Notices

Officially Off Effexor!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Officially Off Effexor!

Even though the effects will probably still be in my body for a good while--maybe even months, according to my doctor--I am finished with the pills. My doctor was amazed that I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms when I first went from three to two--and then from two to one per day.

As I saw on the other thread, some people have had horror stories getting off of Effexor. I really dodged a bullet so far! Hopefully the new, increased dose of Bupropion will pick up the slack in mood.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, Yay! Your mood seems to be pretty good lately. You didn't murder the guy that dishwashed your cast iron.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually, When I first started tapering two months ago, I was on two Bupropion and two Effexor. I was bright and shiny! Lately I've only been taking three pills--two bupropion and one Effexor. I have a feeling that a 75 mg Effexor pill packs slightly more of a punch than a 75 mg bupropion pill--just my opinion.

In any case, I have been feeling a little flatter in my mood. I am looking forward to ramping up to three bupropion pills (and hopefully I can get back to some MODEST eating again, no thanks to you, Mr. "Ice Cream Cures Every Ill!" ).

As soon as my current 75 mg script runs out, I will be going to 3 100 mg. bupropion pills a day. Then i hope to really feel good again.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Good job! Yeah you dodged a bullet with the withdrawal from Effexor.

One time I lost my script (this was back in '07) and it was the weekend. I went to work as a a server and started getting the withdrawals. They were so bad that I had to go home! I was slurring my words and my skin felt like it was jumping! Weirdest feeling ever!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Now that I'm a full month into my 300mg a day I need to rein in the diet as well. Been eating to replace all the calories I used to drink. Time to trim that down.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of the side effects of bupropion that i was really looking forward to was weight loss (for some people, even to the point of anorexia!). Haven't really felt it so far. I want to lose ten more. I had lost five--but in the last two weeks I've been eating like a runaway train, and gained 5 back.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, BTW, Trach--my skillet didn't really lose much seasoning in the dishwasher! At least it doesn't look that way. Probably tastes like chlorine! I plan to self-clean it in the oven tomorrow, then work on seasoning it properly with flaxseed oil, as per the blog entry.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Your pan will love you for it.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm at 300 mg a day Effexor. A few years ago, I didn't realize what was going to happen if I just stopped taking them. I lasted three days. After that, every time I spoke I cried. Weird.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and see if anything bizarre happens!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Gilmer! I'm so glad you haven't had too much difficulty with withdrawal. I know from family experience that drug can be a beast.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been slightly down for the past few days, especially in the evenings. This morning I feel slightly down, too. Usually the playing field is totally level, fresh and clean in the mornings.

aybe this is a withdrawal symptom from Effexor. I would hate to think that Wellbutrin just doesn't take care of my depression on its own! Effexor had the one noxious side effect that the new one supposedly doesn't. I would be crushed if I had to go back to Effexor and give up all hope of being "normal" ever again.

Maybe I'll just have to tough it out for awhile. I'm kind of in a panic about that. I usually keep myself medicated to the gills at the first whiff of seasonal depression. I think what I'm feeling now is terror. I guess that's a withdrawal symptom.

Usually adding a new diversion greatly helps with my depression. That's what I'm scared of now.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I don't think you're up to full strength wellbutrin effect yet. Give it a little more time. Don't Panic!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Gilmer and Trachy ---- I've been on antidepressants for more years than I can count. I have both "regular" depression and the winter variety. For the winter stuff, I mostly use a special lights visor early am for 1/2 hour. I've been on more different antidepressants than I can count. Some don't work at all, some have rotten side effects and some work partially. According to a relative of mine, Effexor is a nasty one and in some people causes huge weight gain. I can't afford that!!! Wellbutrin didn't work for me, unfortunately. I think we're all a little different and what works for one doesn't work for all!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Approaching dinnertime now--had a big lunch. Will eat light for the rest of the night. Appetite good compared to what it's been. Jittery in mouth and shoulders. Odd feeling. Inside, not outside.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I am glad you are doing well
Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you, Spryte. I am feeling super-hyper in my head right now.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Two things have touched my heart today and my eyes have welled up with tears. That is a miracle I have not experienced since 2006 (when the tears were not good).
Old 07-30-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That hyperness has gotta be withdrawals. I haven't felt the slightest hyper-ness from straight bupropion. YMMV.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm sure it is. i hope i can get to sleep tonight.