Notices

schizophrenia can you recover

Old 08-01-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question schizophrenia can you recover

Have any of you recovered from schizophrenia ? I talk to my psychologist he said no psychiatrist or psychologist would recommend me to go off medication. I said worse cases have recovered he said yes but they don't know how. I have quit taking my mood stabilizer and anti depressant moods good not depressed very tired from the side effects of the antipsychotic which in a week Ill be switching from deconate shot to pill form reduced from half I was taking that I graudly work down. So far so good he said it was up to me if I wanted to try to get off medication and if I had to be hospitalized cause it went bad they would do it. So I put my trust in GOD that it will be okay but reducing 5% every two weeks gonna take 4 to 6 months. I was first hospitalized at 22 years old I quit my medication then at twenty eight I was hospitalized again first time withdrawing from ephrdra then vicodin then ever since I have beeen on antipsychotics sober four years in AA and was hospitalized 11 times sober on like three episodes of psychosis. Im on disability was a union and non union journymen carpenter but since I started taking medication the side effects kept me from working. Right now im symtom free except side efects of medication.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not a doctor, obviously, but I know of quite a few schizophrenics who have worked out the right medicine combination with their doctors and have gotten to functioning great. I have never heard of anybody going off all meds, though.

It may not relate, but I am on a fairly new anti-psychotic for bipolar II (and its delusions) and have been since 2007. It does not cause weight gain, and does not appear to cause tardive dyskinesia. It does make me drop-dead sleepy, though, so I have to take the whole day's dose an hour before bed. I don't know, however, if that one is often prescribed for schizophrenia.

I wish you all the best. I am sorry that you have been through such a struggle.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi DSM. In short, no. Most schizophrenics will need to be medicated for life. Unfortunately this is a serious and debilitating mental illness, as you well know. I feel it is unkind and rather disingenuous for your therapist to imply you may recover. In all likelihood you won't.

You are symptom free because you are taking your medication. Remission is possible through treatment, but spontaneous recovery is highly unlikely. I'm not trying to be unkind, just trying to adjust your expectations to what is realistic. I know the side effects are rough....AAP's are horrible meds to endure. You just have to decide which sucks less.....having your symptoms return, along with the inevitable hospitalizations....or just taking the meds and putting up with the effects. Only you can make that determination. No reputable psychiatrist, knowing your history of symptoms and hospitalizations, would recommend withdrawing medication. Please listen to their advice and keep taking your meds.

I feel you. Please continue to let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So you want to go without taking anti-psychotic medication and you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Well, maybe it is the medication that has kept you symptom free. Do you think that schizophrenia goes away on its own? I am doubtful that it does. I have read in books on schizophrenia that it is a life-long problem to deal with.

I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and am on an anti-psychotic drug, Abilify, for it. Out of all the anti-psychotic medications I have been on it has caused the least problems for me as far as tiredness goes. It is still a pain to take it because I know I would feel better if I was off it because I would not have to deal with the side effects. I would like to be off it, honestly.

However, I used to get angry a lot before I started taking the medication and the anger has gone away probably due to the fact that it acts like a straight-jacket for my brain. I do not know if going off it would cause the anger and other psychotic symptoms to return. I do know that my parents treat me better because I am on it and they would not like it if I were off it because psychotic thoughts and behavior might return. My doctor would probably want me to stay on anti-psychotic medication, as well.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanx everybody Im just so tired all the time I sleep12-14 hours a day like 5 then 3 then 3 then 2 hrs the good thing is Im not depressed I actually have more money on disability then I did when I was working because I spent it all on booze and stuff that goes with that life style. Maybe Ill just get a lower does I take an old generation antipsychotic prolixin maybe I could switch to a new one like abilify or something even newer. But Im not afraid to fail and be hospitalized it wouldnt come to that Id just up my meds. Switching to prolixin pills instead of the shot maybe Ill feel better .
Old 08-05-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope the doctor is able to adjust the meds to make you feel much better.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I give up on getting off medication I have been hospitalized 15 times I need to accept I have schizoaffective bi-polar disorder. I would not have been in the hospital so many times if I didnt try to get off medication so many times. Why would this time be any different then the last failed efforts each time it got worse psychosis for me last months shackled to stretchers ambulance rides arrested hospitalized for months I dont want to go threw that again although I would like to get on a new generation antipsychotic Ill talk to my psych.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
I give up on getting off medication I have been hospitalized 15 times I need to accept I have schizoaffective bi-polar disorder. I would not have been in the hospital so many times if I didnt try to get off medication so many times. Why would this time be any different then the last failed efforts each time it got worse psychosis for me last months shackled to stretchers ambulance rides arrested hospitalized for months I dont want to go threw that again although I would like to get on a new generation antipsychotic Ill talk to my psych.
Sounds like a plan! You absolutely know what to do. The newer medications are just as effective and many people feel they have a lower side effect profile. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and try something new.

Best wishes
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Most schizophrenics do not spend their entire lives grossly psychotic or delusional. Sometimes symptoms fluctuate, usually meds are meant to keep you from getting back into that state.

