....so I can't talk to her about it.

Anyway....Randy...I smiled when you talked about the weight issues, in how you described it I mean, because I feel the same way...short and tubby...webble wobbly and I wish I could get at least this 40 pounds back off, but right now I'm really more concerned with being able to function and hold down a job. It's been so many months since I saw the light at the end of the tunnel that I don't want to do anything to mess that up right now.....but I have some plans to start working on a few things in the near future.

When you said all that....it made me think back to something my ex said last year. He's one of those kind of guys that girls are always hanging all over him. Us getting together was never suppose to happen, but it did. He was also a very honest man....one of his few GOOD qualities and we were talking about my weight and an old picture of me one day. He had seen a photo of me way before we ever met and I was about 100 pounds lighter in that picture. There were several other girls my age in the pic and I always thought they were all prettier than me. Well....he was in my dad's shop one day and he saw the pic and said, "Oh my gosh, Jim! Who is THAT!".....my dad paused and said, "Ummmm....that would be my daughter!" (In other words.....you'd better watch what you say and DON'T you dare go near her).

On one of his drunken nights at my house he told me if I just lost some of the weight then I would even be out of HIS league. (I took that as a bit of a compliment, but mostly as smack in the face). But then when I said something like, "Yeah, then do you think you could ever fall in love with me?" He said, "Honestly, your more likely to find a true guy who really loves you while you are this size. Someone who will treat you good."

I've thought about that ever since. Yeah, there's something to be said for appearence...heck, even I use to judge guy's weight, but the better of a person I become inside....the less and less I care. Actually, my ex-fiance was skin and bones and I've realized that I'm much more attracted to a bigger guy than a bean pole.

AND....last year I was taking photos at a local highschool basketball game and I saw a guy who I had went to church with as a kid and he looks like your average dork, but now he is married to a gorgeous, could-be-a-model, type girl! At first I was puzzeled, but then I remembered what a really great guy he was....and then it made sense. And I've seen that happen quite a few times. It's all about what's inside! It really is. I think that's part of why so many marraiges fail these days is because society has taught us to be so focused on looks. When you find someone who can love you for who you are now, then and whenever.....that's when you've found true love in my book.

And, as a side note.....I honestly believe that if I hadn't put on the weight when I did, that I would have been married and already divorced a long time ago and I just don't want that for my life. Up until very recently, every guy I was attracted to or fell in love with were all very toxic people and I just never realized how toxic they were until I was made to face it....and even then, I clung onto dangerous hopes.

sorry....I kinda went on a rampage there....heehee.
I've kinda been feeling the itch for a relationship too lately so this is all kinda fresh on my mind, but somehow I've got to maintain my singleness until I'm more stable on several more fronts.

Hugs,
Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All-in-all.....I think that God has a plan for my life and that you never know when a person might come into your life that you're not particularly attracted to, but as you get to know each other....it grows and grows and each person becomes the most beautiful person in the world to you.

one more example of this and then I will stop....heehee

When I was in junior high I made friends with this girl and she was always talking about this guy at her church who she had the biggest crush on and wanted to go out with him. After several weeks of listening to her weekly run-ins with him, she invited me to a church function with her and, of course, he was to be there to so I could she who she'd been going on and on about. Well, when I saw him I almost laughed out loud. I mean....he was like the biggest dork I had ever seen! Well, I liked her church and we had become best friends so I started going there with her for 3 services a week. Well, it didn't take long after being around this "dork" and I was head-over-heels for him. True story. Within a pretty short time...he had gone from one of the most unattractive guys to one of the most desireable. And I started chasing. I eventually caught him and we dated for a while, but he was all personality and no substance and we split shortly after. But do you see my point?

Beauty is ALL in the eye of the beholder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

My son was doing very well on Respiridol. It's not always recognized as a treatment for bipolar by the lay community, but, doctors do give it for treatment. I've not seen my son do as well, as when he was on it.
The doc at the prison hospital won't give it to him, now...

Having said all that, his original doc that diagnosed him and put him on the Respiradol was talking about changing him to Depakote. Don't know why. I thought he was doing very well on the Respiradol.

Good luck to you!
Shalom!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again, Jenna.
Once again, your words have cut through all my mental B.S. and allowed me to see a different point of view. I guess my self-esteem is just low these days. After my divorce I was forced to move back home to my mom and dad's house. With the seven dollar an hour paycut I've taken in the past five years ( which amounts to more if you add in the increase in medical and dental coverage costs), plus child support, and student loan payments. along with my other bills, I just can't afford a place of my own. I live with my parents, I live from paycheck to paycheck, I only get to see my one child ( whom I absolutely adore, and who is the center, and joy, of my life) one and a half days a week, I'm a Recovering Alcoholic and Addict, and I'm Dual Diagnosed. Now, on top of everything else, I have the weight gain. I just don't feel like I have much to offer a woman in a relationship right now; except 110% of my heart. That's just not good enough for most. Who wants to take on a charity case? The man is supposed to be the provider, that's the way I was raised; not the other way around. Thanks, as always, for your kind words and prayers.

Historyteach,
I have been on Risperdol for about a year. Unfortunately I was one of those individuals destined to develop one of the rarer, and quite a bit more embarassing, side effects of the drug; bedwetting. The doctor had to place me on Flomax and Detrol to try to counteract my, now overactive, bladder. Since stopping the Risperdol all but about 5% of my symptoms have disappeared. All I'm left with now is an overwhelming feeling of a need to urinate on occasion. I'm too young to be wearing a Depends Pad to bed each night; and the thought of trying to explain that situation to a future female partner just totally freaks me out. I'd rather be viewed as manic than viewed as a bedwetter!

