Notices

Depression and Anxiety in Sobriety

Old 01-02-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Is meditation dificult?I find it very hard to clear my mind. I would like to start it, my concentration is atrocious these days.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I like your poster about the jack russel, I have a sausage dog looks like the same rules applys to him.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks I walk the line here are a set of excellent links related to what you asked

5 Reasons to Be Mindful | DailyGood

Learn Passage Meditation | Blue Mountain Center of Meditation & Nilgiri Press

Breathing Meditations -- learn to meditate using the breath. | Meditation Oasis

http://stopandbreathe.com/2011/03/04...ginners-guide/
Old 01-02-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

soberwolf least some excellent links. The only thing I'll add is mindful meditation is not about clearing your mind. In fact you will definitely have many thoughts going through your mind. The trick is to just let them flow through without giving them any significance and return to your breathing. Read some of the links sw left and it'll start to make more sense.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hi
Old 01-26-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
JD

Hello erfra. What brings you here?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Depression and I don't like it my first time going through sober. This show me that I'm not the only one. Crazy eh!
Old 01-26-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
JD

Originally Posted by erfra7 View Post
Depression and I don't like it my first time going through sober. This show me that I'm not the only one. Crazy eh!
No, you are not alone. Many of us have used alcohol to relieve (numb) the feelings of depression. I know I have for over 30 years. Which is really pretty crazy when you think of it because alcohol is a depressant.

I started this thread to see others experiences and also to post my experiences as I continue my sobriety. And here is where I am today:

I'm 135 days sober and started on an anti-depressant about 6 weeks ago. For awhile I didn't think the antidepressant was working but about 2 weeks ago I did start to notice a difference. In the past I've used antidepressants but I was always drinking and they stopped working after awhile. It's too soon to see if that's going to be the case now.

I've also just started an 8 week mindful meditation class to strengthen what I'm all ready doing in the hopes that it will also help with the depression.

I will say today I'm feeling pretty good and hopeful. I wish I'd started this journey about 30 years ago but that's in the past and I still have the future to look forward to.

So, I'll post here as things develop for my record and hopefully it'll help others also.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I'm trying St. Johns wort and vitamin D, plus omega 3 today is my 2day. My depression start sometimes last October did not notice until I friend of mine broke up with me, few weeks ago, and them it got worse fast. Now I'm in therapy I even let my kids know about.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

jd, I'm glad you're starting to feel some relief.

erfra, Vitamin D was a game changer for me. I had intermittent depression for years and in the winter it was so bad I didn't even want to get off the couch. Even though I was not told to do so by my doctor, I read enough anecdotal evidence to suggest Vitamin D could be helpful, especially to people who live far in the North, like I do. It changed everything for me! Five years into my self-administered Vitamin D regimen, my doctor started telling all her patients to take Vitamin D. I told her I was way ahead of her. I hope it helps you.

I also think a healthy, varied diet with lots of vegetables and low in sugar and caffeine is important. Exercise improves my mood and helps me sleep and I can tell when I need a good long walk.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWalkTheLine View Post
Is meditation dificult?I find it very hard to clear my mind. I would like to start it, my concentration is atrocious these days.
I sit in a chair a breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. I started 5 minutes then 10 then 20. YouTube mark h meditation it's simple but not easty. And the goals is to not quiet your thoughts but calm them he explains it better than me. It's held a lot I show results in a few months
Old 02-02-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
JD

Hey, I found this which has some good stuff. Probably not anything you don't already know but a good reminder.

http://www.nhs.uk/Video/Pages/low-mo...n-podcast.aspx
Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I've had crippling depression in cycles before I started drinking, while I was drinking, and during periods of year where I stopped drinking. I am 16 days sober again and experiencing a bout of depression that is as bad as it's ever been.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Glad you're back, Lili, and I hope that posting here helps with the depression.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My doctor & I agree that we don't really know if the insomnia causes me to feel depressed or if depression is causing insomnia ... At any rate she prescribed trazAdone which causes some sedation so I'm getting a 2-fer.... It is an antidepressant which helps me sleep ... And I don't have any bad side effects...
Old 02-10-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Currently going through this now.

I stopped drinking for 3 weeks, the anxiety was that bad i went out and got drunk. Couldn't take it at all. Trying to drink just once a week.

Seems not to work though anxiety has eased up quite alot only to be covered by ******* depression.

Just started taking Vitamin B hoping that will help along with the change towards the summer.

Fed up.!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Manchester 11 right now I'm taking vitamin D omega and St. John wort and is helping and is natural.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I've dealt with alcohol induced anxiety for a couple of years. It got really bad and that's one of the reasons I quit. I worked really hard this last year with 1. Being sober 2. Reading books by Echart Tolle. 3. Better diet and cardio type exercise. 4. Mindfulness, breathing techniques. I can easily say my anxiety and depression is a none issue now. And if I feel it start to ramp up I have the tools to control it. Remember it's only a thought in your head. And this too shall pass. Be well!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erfra7 View Post
Hi Manchester 11 right now I'm taking vitamin D omega and St. John wort and is helping and is natural.
Ah right, I got the St Johns Wort along with Milk Thistle.

I'll grab sum Vitamin D.

Thanks.

Is it just a supplement or specific D Vitamin?