Notices

mentally ill

Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mentally ill

I'd like some input from you all out there....please..
I married a man 5 years ago (2nd marriage for both) he has 2 sons. One of them is 24, mentally ill (bi polar and schizpophrenic) and deaf. He's off his court ordered medication (but on illegal drugs) and is very dangerous, yet my husband gives him money, pays his rent and bought him a car. I'm not sure who more mentally ill...what sane person would do that?!! He's went to jail for kicking in our door and trying to hurt us but it's like my husband is the weakest most pathetic person on earth in this situation. I've already decided to leave him, but it's going to take some time to save up enough to get out of this situation. But what I'd like is to hear from anyone out there that knows about dealing with the mentally ill, he's too old to be "put" somewhere...and he's not going to check himself in anywhere... so what is a person to do? just wait till he kills someone?
Old 02-05-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. That does sound like a really rough situation from your husband enabling him. Unfortunately as you know they can not be forced to be on medication or in a mental ward unless they are a direct threat to themselves or others, and even then they often let through the cracks.
I think the best answer to this situation you've already answered is to get yourself out of there asap, perhaps stay with a friend or family member until you can get back on your feet.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by immarriedtoalos View Post
He's off his court ordered medication . . .
Depending on how afraid, serious, willing you are:

If he's not following what the court has ordered, he's in contempt of court. Judges take that as a big deal.

What is the process for the court/legal system to make sure he is in compliance? An easy way to get information on that is to call your county's Clerk of Court. They are generally very supportive and helpful. [Just don't call on Mondays or Fridays]

You can always have him committed for observation. This is actually so easy that it's kind of scary. Again, your best source of info for how to go about this is you Clerk of Court. [Where I am, you basically only need 2 people to swear/sign that they have serious concerns.]

Yet another option my be to call a lawyer who deals with family issues. Most lawyers will give you a consultation for free or for a drastically reduced fee.

Best wishes.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depending on what state you live in, you can start a process for having someone evaluated to be committed if they are a safety threat to themselves or to others. It's often the family who gets that process rolling. I don't know, however if your hands are tied if your husband refuses to take any action. In you shoes I'd put safety first and check with the authorities. It is very concerning indeed.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As darkling said, he is in violation of a court order, and that can buy you some time, I think. If he has a probation officer, you might start there. Also, if his action prove he is a danger to himself and/or others, he might qualify for a psychiatric hold for 72 hours--not much time in the grand scheme of things, but as a preponderance of evidence builds, then more help could be provided for the young man.