Notices

Introduction

Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hi everyone. I'm new here, hoping to get some healing from depression and struggling with an alcoholic mother. My depression reached full force a little over 6 months ago when I married a wonderful, caring man. My mother and my younger sister don't approve of our relationship (we have a very large age gap, and they focus on that all the time). I guess I had hoped that once he and I were married they'd come around. They haven't. This has sent me into a deep, dark spiral. It also doesn't help that my mom is an alcoholic, and sis makes everything better for Mom (placating, enabling, and the like). They defend each others crappy behavior (like leaving me out of holidays, refusing to be in my wedding, etc). I feel so many bad feelings, like depression, anger, resentment, sadness, grief, because of the situation, and yet, I should be enjoying my new marriage! I have been seeing a therapist once a week for 5 months, and have been on an antidepressant for about 2 months now. At first the antidepressant really helped (bupropion, generic Wellbutrin), but I feel like it doesn't work as well anymore. Thoughts? Has anyone experienced a similar situation? I'm desperate for answers. Thank you for reading.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am also taking Wellbutrin. For me, it changed in the first month or so. I think that is when the intended therapeutic effect start, supposedly. Before that, for me, it acted sort of like a stimulant. You should talk to your therapist about it, of course.

SMART has some exercises that apply to the aggravation of depression. Thoughts that aggravate depression. If you haven't already, it might be worth looking into.

Aside from this forum, there is a forum on this site for friends/families of alcoholics/addicts also.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome HealingME. You'll find a lot of support here on SR, glad you could join us.

Regarding your Depression, it's great that you are seeking treatment - perhaps you could discuss the Med issue with your therapist? Each drug works differently for different people, and sometimes you need to try a different option. Dosing sometimes needs to change too - hope you can find a solution in that respect.

Regarding your Mother, you may want to consider spending some time in the Family and Friends of alcoholics forum here - dealing with an addict in the family is tough, and being around others in the same situation can be helpful.

I don't have depression but I do deal with Anxiety and OCD. One of the things that has been very helpful to me is talk therapy and mindfulness/meditation. It not only helps with my anxiety, but also my recovery and just life in general.

Best of luck to you and hope you can join us for some conversation.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Bob. Yes, I noticed a stimulant effect the first few weeks, jittery, insomnia. I don't have that anymore. I will check out SMART, thank you.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Scott. I have been reading through the friends and family forum. I think I will post my original message there, too. I will try the meditation, I have heard it helps.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum HealingME!!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Healingme youl find tons of support here nice to meet you
Old 08-02-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Welcome to the Forum, HealingMe1015.

I know several people, with loved ones who are alcoholic, who have benefitted from going to Al-Anon:

http://www.al-anon.org/al-anon-in-california

There you may learn more constructive ways of dealing with the alcoholic.

Take care.