Notices

21 days sober, crushing depression

Old 09-21-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days sober, crushing depression

Hi all.
I am suffering with severe depression. It appeared within three days of stopping alcohol intake. (after severe withdrawal symptoms which were over the worst in three days).
I stopping drinking in May - July but was hyper manic. I started to drink to calm myself down.
Prior to stopping 21 days ago I was suffering from extreme agitation which was caused, I think, by any amount of alcohol.

I want to stay stopped but my moods are swinging uncontrollably. I am on a downward spiral of depression at the moment but this could change.

Anyone experienced anything similar in their lives?
Old 09-21-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Yes, a few days after I stopped drinking anxiety and depression set in. I ended up in a mental hospital for a few days of observation, upon leaving I was instructed to stay sober, see a psychiatrist, and work a rigorous program of recovery. 9 years later I'm still sober, and while the depression comes and goes, it takes work to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this and know what you mean by "crushing depression" but I feel it's absolutely imperative to get help from a professional and do something about it.

At first I was prescribed an SSRI to help with the depression. Being around other people in recovery was a huge help and continues to be a necessity. I top it off with sunshine and fresh air, no isolating for me.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

depression is a horrendous condition having suffer from it myself however drink is a depressant and will make your depression ten times worse it isn't easy I'm on day 2 again now and in withdrawal , sweats, shakes already setting in but with determination and support on here and elsewhere your depression should start to shift

are you on any anti depressant medication ?

try some exercise and eating as healthy as you can, lots of water

im jittery also as stopped smoking got no money for tabacco either so may as well go through hell and detox of both xxxx
Old 09-28-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suffer depression too. Especially after drinking. My last relapse sent me into a tailspin when I stopped. I couldn't even leave the house it was so bad.

Hang in there!