Notices

Nervous Breakdown

Old 09-03-2004, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous Breakdown

I need help on this, how do you know if you're having a nervous breakdown?

So much is going on in me I am ready to burst, and I'm scared, really scared. I have to take care of everything with my family, and I'm at my wits end, beyond, and my thinking, just can't keep up with it all, I feel I need to fix everything and I just can't ALONE, I've been doing it forever, and trying to keep my sobriety at the same time, which I keep failing at, guess for me it is a relief, I don't even know anymore, just don't. My family history, I have no idea what that is about, but I'm thinking something big is up, it has to be with how I am with everything.

Please help if anyone can, don't know what to do anymore. Thanks
Old 09-03-2004, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Honey...
Have you seen your doctor lately?
What about a therapist.
Are you breathing...don't hold your breath.
If you want me to call you send me your ph# in a pm.
Love you...

August 11, 2004
Fixing A Bad Day
Rescue Toolbox For Coping
When times are tough and you are experiencing stress, it's nice to have some tools you can use to help get through a rough patch, and use on an ongoing basis to make your life a little easier. Perhaps you are trying to quit smoking, or suffering from a broken heart. You might be having trouble at work or school, the traffic is bad, your children are misbehaving - sometimes the whole world seems to be against you. These are issues that most of us are dealing with on a regular basis. It's best to remember you are not alone even though sometimes you feel like nobody understands you. Below is a Rescue Toolbox For Coping - when you are at the end of your rope, open your toolbox, take a breath and take care of yourself.

Call a friend.

Talk about it. Calling a friend that will listen willingly and openly can make all of the difference. Sometimes we feel like we don't want to "dump" on people, but wouldn't you want your friends to call you when they need a friend?

Write about it.

Journal. Get it out of your head and on to paper. This technique can help alleviate stress by getting your thoughts out of your head. You don't even need to save what you have written - in fact it may help you feel better by ripping the paper into tiny pieces and throwing it away.

Take a bath.

Make yourself a bath with sea salt to release and renew. This bath will help cleanse your energy field which is just as important as getting the clutter out of your head. While you are in your bath, imagine all bad thoughts and bad energy going down the drain to Mother Earth.

Walk around the block.

Physical exercise is very important in helping to relieve stress, but many of us don't have a regular routine at the gym or yoga studio. Everybody can make the time for a quick walk, during a break or lunchtime and it makes a world of difference.

Meditate.

Whatever this means to you. Meditation doesn't always have to be sitting in a lotus position or chanting. Sometimes folding the laundry can be a meditation - as can gardening, knitting or cooking. It's important to relieve your mind of daily complications and give yourself quiet time to be still.

Commune with nature.

Getting out into nature in some way is very rejuvenating. It can take any form you like including gardening, walking in the park, riding a horse, watching a sunset, swimming in a lake or taking an leisurely stroll through a field. Enjoy nature on a regular basis, it is very grounding and your soul will sing.

Thank your body.

Thank every cell, organ, muscle and bone in your body for doing such a great job in supporting you. Imagine how your body feels every time you make a negative comment or put your body down. Thank your body and see what an amazing difference it makes in your day and in your life.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hold on Denise. Be strong. Kel you give some excellant advice. I think you need to speak to your doctor Denise. Take some deep breathes and call someone. Grab on to a helping hand.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
spirit

hi denise, you are not alone mate, even though it feels like it. we are all here for you, never forget that ok.

kel has given you some excellant strategies, my favs are writing things down. you are good at writing, it seems to be a bit of a talent you ahve there. you express yourself well when you write here. so take up kel's idea, make a journal, write down what is happening for you. make a list of good and bad things. things you can change things you cant. maybe write a number of journals, for different issues.

writing is a really good way of getting stuff out of your head, especially when your head feels like it is spinning around - i know it works for me!!!

re nervous breakdown - can mean many things to many people. i had a client once, who said in broken english that his wife had broken nerves! i thought that was a better description really. her nerves felt shattered, but not her.

she had lost her 'bottle', strength etc, but knowing that she wasnt mad made her realise she could regain that strength, you will too.

i think it would be good to see the dr, maybe just to have someone to talk to, ring a counselling line, even an AA one, just to vent for a bit. write stuff down.

