Notices

Muscle spasms/muscle jerks/body jerks

Old 09-07-2005, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Unhappy Muscle spasms/muscle jerks/body jerks

Ok, wasn't sure how to title this, because I'm not sure what they really are..
But I am going to explain what they are, thn tell you my problem..

Ya know at night, when you first fall asleep, and once in a while, your whole body jumps, and it wakes you up?? Ok, that's the feeling I am talking about here. I don't know if they are muscle spasms, or what..

Ok, the problem..
At night, when I start to relax, and begin to get tired, I have these jerks.. Not when I am in bed, they begin early like say about 7pm. I don't go to sleep most night until at least 2am...
It is REALLY uncomfortable.. I am really getting depressed over this. Because I just can't handle night time anymore. I have so many problems sleeping, the doctors have me on a bunch of meds for my sleep, and for other reasons, and this has been going on for at least a month now.. I can't stand it anymore.. seriously..
I am going to call the doctor, but I really dread that, because he'll mess with all y meds again, and I hate that.
I did start takig Amityptiline about 6 weeks ago, and I am wondering if that's what the problem is??
Anyone ever experience anything like this before? I would GREATLY appreciate anything anyone has experienced, if it's similiar to this..

Thank you,
Love, Becky
Old 09-07-2005, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Becky,
There is something called Restless Leg Syndrome. Check it out on the internet, and let me know if you feel the same.
Mendingheart
Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi mending. Thanks for the reply.
My husband has Restless Leg Syndrome, he suffers with that. Especially if he ges over tired. That's not the same thing that I have though. It's hard to explain. But it's my whole body and it just like, jumps.. or jerks. So uncomfortable.
Thanks though for taking the time to reply. I do apreciate it very much..
I hope to figure out what's wrng this time.. I am sooo tired of this..

Thanks again.
Love, Becky
Old 09-07-2005, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heard it all before

Could it be a side effect of one of the medications you take? You should check that. Sometimes it isn't listed on the top of the list of side effects because it is one of the less common ones, you never know. I take Neurontin for neuropathy and it gives me jerks in my legs and arms and sometimes I get a very restless feeling like I want to move my legs or I'm just about to, very weird feeling. But I know it is a side effect of my medication.
I can imagine how annoying and unsettling this must feel for you. I hope it gets better.
Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Angel....

It seems like it's a common ailment...
just google body twitches and all kinds of stuff comes up....

I hope this helps in some way...

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/mental...ges/32926.html

http://www.rxlist.com/rxboard/ultram...rames;read=449

http://www.rxlist.com/rxboard/zoloft...rames;read=976

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_423b.html
Old 09-07-2005, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Angelgirl,

When my major depression starting hitting me full-force and I got on meds for the first time....I developed the restless leg syndrom and tremors. My body would just shake all the times (but the more stressed, the more I would shake). Got to where I even had troubles holding a glass or a pencil some times. I asked my superman of a Pdoc about the shaking and could it be from meds and he said no...and that he didn't know why I was shaking. I just started accepting it even though I couldn't explain it.

During the whole of my major depressive episode I was dealing with a horrible work environment that hat me stressed to the max. They were trying for months to fire me becaue of taking medical leave for my depression/bipolar disorder.

They finally fired me in April...AND GUESS WHAT GIRL!!! Two weeks later I was no longer shaking at all. No restless legs, no tremers nothing! I had finally found my answer to it all....it was all STRESS INDUCED.

Don't know if that might be a part of your situation or not. I just thought I would share. And I do know the kinds of whole body jerks you are describing. I usually have one or two every night when I'm relaxing. I rarely jerk after I fall asleep....always when I'm awake so it freaks me out too. I get scared that maybe it's early warning signs for Parkinsen's Disease (you know...what Michael J. Fox has) or something like that.

I've just kinda blown if off cause I have so many things going on in my life that need my attention AND because i'm not having the degree of problems you are with it...but if you figure anything out...let me know...cause I would like to know too.

God Bless,
Jenna
Old 09-07-2005, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Thanks our big secret, for the response. I have considered my medication being the cause of this. I think it's my amitriptyline I take. I think. I have a terrible memory, and I can't remember when exactly they started. I was even really angry with myself because I saw 2 docotrs for sure since this started and I FORGOT ( I just don't know how I forgot, it is SO uncomfortable, but of course it happens at night, and I sae both doctors during the day, but still, I shoul dhave remembered)..
I am going to call the doctor, I just fear them saying, like they usually do
" Gee, I don't know what would be causing that " ,,,, even if it is a side effect they should know. I don't want to go through a hundred other tests.. Gosh, they might find something else wrong with me.
My thinking is so sick..
Thanks so much..
Love, Becky
Old 09-07-2005, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Thanks bike., You truly have a very, very kind heart... I have seen that over, and over again.
I looked through them, and it does seem to be common. They didn't really tell me anything, but what they did tell me was really what I needed to hear tonight. That it is a common problem, and probably not some weird ailment that I'm gonna die from tomorrow..
I do believe it's my medication.
Thanks much,
Love,
Becky
Old 09-07-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Jenna
I do truly live a stress filled life. Some of it is self-induced stress. I have pretty bad, anxiety, depression, and panic attack issues.
But I think this is about my medication..
I's just so darn uncomfortable.. I can't stand it. Tonight was my tear filled breaking point.. I just could not see going through another night feeling so terrible..
But posting this has helped me some. I still have the jerks, but I have more peace of mind.
Thanks for your response..
I will let you know, when I hear from the doctor
Love, Becky
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same thing happens to me!

