SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Mental Health (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/)
-   -   5-htp (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/79830-5-htp.html)

hopealwayz 12-13-2005 10:36 AM

5-htp

Has anyone ever tried the supplement 5-htp? I have read that the 5-htp converts into serotonin and helps to relieve depression. I ordered 2 bottled of these supplements and I took 2 last night before I went to bed. I got nauseous and starting vomiting after an hour. I read that this is one of the side effects of taking these supplements but it should pass after about a week.
I took one this morning instead of 2 and still feel a bit sick.

Has anyone else ever tried 5-htp supplements?

shutterbug 12-13-2005 02:21 PM

Nope....never heard of it....but keep us updated...;)

susane1408 12-13-2005 03:02 PM

Hi Hope,
My fiancé takes it; he's an alcoholic and been in recovery nearly six months.
He's suffered from depression and PTSD for some years, he started taking 5-HTP soon after coming out of the detox clinic and it seems to be working well for him.
He has had no side effects from it, maybe you started on too high a dose for you.
Try starting with lower doses and work up to the correct one, it's also recommended that you take it at night as it helps you get a better quality of sleep.

hopealwayz 12-13-2005 07:48 PM

Each capsule is 100 mg and the bottle says to take 1-2 per day. I only took 1 today and felt slightly weird and I am thinking that the 50 mg capsules may have been better but I think that after a week or 2, my body should adjust to the 5-htp.
I have heard that it takes about 2-4 weeks to really feel the effects from it. I hope that is true.
This depression has taken its toll on me but I am looking forward to healing my mind, body, and soul.

pedagogue 12-13-2005 07:57 PM

Never heard of it.

-p

susane1408 12-14-2005 04:35 AM

Some information for those that are interested:)

<CENTER>5-HTP Uses, Dosage, Side Effects & Contraindications

</CENTER>

What is 5 HTP

5 HTP is the metabolic precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. Tryptophane, an essential amino acid, is metabolized into 5-HTP by the body. 5 HTP is in turn, converted into the neurotransmitter Serotonin. Serotonin is is responsible for mood, hunger and sleep. Antidepressant drugs approved by the FDA, including selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI's) such as Prozac, are said to work by increasing the amount of serotonin available to the brain. 5 HTP, therefore, may for some individuals, serve as a natural alternative to some prescription SSRI type drugs like Prozac.

Supplementing either Tryptophane or 5 HTP increases Serotonin levels by supplying more of the building block material needed to make this neurotransmitter. Low levels of Serotonin have been associated with depression, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, altered mood, insomnia, PMS, and headaches. Both tryptophane and 5 HTP are sometimes used as nutritional support for these conditions. 5 HTP is about five times more potent than Tryptophane for this application.

5 HTP for Mood Elevation and Depression and Panic Attacks

According to medical journals and reviews it ihas been proven that 5 HTP helps improve moods of depressed patients and helps panic attacks. The same sources generally recommended that more research on 5 HTP should be done before claims were made.

5 HTP for Sleep and Weight Loss

5 HTP may aid in weight loss and improve sleep patterns for some individuals. Research suggests that good serotonin levels may reduce apetite thereby assisting in weight loss. Serotonin is converted into melatonin in the pineal gland and melatonin, in turn, regulates sleep cycles. The theory is that if 5 HTP can increase serotonin levels, it may be able to improve sleep and aid in weight loss. In the medical articles reviewed, positive results have been reported but the authors caution that more research is needed before claims can be made.

<CENTER>5 HTP Dosage

</CENTER>

As with all nutritional supplements or medications, individual response is a variable. It is clear that large excesses of serotonin in the peripheral circulation can cause cardiovascular disease and other adverse effects. Too much 5 HTP in the diet could potentially result in too much serotonin in the peripheral circulation.

Some sources suggest that 5 HTP can be safely used as a nutritional supplement at a dosage of up to 100 milligrams (mg) per day. Some authorities maintain that much larger dosages can be consumed without adverse effects. Some also suggest that 5 HTP, especially in larger doses should be used with the prescription drug carbidopa. The purpose of this drug is to prevent the 5 HTP from being converted to serotonin in the peripheral circulation.

<CENTER>5 HTP Precautions & Side Effects

</CENTER>

<CENTER>

</CENTER> 5 HTP is available without prescription and is generally considered safe and may be beneficial to many individuals. Contraindications to 5 HTP use or conditions under which 5 HTP use should only be under the supervision of a physician are:
  1. Cardiovascular Diseases (high blood pressure, post-stroke, post-heart attack)
  2. Extremely Elderly Persons
  3. those with Parkinsons Disease, Cancer or Autoimmune Diseases (Scleroderma, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus)
  4. Lung Diseases
  5. Chronic Alcoholism
  6. Liver diseases (hepatitis or cirrhosis)
  7. parasitic infection
  8. AIDS
  9. Anorexia Nervosa
  10. Low protein Diets
  11. Allergies (severe)
  12. Myalgia (persistent pain and weakness of the muscles)
  13. Peripheral Neuropathy (pain weakness of the muscles)
  14. Rash or Flushing
  15. Edema
  16. Nausea
  17. Diarrhea
  18. Sickle cell anemia
  19. Hemophilia
  20. Pregnancy

Concurrent drug use: 5 HTP should not be used if taking:
  1. Anti-depressant drugs
  2. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
  3. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI's e.g., Prozac)
  4. Tricyclic medications
  5. Weight Loss medications (i.e., dextenfluramine)
  6. Anti-parkinson medications (e.g., L-dopa)
  7. Barbiturates and other tranquilizing drugs
  8. Antihistamines and cold medications
  9. Alcoholic beverages
  10. Intravenous (illegal I.V.) drugs
  11. Cancer chemotherapy or
  12. Antibiotic Medications
Alcohol and 5-HTP should not be taken together. Allow at least six hours between use of alcohol and 5 HTP.

