Notices

Anntisocial Personality Disorder

Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Sometimes I wished I was a sociopath due to the remorse, guilt, and shame I feel for the things I did while drunk. Can a sociopath get depressed?

Side note: Mark Zuckerberg strikes me a sociopath. Colder than most even.
You have no idea how long I have spent contemplating similar questions in the last few months. Personally, I believe I am not prone to depression, but I'm only 35 and probably most people who have never been seriously depressed believe that. Maybe I'm just lucky, so far.

Regarding guilt, shame, etc: This is an area I am aware makes some people uncomfortable. I go to a lot of meetings and listen to a lot of stories. I see people every day who are devastated by guilt and shame. Sometimes people cry so hard they can't even continue. Do I feel lucky that I'm relatively immune to that kind of pain? Yes, I do. Absolutely. It sounds awful, but after hearing a really horrific story, I experience deep, roiling, heart-buoying gratitude. Being an alcoholic is hard enough on its own, without such nasty emotions to contend with. In this way, I am lucky.

Since babbling about this provides an opportunity to codify my own thoughts, I might point out that I think I *do* experience guilt, but in a reasoned way. When I realize I have done wrong, I apologize, adopting whatever tone I think will be most pleasing and comforting to the person I wronged. I might not be having an emotional response, but I know sincerely I have done wrong and regret it, and carry myself with suitable contrition.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Gargery,
Thanks for getting back. I agree that those with personality disorders probably are more likely to have addictions but, I suspect that with most who do do it as a coping mechanism. Whereas in your case the drinking is more for feeling. Dr. Fallon also has problems with drinking, smoking, eating, etc. After his discovery of his own psychopathy he was formally diagnosed as pro-social psychopath.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My brother fits every symptom of ASPD and he was always going head to head with my Dad and hated him. When our house caught on fire many years ago my dad went back in to salvage some things and he was worrying all of us when he didn't come back out for a while. Even my brother got worried and tried to get him to come out and despite all the chaos I remember realizing he had SOME feeling for our father, not ever shown in normal circumstances. I had a point but I gotta run now