Notices

ADD, Zoloft and Alcohoholsim

Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ADD, Zoloft and Alcohoholsim

Hi,

I am in need of a bit of guidance..

I take Vyvance 70mg and took Prozac for a couple of months, but it was not having a good impact. My Dr. moved me to Zoloft and for the first few days, I felt a positive change but slowly things seem to be diminishing a bit. The positive changes I noticed were :

1. Increased energy - I was able to go running a few times
2. Concentration and productivity- a good improvement
3. Sleeping normally, eating more normally

Generally I felt noticeably better than before.

After day 4, it started to slide a bit,

1.I was procrastinating more again, although I was not in an environment where I can focus properly.
2. I stopped running/exercising
3. Much sleepier- need to take a daytime nap
4. Appetite increased significantly.
5. I started to feel more depressed again

Should I take it as a good sign that it had a positive benefit initially, and now my body is adjusting and it will take a while for it to go back to having the positive impact again? Someone mentioned that this might be the case?

Also, I should also mention that I am in AA and have been sober for over 6 months, but my body is still going through changes. After about month 3 I started eating a lot more sugar at night (chocolate/muffins before bed and do not drink as much water) The rest of my diet is generally healthy.

I just wish I knew what I should be doing or if because the first few days were good, I should ride it out? Also, any guidance on how I should adjust my lifestyle would be appreciated.

Please note, I slept for 8 hours last night and got up at 10am this morning. It's now 1;30pm and I'm going to need to take a nap for an hour.

Thanks,
Old 03-26-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi S, I haven't been on Zoloft.

It is a difficult call whether to stick with a med or try something else. Antidepressants are such a shot in the dark but work for many of us.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's worth discussing with Doc for sure. These meds take a while to work properly. Any initial reaction that diminishes may be a clue as to what will work best for you.

Meds are a trial and error process. No other way to go about it. The good news is, it sounds like you'll find something that works.

For my ADD and depression, I found Strattera to be the best med. It's super expensive though. Maybe your insurance will cover it better than mine. And maybe there's a generic now?

At the end of the day, though, I'd pay very close attention to what you fuel your body with. Sugar strips dopamine from your body. A high protein, low sugar / carb diet will help a lot.

Nowadays, I take wellbutrin and Adderall as need. I've been able to reduce Adderall to 1-2 days every other week or so. But I am very diligent with eating protein on every meal. I also have protein shakes so I can still get my fix if I can't eat.

Your body needs amino acids to make dopamine, seritonin, etc. Amino acids comes from protein. I've noticed a marked difference in my days since I started paying attention to what I eat.

I read the book "The mood cure" by Julia Ross. It covers the importance of amino acids for emotional well-being. I learned a lot from it. Check it out.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From my own experience, I was started on the smallest dose and moved up slightly more every two weeks until it seemed to be working at it's best.
You can talk to your doc about it and they may adjust your dose.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't take advice from play doctors the book AA says never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist!!!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was on zoloft for about 2 days. I got really agitated so my psychiatrist told me to stop it immediately and put me on EFEXOR-XR had no problem with that and have been on it for years now