Notices

ANXIETY- how do other's deal with this.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ANXIETY- how do other's deal with this.

Booze, burns ,pain, divorce, major depression, C- PTSD plus all of the other labels and stuff. I di mindful meditation, art, journal to cope. Plus of course meetings, sponsor, counselling, anti-d,GP check ups. Anxiety for me comes at times with almost a rush- never predictable often very fatiguing to overcome.

How do other's deal with their anxiety?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Ive had it all my life. Realized I was self medicating with booze to
Cover it up. Went to dr got on low dose of lexapro and wellbutrin (anti anxiety/depressent) Take exactly as prescribed. Seems to help a lot along with meetings, working steps etc. Hope to get off meds eventually if I can but I will take them over drinking to oblivion any day.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agreed
Old 04-23-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pj, you are doing lots of good things. I wonder, though, if you are getting any exercise? Perhapsa fun physical activity, a group thing, dance class, zymba, water sport, running....might be beneficial in a lot of ways?

I sleep a lot better too, when I exercise.
Something fun ...maybe a volunteer group in an area that you are interested in?
hugs...
Old 04-23-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks chic- that thought has slowly been reeking in my mind- perhaps a sign from above
Old 04-23-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Something I do is to "lay off the caffeinated beverages" - no coffee, and limited tea and chocolate - for me anyway, that reduces unnecessary physical stimulations that can be perceived as emotional/mental stresses.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gentle exercise, walking, yoga, swimming, helps me with anxiety, PJ. Andcalming breaths.
It's a bear though. Like many, I used to use alcohol to de-stress and calm my anxiety.
Bad idea.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From the posts- am going to make walking part of this. Suppose have been avoiding- because of my burns i fatigue easily, but reisitance stuff is important too. Thanks .
Old 04-23-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There ya go!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteveAlex View Post
Ive had it all my life. Realized I was self medicating with booze to
Cover it up. Went to dr got on low dose of lexapro and wellbutrin (anti anxiety/depressent) Take exactly as prescribed. Seems to help a lot along with meetings, working steps etc. Hope to get off meds eventually if I can but I will take them over drinking to oblivion any day.
Same here, SteveAlex. My mom was super anxious and as a kid, I just figured that was how life was.

I too am on an antidepressant (weaning off as we speak) and have some anti-anxiety meds that I take only when needed. And the longer I'm sober, the less often that is.

Agree too, that taking the meds (again, as directed) over drinking is so much better for me.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I've had anxiety all my life and I think it was at it's worst in my 40's, especially when I wasn't working my spiritual program anymore.

Exercise (weight training) and paying attention to how I'm thinking helps me. Once a thought got going in my head and had a good hold in there, then that was difficult to get out of.

However, and this is just my own experience, the biggest thing I noticed for myself was that several months after I had made changes to my diet (based on Paleo), I noticed that my anxiety and depression were almost completely gone. Coincidence? I really don't know.

Of course that all came back with my relapse, but I felt better again after I went back to sobriety.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, exercise is really important...yesterday I ran in the pouring rain just to take the edge off. I understand!

Sending you a big hug.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I grew up on a farm, so I was oblivious to anxieties or depression. In the last few years I figured out it runs in my family as did/does medicating with alcohol. It took me til now to figure that out cause I moved away and never really observed any of the relatives. They were fine when I saw them at Christmas for the most part, but never put two and two together back then.

Today, exercise is a great help. So is having happy thoughts or happy activities. I run and bike. But my happy thoughts are creating.....I rebuilt a 1970 GTO, I'm creating a backyard with flowers and plants, writing music, anything that makes you smile. When yesterday was hitting tough moments....I was out looking at the new plants coming up....it helped.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
In my first two years of recovery I took a prescribed SSRI for my anxiety. Nowadays what I find most helpful is being outdoors whether it's sunny, rainy, or cloudy, along with walking and bicycling, a healthy diet, and activities I enjoy. Yesterday I strapped my fishing gear onto my motorcycle and went trout fishing at 2:30 AM. It turned out to be a beautiful day and I'll be eating trout for dinner every night next week
Old 04-23-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great posts. My biggie is art- always thinking of the next masterpiece. It helps me understand what I feel about stuff. Much more than words can express.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What helped me the most so far is running. It helps with any kind of bad moods. I worry a lot too. Not so much when I run. If you can't do that then walking might be good, or swimming maybe if it's possible?

Another thing that is a bit embarrassing maybe, but listening to music and singing helps me too. I only do that when I'm home alone though.

Art is helpful when I just want to relax my brain, it's my way of meditation.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
under new management

(((PJ)))

When I see your posts, I am reminded of your incredible back story. And, I wonder, how do you do it?

You are one of those few, that against all odds, are here, offering support and lifting people up.

I hope you are able to turn your compassion inward, as well.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Come join us in the road to summer thread i think its road to winter south of the equator but we all encourage & help each other
Old 04-23-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's already been suggested but walking is very helpful to me; thankfully I love it and can walk forever.

What about swimming?

❤️
Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey PhoenixJ someone posted this link for anxiety calming music this morning on Facebook. I'm not a music person and a depressive not anxious so I can't say it did much for me but heck, may be worth giving a try.

Neuroscientists Discover a Song That Reduces Anxiety By 65 Percent (Listen)

The link takes you to a place with a lot of ads to close down which is a bit irritating.