I've been in a "remission" of sorts for about 16 months. No voices, no meds since last April but I'm starting to get into one of those states where I'm a little tangential and all over the place and something as simple as ordering at a restaurant seems to try the server's patience. I'm not comfortable talking to people right now and I'm not sure I entirely make sense. I've got a lumberjack's beard and a glint in my eyes. I can't focus on anything at work. I hate this feeling and its usually my early warning that I have to go back on my meds.

I'm really tired of lifelong dependence on them but there were many times I've been hospitalized now where the first thing they ask is, so, were you taking your meds?

Nooooooooo. Every time.

Btw I'm kinda on the verge of a massive decompression so I guess I'll go try them before I quit yet another job or go back to the Shoal Creek Inn. I guess this did not occur to me until I read your post. Thanks.

I will add I've just been through a chaotic breakup and that more than anything seems to have sent me into a spin. Very unstable now. Before this I was doing very good professionally and interpersonally. Relationships scare me because I don't handle loss or conflict very well. But it was worse when we were together, the stressiness was starting to make me talk to myself and I'm not doing that now that I'm on my own without the drama and pain.

But this all just kinda waxes and wanes over the years.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by absconded View Post
Most schizophrenics do not spend their entire lives grossly psychotic or delusional. Sometimes symptoms fluctuate, usually meds are meant to keep you from getting back into that state.

I've been in a "remission" of sorts for about 16 months. No voices, no meds since last April but I'm starting to get into one of those states where I'm a little tangential and all over the place and something as simple as ordering at a restaurant seems to try the server's patience. I'm not comfortable talking to people right now and I'm not sure I entirely make sense. I've got a lumberjack's beard and a glint in my eyes. I can't focus on anything at work. I hate this feeling and its usually my early warning that I have to go back on my meds.

I'm really tired of lifelong dependence on them but there were many times I've been hospitalized now where the first thing they ask is, so, were you taking your meds?

Nooooooooo. Every time.

Btw I'm kinda on the verge of a massive decompression so I guess I'll go try them before I quit yet another job or go back to the Shoal Creek Inn. I guess this did not occur to me until I read your post. Thanks.

I will add I've just been through a chaotic breakup and that more than anything seems to have sent me into a spin. Very unstable now. Before this I was doing very good professionally and interpersonally. Relationships scare me because I don't handle loss or conflict very well. But it was worse when we were together, the stressiness was starting to make me talk to myself and I'm not doing that now that I'm on my own without the drama and pain.

But this all just kinda waxes and wanes over the years.
Ya your right I'm not psychotic or delusional right now but every time I quit my meds within 9 days I'm hospitalized my parents call the cops I live with them. I quit my anti depressant and mood stabilizer but I went back on my mood stabilizer cuz I had no interest in anything and slept 14-16 hours a day was not really depressed but I quess I was I took trazodone anti depressant for sleep but now I take melotonin and benadril for sleep it works good. I wish I did not have to take meds but every time I quit I become psychotic hope you feel better and every thing works out for ya.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm diagnosed schizoaffective and am on Invega Sustena (sp?). It's a shot, and much more effective than Risperdol which I used to be on. Risperdol made me constantly drowsy. With Invega, that has dissapated. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A friend that got over it said - and I'm quoting him here - that living a certain type of lifestyle, taking an abundance of fish oil, meditating morning and night and also doing specific neuroplasticity exercises daily is what helped him. It took him 2 years of consistent discipline and focus to do it. I don't think he's quite 100% better but he'd be very close. He's certainly confident about not taking his medication.

I know in some cases people gradually 'grow out' of having the worser episodes, but that can take decades.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
I'm diagnosed schizoaffective and am on Invega Sustena (sp?). It's a shot, and much more effective than Risperdol which I used to be on. Risperdol made me constantly drowsy. With Invega, that has dissapated. Good luck.
Ya Invega Sustena sounds good its new Ill talk to my psych I see him Monday his way of thinking if its not broke don't fix it he saw me when I was real bad and put me in the hospital arrested by cops taken to mental hospital so he knows how bad I get so he doesn't like to make moves but maybe my psychologist could convince him to make a move if I go that wrought. Ya I took risperdal for awhile 2mg then I went crazy and was hospitalized it wasnt anuff .
Old 08-16-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gamaur View Post
A friend that got over it said - and I'm quoting him here - that living a certain type of lifestyle, taking an abundance of fish oil, meditating morning and night and also doing specific neuroplasticity exercises daily is what helped him. It took him 2 years of consistent discipline and focus to do it. I don't think he's quite 100% better but he'd be very close. He's certainly confident about not taking his medication.

I know in some cases people gradually 'grow out' of having the worser episodes, but that can take decades.
Ya I was doing neuroplasticity then quit my mood stabilizer and had flat effect so I went back on it and feel alot bettter. Im happy for your friend one third will off schizoaffective won't have to take medication there hole life one third do and one third recover after there first episode.