Warning: 5 HTP can increase the effect of some tranquilizing drugs.

For more in depth information on the uses and therapeutic possibilities of 5 HTP, read this book:

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle></TD><TD>5-Htp: The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity, and Insomnia by Michael T. Murray, N.D.
Dr. Murray (Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements, Prima, 1996) discusses the relationship between levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin and the symptoms of depression, obesity, headaches, insomnia, anxiety, hyperactivity, premenstrual syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. These symptoms can be alleviated by taking the amino acid 5 HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan). The body converts 5 HTP into serotonin, a neurotransmitter vital for brain function.
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>function popUp(URL,NAME) {amznwin=window.open(URL,NAME,'location=yes,scroll bars=yes,status=yes,toolbar=yes,resizable=yes,widt h=380,height=450,screenX=10,screenY=10,top=10,left =10');amznwin.focus();}document.open();document.wr ite("[img][/img]");document.close();</SCRIPT>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hopealwayz 12-14-2005 09:52 AM

Thanks for posting that information!

Today is my 3rd day taking it. I took 1 100mg capsue a few hours ago and I am not feeling any negative side effects. Maybe my body is finally adjusting.

susane1408 12-14-2005 10:24 AM

Your welcome :) hope it suits you.

hopealwayz 12-22-2005 05:05 PM

I think they are working. I can feel a difference in my mood.
I started taking them on 12/12/05.

shutterbug 12-22-2005 05:14 PM

5 HTP is available without prescription and is generally considered safe and may be beneficial to many individuals. Contraindications to 5 HTP use or conditions under which 5 HTP use should only be under the supervision of a physician are:

Cardiovascular Diseases (high blood pressure, post-stroke, post-heart attack)
Extremely Elderly Persons
those with Parkinsons Disease, Cancer or Autoimmune Diseases (Scleroderma, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus)
Lung Diseases
Chronic Alcoholism
Liver diseases (hepatitis or cirrhosis)
parasitic infection
AIDS
Anorexia Nervosa
Low protein Diets
Allergies (severe)
Myalgia (persistent pain and weakness of the muscles)
Peripheral Neuropathy (pain weakness of the muscles)
Rash or Flushing
Edema
Nausea
Diarrhea
Sickle cell anemia
Hemophilia
Pregnancy

Concurrent drug use: 5 HTP should not be used if taking:
Anti-depressant drugs
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI's e.g., Prozac)
Tricyclic medications
Weight Loss medications (i.e., dextenfluramine)
Anti-parkinson medications (e.g., L-dopa)
Barbiturates and other tranquilizing drugs
Antihistamines and cold medications
Alcoholic beverages
Intravenous (illegal I.V.) drugs
Cancer chemotherapy or
Antibiotic Medications
Doesn't that rule out like 99.9 percent of the population???????????????????????

hopealwayz 12-27-2005 08:32 PM

I woke up this morning and my liver was hurting. I don't know if it is because of the dosage or what it could be. The pain stopped about half way through the day but still feels a bit tender.

My sleep patterns have drastically improved. The supplements have helped me get sleep at night. My dreams are really vivid and intense though but it helps me stay asleep and not wake up at all kinds of odd hours.

After 2 weeks, the supplements have helped me in several ways. I think I may have to decrease the dosage though.

sugarssweetpea 12-27-2005 09:08 PM

Where can you get it? Is it a herb or vitamin supplement? Can you take it while breastfeeding?

meli2005 12-28-2005 08:20 PM

Maybe try taking it with food to see if that makes it easier for your stomach to handle.

miss communicat 01-01-2006 12:20 PM

I found that 50 mg a day is better than 100, and to take it before bed not in the morning.

But it definitely works for me. Thanks for the thread on this supplement

Bozo 01-01-2006 04:41 PM

I Read

Do not take this supplement if you are taking Zoloft, Paxil, or any SSRI.

I dont know why, I am just repeating what the article said.

shockozulu 01-08-2006 02:48 PM

Took this stuff once. I went into what, I assume, an acid trip feels like. It was horrible.

However, your mileage may vary.

Bozo 01-08-2006 03:01 PM

I Stand Corrected

Originally Posted by Bozo
Do not take this supplement if you are taking Zoloft, Paxil, or any SSRI.

I dont know why, I am just repeating what the article said.

According to the Physicians Desk Reference book there is no problem between taking 5HTP and an SSRI. This is noted in the book The Diet Cure by Julia Ross on page 125.

2dayzmuse 01-08-2006 03:06 PM

Wow, I have never heard of this. It sounds like you should be careful with this stuff Cheryl. The side effects don't sound good. Maybe you should discuss these supplements with your doctor.

Bozo 01-09-2006 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
Wow, I have never heard of this. It sounds like you should be careful with this stuff Cheryl. The side effects don't sound good. Maybe you should discuss these supplements with your doctor.

You know I just wanted to point out from my own personal experience that a medical doctor is OK to discuss combos of meds and herb supplement. BUT I have noted that quite often they are SKEPTICAL and CLOSED MINDED to trying natural cures.

I really think the best route to go is with a psych. doctor.

Just as you can get good info on the internet, there is also a lot of misinformation out there as well.

Just my two cents.