Hi Becky, I know it has been years since this post but I am going through the same thing.. I haven't mentioned it to my doctor because like you, I am on a lot of medications. My body twitches when I relax.. It is more annoying than anything. It wakes my partner up if she is sleeping, I also hate night time. I am up until 2am, sometimes later. I was wondering if you also got night sweats? I never have taken amitrityline. So I know my jerks/twitches are not medication related. I hope you have figured out what causes yours and maybe can lend me some advice, or insight on how you manage them.

Thanks,
Kayley
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This one got my attention. I typically read more on the alcohol or recovery forums but your thread title sounded all to familiar to me. I began experiencing something very similar during the last 6 months of my "drinking career". It was one of the new symptoms that really got my attention and helped me to get serious about stopping.
The great news is that they quit soon after I stopped drinking. I don't mean to assume or imply that this is your issue as I see no indication that you drink in your post. However, maybe it does lead some credence to the idea that presciption drugs may be able to cause this since in my case alcohol certainly did.

I just realized this is a fairly old post. I hope others have found some relief from this. I feel for you and know how concerning and frustrating it can be. Wishing you all comfort and healing.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happier... I don't drink.. I have been in recovery from an opiate addiction for 10 months.. It started after detox.. For me anyways.. I don't know about the one who started this forum.. I am starting to think I have night time tics.. I can't seem to find any information that really defines what it could be. I also was drawn in by the title and knew exactly what she was talking about. If there was anything in particular you did other than quit drinking for your tics to stop please let me know.

Thanks,
Kayley
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't assume you or the other posters drank. Just wanted to try to share my experience because the symptoms seemed so similar.
Fortunately for me, when I quit drinking I also started working out more (Crossfit), eating a low glycemic diet and ultimately lost quite a bit of weight. I really don't think those things are a factor with the spasms but they were a part of the process/timing so who knows. ??

I couldn't stick to a strict Paleo diet but I trend towards that way of eating. I've read that it has solved lots of allergic or other reactions caused by more modern diets. I don't know. Just thinking out loud since you asked. I am glad I did these things even if they didn't help with the tics since the other benefits are mentally and physically enjoyable.

Hope you find what works for you.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

jolts

hey, I was just curious if you ever found out what this was. I am a recovering heroin addict, and I thought I was the only person that this happened to. It just keeps getting worse and worse. It kinda feels like it does if someone was going to push you off of something, I'm not sure if that even makes sense. My body jolts, and I gasp for air. I've never brought it up to a doc, but now it's starting to scare me because in all honesty I'm afraid it's never gonna get better.
Any input would be awesome
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience with your question, but welcome to SR JBarr

D
Old 03-05-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dismember

I've had these twitches too. There's actually a few reasons in my case why I've had them:

I have epilepsy, and I get a type of seizure that causes them.

I've also had them from both starting and stopping some psychiatric/neurologic medications.

I also had them seemingly come on after drinking binges.

No doctor's suggested to me it could be Restless Leg Syndrome... yet... but that's a possibility. Neurological stuff is weird since so many parts are all interconnected. That also makes it tricky to figure out what's causing what.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hypnic jerks!

They’re called Hypnic jerks. They’re very common, google it, you’ll be like, that’s exactly it! As far as what helps with them, I do know detoxing brings them on more strongly, but they are a natural body response even for someone who is not detoxing. I’d seek the advice of your doctor if they’re that constant and disruptive.

Originally Posted by angelgirl View Post
Ok, wasn't sure how to title this, because I'm not sure what they really are..
But I am going to explain what they are, thn tell you my problem..

Ya know at night, when you first fall asleep, and once in a while, your whole body jumps, and it wakes you up?? Ok, that's the feeling I am talking about here. I don't know if they are muscle spasms, or what..

Ok, the problem..
At night, when I start to relax, and begin to get tired, I have these jerks.. Not when I am in bed, they begin early like say about 7pm. I don't go to sleep most night until at least 2am...
It is REALLY uncomfortable.. I am really getting depressed over this. Because I just can't handle night time anymore. I have so many problems sleeping, the doctors have me on a bunch of meds for my sleep, and for other reasons, and this has been going on for at least a month now.. I can't stand it anymore.. seriously..
I am going to call the doctor, but I really dread that, because he'll mess with all y meds again, and I hate that.
I did start takig Amityptiline about 6 weeks ago, and I am wondering if that's what the problem is??
Anyone ever experience anything like this before? I would GREATLY appreciate anything anyone has experienced, if it's similiar to this..

Thank you,
Love, Becky