Thanks to both of you for your advice.
God bless.
TheLazarusman
Old 01-11-2006, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
PATIENCE

i was diagnosised manic depressant when i was 16 they tried alot of drugs on me. but a word of caution if you are prescribed anti-depressants and you bi-polar they can send you into a major manic episode it took them years to figure that one out,but this is what worked for me seroquel and yes when you first start taking it you will feel messed up but after a week or so it levels out you body gets use to it, neurontin also worked for me. depokote is a great drug but can cause weight gain but has low side effect. with neurontin and seroquel they dont need to monitor your levels which is anoter good thing
Old 01-11-2006, 07:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

you are right....anti-d's alone can cause bring on manic episodes. I guess even though I've never had a really horendous manic episode that doesn't mean it can't ever happen. I just know that I can't live my live on a non-functioning level just "in case". That's for me personally anyway....and I don't suggest it for anyone who suffers more from manias than depressions.

Seraquel....an anti-psychotic....made me crave sugar and chocolate like nothing I've ever seen. Always hungry. I just couldn't get enough sugar. I was on it for several months and the severe cravings didn't go away until I got off that med....but as is often the case....these sugar cravings could have been stress induced or something else and it might have just been coincidence that the cravings calmed when I stopped the Seraquel??? I'm never totally sure about these things.

Just thought of something Randy???????? In your initial post you mentioned vision problems while on two different meds. I know that is a commom side-affect, but did you know that blurred vision and fatigue can also be caused from diabetis (sp?)...? Have you ever had that checked....or checked lately? Diabetis also can cause weight gain and other things similar to our mental illness....

Which reminds me...I need to try and get my results from my bloodwork tomorrow after work.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jenna,
I've wondered for some time if I am diabetic. The last time I talked to my doctor about it he said he had already tested me for it though. I'm going to ask him about it again next Friday. Thanks for reminding me.
TheLazarusman
Old 01-11-2006, 09:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
anyone who ever had a dream

Originally Posted by historyteach
My son was doing very well on Respiridol. It's not always recognized as a treatment for bipolar by the lay community, but, doctors do give it for treatment. I've not seen my son do as well, as when he was on it.
The doc at the prison hospital won't give it to him, now...

Having said all that, his original doc that diagnosed him and put him on the Respiradol was talking about changing him to Depakote. Don't know why. I thought he was doing very well on the Respiradol.

Good luck to you!
Shalom!
I take Risperdal; it's the best drug on the market, I think. Works for mania, psychosis, anxiety, depression & ADHD. The only side effect I experience is drowsiness. Which is good because I have difficulty falling asleep, anyway.

I wish you luck. Finding the right medication can be so so difficult, so I know where you're coming from. I tried a bunch before I settled on Risperdal.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, I went and got my blood test results last night and everything was perfect except for my blood sugar and my blood cells. Apparently my cells are small which means they are new, which means my body is having to reproduce more cells than what it should be....other than that....I know nothing about that. And my blood sugar was fine the day of the test (and yesterday too), but my gluclose level (which tells you the average of your blood sugar over the last 3 months) showed that I was twice as high as I should be. So that means....

I am borderline diabetic. Which...the more I learn about it all, the more everything makes sense to me.

Just thought I'd share.

Ask your doc if he is checking your gluclose level or just your blood sugar levels?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This has been a great thread to read through! I'm new here and I suppose one way to get to it is to get to it!

So me...I'm a 27 yo male diagnosed as bi-polar depressive. I'm also a now sober addict/alcoholic. A huge barrel of fun, I'm telling ya!

I've been on Paxil and Risperdal now for over a year and I have to admit that the Dr. must have nailed it the first time. Aside from some weight gain, an occasional bed wetting (wow, embarrasing!), and only a slightly decreased libido these drugs are working wonders.

Something i have noticed now is that depending on the time of day i take my Paxil it will affect my tiredness and my eating. Over the last month I've been taking both my meds at night and didn't know why I've been more tired, taking more naps and sleeping longer as well as being hungry all the time. I finally realized today that it was because i'd switched to taking both at night instead of jhust the Risperdal.

Tomorrow is day one of the switch back to morning Paxil so cross your fingers that I can drop these added pounds and be less tired!

this is a great place, I', lucky to have found you all. Thanks much for having me!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I'm new at this too so hear goes I was diagnosed in 2002 for Bi-Polar and this is 2006 and I'm just now getting to feel normal if there is such a word or meaning of the word!!! I also am an addict and alcoholic Recovering may I add.. And it's a pain in the tail but hang in there and you will eventually find something that works for you!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 04:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm on 60mg of Strattera and 60mg of Cymbalta for depression and ADD, which I take each morning, along with 300mg of Trileptal for the bi-polar. At night I take an additional 600mg for bipolar. It makes me sleep well. I was tired for awhile during the day, but after about a month I was fine.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sinner... Tonia... Annie...
A warm welcome to Sober Recovery..
Old 01-25-2006, 06:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Bikewench. Since that above was my first post to this forum, think I should say how I got here. I have nearly, one day at a time, 9 years of AA recovery. My antidepressant was changed in January, and to a make a horrible long story short, I went on a massive shoplifting binge and got caught. Not even anything I really needed of wanted. Two felonies were reduced to one misdemeanor with suspended jail time. I blessedly did not lose my security clearance. I got treatment, meds corrected for bipolar II. I'm still in shock from it all, and my parents. I can't imagine what all this was for them, picking up their 43 year daughter in jail. I feel lucky as mental illnesses go I have a treatable one. I feel better than I ever have now that I am stable. So here I am, and I only need to get through today.