i hope this helps, try not to dwell on things you cannot change, yes acknowlege that you dont like them etc, but dont let them overwhelm your thnking and 'freeze' your nerve mate. recognise you cannot be everything to everyone all the time, and you especially cannot be those things, if you cannot be yourself first!

hugs to you mate
kath
Old 09-04-2004, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Denise...
How are you doing...
Check in GF
Old 09-04-2004, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hang on Denise!! See your doctor! Going through alcohol withdrawal may be a contributing factor to these intense emotions. You've had a lot on your plate my friend!*hugs*
Old 09-04-2004, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

It's all been said before, especially by Kellie. Please see your doc or therapist. Until then... breathe, meditate, walk, read (if you can at this time).

PM me any time you want. I'm the survivor of multiple "nervous breakdowns".
Old 09-04-2004, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Denise,
Kel gives good advice. I've had a few breakdowns too and just cried my way through them and looked for support from others. Keep posting and let your feelings out. You know you'll get support from us. Stay connected to other people and let us help you.
Sandy
Old 09-04-2004, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone....so sorry about all of this, I just know something is up, so guess that's a good thing being aware of it, and do something before it's to late. Don't think I really know how sick I am, but it's been really hitting me in the face this past while.

I'm breathing, yep was doing the hold my breath thing, funny what our bodies do to us, screaming out for help.

I can't get into my Dr till the end of this month, I made an appointment in the middle of August, Dr shortage here, so I'll hang in till them. Last time I seen him was almost two years ago, and I told him how much I drank and he said it was way to much, so I won't lie to him, I'll tell him how it's progressed and do whatever he suggests.

I think out bursts of crying isn't a good thing, walking into a church I used to go to, and lose total control, yeah something is up. Can't talk on the phone with my kid without losing control, on and on it goes.

Thanks for all your help, please know I want to help you all too, get my stupid thinking back in order.

(((((((Kellie Talia Kath Chy Moot Sandy))))))))
Old 09-04-2004, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Castaway

Thanks for sharing with us, Justme2. I don't think your thinking is stupid at all. I was on an emotional rollercoaster non-stop for months and am just now starting to feel somewhat regulated. I know I couldn't do it without the help of SR. My prayers are with you.
Sandy
Old 09-04-2004, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

All great advice!!! Taking care of you should be your top priority.

"Be gentle with yourself"

"Easy does it"

"Let go and let God"

"One day at a time"

"First things first"

--These are just a few program slogans I have picked up and use them regularly to remind myself how to treat me and how to handle stressful or demanding things.

God Bless,
Jenna
Old 09-04-2004, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I can't get into my Dr till the end of this month, I made an appointment in the middle of August, Dr shortage here, so I'll hang in till them
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'll tell him how it's progressed and do whatever he suggests
Good plan!

Do you have a therapist or at least a helpline? Just someone to talk to? I could probably dig up a helpline for you thru my local helpline. Just let me know. I can't remember (I have no memory, ugh) if you're in AA, Denise. If so, can you talk about emotional things with some of the ppl there? I know I do.

I'm the diametrical opposite of you re the crying...... I can't cry. It used to be channeled into rage, but is now channeled into kind of a numb acceptance.

I knew you were holding your breath

Just remember.... there are lots of ppl here pulling for you.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank You for checking in...we worry about you.
Don't feel bad about crying, maybe if you cry ariver you'll feel better.
I am more like Mooty and wish I could just let go and cry myself a river.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. Taking care of ourselves first, boy oh boy that sometimes is a tough one isn't it? but only makes sense, we aren't much good to anyone falling apart are we? Our thinking going in every which way, and panicing cause we can't fix things.

Crying well this is all new to me, I mean losing it crying, it's awful, can't control it at all, and feel so much worse after. Wish you girls could cry if it made you feel better, we all know bottling things up inside just isn't so good, eventually it explodes in our faces, and we don't know when it will hit us, just BOOM.

Moot, nope I don't have a therapist, I've always thought I could work this out on my own, and the older I get the worse it is, things keep piling up higher and higher and highter, you all know what I mean, just not good. But it is good to finally admit we need help. I just mentioned that to my hubs I need to talk to someone, feel sorry for whoever I get to talk to, cause I know it won't go so well at first, it will be a bunch of mumbo jumbo trying to tell them everything at one time.
AA, I was going and stopped, and real angry about myself about that, it kept me sober for two precious months, and I let those months slide right through my fingers, only to go back and have my drinkng worse now, good old progression. I'm trying so hard to build myself up to going back there, finding it to hard again, and I know I'll never do this on my own especially living with a drinker. He's fully aware of all of this, but he doesn't want to stop, he sees all my torment, and everything I've tried to do to help myself, but it's just not working, driving me literally nuts if anything, can't function right anymore, I think I am, but when I stop and breath and think about it, I know I'm not, and I am scared, real scared. But there is hope isn't there, there is help, so I'll hang in to see my Dr. I'm pulling myself together today, really stopped and thought ok KNOCK it off, other wise, but then again going to the place here for sick people might be good, I'll be the one swinging from the chandeliers, with my finger going up and down on my lips making that noise, if you know what I mean.

Anyway thanks again everyone, I hope you all have peace and some happiness in your lives.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Platinum Member

Red face ((((((Prayers))))))

((((((Denise))))))
My dear sister, I'm so sorry your having such a difficult time right now. I'm sending some prayersyour way to help give you the strength to get thur this difficult time. I wish there were more that I could do to take away the pain your having. Just remember I am always here if you want someone to talk to. Keep having faith in your higher power to help get you thur this terrible time your having. And I agree with the others, I believe a therapist would help you right now. Dont give up, we all love you, and we are pulling for you. Love, your big sis, Bonni ((hugs and prayers))
Old 09-04-2004, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Denise))) Your remain in my thoughts and prayers. You are special. I just wanted you to be able to read those words from someone who means it and cares. Be strong GF. Draw strength from others.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I hope you can get to a therapist...... just getting it out helps! My therapist also does couples councelling. It may be mumbo jumbo at first, but that's what therapists do.

I'll second Talia's "You are special". And say....... try to not forget that cuz we aren't.

Take care, Denise
Old 09-04-2004, 06:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Denise, you're doing the right thing by going to the dr and expressing your concerns. I'm sorry you have to wait so long, but please know that you are not alone. I think this is the right step for you to take.

Love, Anna
Old 09-05-2004, 05:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all of your help. ((((Kellie Talia Kath Moot Chy Anna Bonni Sandy Shudderbug)))))

Guess what? yeah I'm special, just like ALL OF YOU and even more special having found this place, something has brought us all together, all of us on the same mission, fighting for sanity, hope and FREEDOM.

Moot I've read what's happened to you, and my heart broke, still does, but I'm so happy you're moving forward, you go girl, keep that sobriety working for you, this side isn't so good, what it does to us the longer we continue, that amazes me how our personalities change, drags us down so bad. I'm so sorry about what your father said to you Moot, shame on him, shame on anyone who says bad things to their children or their spouses, but I've come to learn it's not our fault, they were or are the one's with the problem, and for some strange reason needed to torment us. We will rise above that Moot, and keep rising, and find happiness.

I feel like part of me is real lost, more so this past few months then before, it's a weird feeling, it's like half of me isn't here right now, if that makes any sense. Nothing like having the wind knocked out of your sails.

Not sure what my Dr will suggest, actually a part of me is nervous, I've only seen him one time, got rid of my other Dr, he was a perv,,,yep no kidding, he put a new meaning to a check up let me tell you, so I just wouldn't go to him unless I absolutely had to. They finally nailed him, (sad part is he's still practicing, Dr shortage here). I hope I can talk real open with this new Dr. and as far as a therapist goes, well that should be interesting, it must be real nerve racking the first time you see this stranger and pour your heart out to them. Good thing they are trained for this, other wise I'd have to really work hard on letting them know I'm not a total lunatic

I hope today brings you all some joy, peace, happiness, some sunshine in your lives. Keep smiling all you special people. I sure love you, have never met, but can feel a bond with you all. We all sit here with our fingers on our keys, knowing our words will reach out to others eyes to see, in hope of helping, wanting so bad to help, and our eyes reading things said to us from the heart, well it's a real warm comforting feeling, knowing we aren't alone, and I'm so grateful, having been so privelaged.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Castaway

I hope today brings you all some joy, peace, happiness, some sunshine in your lives.
Today brought me that and more. It brought me YOU!
Thanks for sharing.